Iverson

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by buddahfan, Dec 9, 2006.

1. BigDaddy

BigDaddy First Round Draft Pick

I don't know if I would pull the trade either.Do we lose to much in accordance to what we gain to pull off the trade?But even if it doesn't happen Dumars needs to make some kind of a move I think.Hopefully if it is in our conference it doesn't make that team unstoppable.
  2. lapeapod

lapeapod First Round Draft Pick

For me the bottom line is the Pistons need to swing a trade to position themselves for the playoffs. The trade can come now when there is time to integrate the new player (or players) into the flow or later when it is slightly more difficult. If Flip would develop the bench more (meaning significant minutes every night for Maxiell, Delfino and even Amir Johnson) there wouldn't be a need for a trade. The Pistons can pick up a back-up guard at anytime, they are not hard to find so that's an easy fix. I'm loving the AI discussion since there's no middle ground on The Answer. Talented players are not without their faults but I think Iverson would take the Pistons to the next level and just grease the wheels for the Pistons to be the favorite to be the beast of the east. For me does Iverson make your team better? Absolutely yes on that one!
  3. max

max All-Star

Thats what I am thinking. Give us a nice 3 year window. Not that we don't have a chance, AI would help make it happen.

Also developing the bench gives you more to trade. Which is why this trade will not happen assuming Dumars was even in the mix.
  4. himat

himat Bench Warmer

5. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

AI loves the Piston orginization and what they stand for. I remember him saying after losing in`04 to the Pistons during the playoffs, that he loved playing against them and how unselfish they play.

That tells me he would love to play FOR a team like that. We have been lacking that slasher, create your own shot at will kind of player and AI would provide that immediately.

Someone mentioned he doesn`t make anyone better, well on the Pistons he wouldn`t have too. As a 76er he was asked to damn near avg 25-30 ppg and play 38-40 mpg, as a Piston those #`s would decrease. IMO at this point in his career AI would do whatever he has to for a Ship.

I wouldn`t mind having AI at all........
  6. detteam

detteam All-Star

Good post Dlev.

The big difference between CB & AI: CB has a ring and AI has the money. They both want what they don't have. Given my speculation as a Piston fan, I'd rather have AI right now.

Let's face facts...CB is as good as gone at season's end. And Nazr (ring also) is no Ben, with decreasing PT. Pack them with Flip and a 2nd round and get AI...a guy that still has the desire and can be a difference maker at playoff time.

The window is closing...get the job done NOW.

JMO
  7. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

This concept has turned me into a waffle factory... so many pros and cons... guess it depends on how broke the Pistons are... right now it doesn't look like much fixin' is needed... but that could change next week :^)
  8. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

The pistons are always broke and Mr. Davidson better start (like the astute businessman he is) taking advantage of the parity level. If he needs any obvious examples, perhaps he should take a long look around from his front row perch at the surrounding empty seats.

This is a different NBA from just two years ago... youthful quickness, athletic and lots of movement. Defense checking left the pistons minus a two step; one, from bump and hand-checking and second, they (as a team) are a step slower, even with Flip's very good zone defense. You will run out of ways in holding teams down below 85 pts., because a whole-lot of mental consistency is not there.
  9. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Ok... so what are your thoughts about dealing for A.I. ?
  10. hack

hack First Round Draft Pick

``You will run out of ways in holding teams down below 85 pts., because a whole-lot of mental consistency is not there.''

What does that mean?
  11. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

I'm leanin' towards Denver landing A.I.
    Karl is a big fan and they can afford to move some contracts.
    Something like Joe Smith (exp), Najera, Boykins, J.R. Smith and a 1st rounder for A.I.
    Philly is boxed in a corner since everyone knows they have to deal their problem child soon.
  12. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I don't really buy the argument that everyone knows the Sixers need to trade AI, so they won't present good deals.

This is like an auction. AI is a very valuable commodity and probably worth his salary... which is unusual in these situations. Not only that, but he will increase sales even if he doesn't make the other team better.

Philly should be able to get some really good talent in return, or a ton of flexibility.
  13. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

That's a great point about the business side of things. Few players are as big a ticket as Iverson.
  14. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

C. Webber is a lot happier since A.I. is out of Philly. I have a feeling that if A.I. would come to Detroit Sheed's attitude and game would go to hell just like Webber's did trying to play with Iverson.

Sheed is even more emotional and sensitive than Webber. So I can only imagine. No I don't even want to think about it.

Philadelphia Inquirer | 12/11/2006 | Webber steps forward, accepting the torch

:hoops:
  15. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

That article would be very amusing if one proposed trade scenario that I've seen goes through--both Iverson AND CWebb to the Knicks for Stevie Franchise, Q-Rich, Malik Rose, and Channing Frye. :laugh:
  16. Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter First Round Draft Pick

Word is that AI is officially gone from Philly. The only question is when, where and for who. Here are some of the reported offers on B. King's table:

Bulls: P.J. Brown and Michael Sweetney, with guard Ben Gordon and a first-round (New York's probable lottery) pick.

Dallas: Jerry Stackhouse, Austin Croshere, and Devin Harris.

Boston: Anyone other than Paul Pierce. That includes Gerald Green, Sebastian Telfair and forward Al Jefferson. Plus, Wally Szczerbiak or Theo Ratliff in order to make a deal work.

Golden State: Mike Dunleavy Jr., Troy Murphy or Jason Richardson. The Sixers also want Monta Ellis.

Timberwolves: Randy Foye and any number of players to make the salaries fit.

Clippers: Corey Maggette and Shaun Livingston.

Grizzlies: Eddie Jones.

Kings: Mike Bibby.

Magic: Grant Hill, Treva Aziza, and Jameer Nelson.

All rumors of course. The question is what would you do if you were the Philly GM?

This could have far reaching consequences since an improved Philly team might also improve our Orlando draft pick. :sssh:
  17. roscoe36

I'd take the Magic deal, because Hill's expiring relieves the cap situation somewhat and Nelson can be jettisoned if he doesn't mix when his rookie deal comes up. I think Ariza is a total scrub.

My second choice would be the Clipper deal. Livingston has a lot of game, and Maggette is a bonafide 20 PPG scorer. Think of

Livingston
    Maggette
    Iguodala
    Webber
    Dalembert

Not a bad starting 5 at all.
  18. DirtyMoney

DirtyMoney First Round Draft Pick

Magic's deal is the best one i see
  19. Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter First Round Draft Pick

If I'm Philly, I'd go with either Chicago's deal or Bostons. Sweetney, Ben Gordon, an expiring contract and a lottery pick ain't nothin to sneeze at.

West, Jefferson and Green would give em a solid nucleus as well.

Teams will pay for AI. They know what he can do.
  20. roscoe36

West, Jefferson and Green don't give the Celtics a good nucleus.

Sweetney is a HORRIBLE basketball player.

The Magic deal is the best of the lot you posted Mad.