Iverson

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by buddahfan, Dec 9, 2006.

1. Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter First Round Draft Pick

I see it a lil differently Micro. Granted, Sweetney ain't "all that." But he gives Philly some beef down low and might make a good bodyguard for Dalembert. Ben Gordon is a bonifide stud who may be only a year away from breakin out himself. That lotto pick is a good chance to nab a future all-star if the hype is right.

I'd laugh the Magic offer off the table. The expiring contract of a broke-down Grant Hill, Aziza (so-so) and Nelson (legit) would get B. King run outta town in Philly.

Don't underestimate Boston's current group of young'uns. They got some legit youngsters that ain't quite emerged yet. A change of scenery might do them wonders.

2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

3. roscoe36

4. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

I like the Clipper deal the best if I am Billy King. Maggette is a 20ppg player and god for 6 boards a game. Maggette's numbers are down because he has excepted a 6 man role this season. Livingston has a lot of game.

The second deal I like is the Orlando deal.

5. Winless Wonders

I can't remember where I read it but I read that Pat Riley might make a run at Iverson.

The thinking is that Riley believes Shaq can police Iverson and make it work. A Wade / Iverson backcourt is scarry on paper. However, I think Shaq would never see the ball and his ego would get bruised by being on the outside looking in which might be good news for playoff teams and and provide an early playoff exit for the Heat.

6. Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter First Round Draft Pick

Exactly. The east is tanking and Orlando is pretending. The east needs a blockbuster trade to get the juices flowing again.

7. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

I disagree WW. Shaq would ensure that he got the ball when he wanted it, and Wade would accomodate him as needed. Shaq would be more than happy to let Wade and AI do their thing, as he picks his moments to shove his massive elbows in somebodys chops, while going to the bucket.

This is not the same Shaq as a couple of years ago, right now he would be happy to compete in some more ships, it doesn`t matter if he is a major contributor or not.

8. easybuckets

easybuckets First Round Draft Pick

The Kings seem likely, I think Mike Bibby's Dad is there, and Mike and Chris Webber have played together before. But who knows what will go down! I'm sure Allen will not come to Detroit.

9. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

Kings officially took themselves out of the running.

10. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Personally I'd choose the Dallas deal. The one I hypothetically came up with a few days ago. http://www.pistonsforum.com/62787-post11.html

Philly needs to tank the season and rebuild with draft picks. Even if they pick up a Bibby or Maggette they might make the playoffs but they aren't winning anything worthwhile.

So get the Croshere and Stackhouse contracts which will expire this year (who are both quite servicable in the meantime), use Harris as PG, pick up a top 3 '07 draft pick along with the Dallas 1st rounder, maybe even trade up the '07 board with dalembert, and there you are - rebuild mode.

at least do it properly instead of being a halfway pretender.

11. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I would love to see a longshot win the Oden lottery pick and really frustrate all the franchises that elected to tank out the season.

12. roscoe36

I think the Top 5 in this draft will be like 2003. You will have an 80% chance of grabbing a superstar.

But Oden is just sick. Still, anywhere in 2~5 will be a decent consolation prize.

NBADraft.net | Home

13. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

No PG's until pick 24 which is Detroits. I thought big men were a dying breed in the NBA?

14. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

Off the topic of Iverson, but on topic of the upcoming draft and big men:

I notice in the mock draft that Roscoe linked to, they don't include Randolph Morris of Kentucky, a 6'10" junior power forward. He was hyped big-time coming out of high school, but after a disappointing freshman year, he entered the draft, only to come back after not being picked at all. Apparently he got some horrible advice, and might have been swayed by being familiar with two of his high school southeast-regional contemporaries from AAU ball, Dwight Howard and Josh Smith. Morris had to sit out the first part of last season under NCAA suspension for having partial dealings with an agent when he was looking to get into the draft.

Anyway, Morris is now playing VERY well for a not-so-good Kentucky team. They played at North Carolina last week, and though UNC won (Kentucky's guard play is god-awful), Morris absolutely annihilated UNC's Tyler Hansbrough, a pre-season All-America big-hype guy whom NBADraft.net has going at #23 (to the Pistons, actually). But between those two guys in this game, it was no contest--Morris whipped his a#$ both on offense and on defense. If Morris continues to have that good a season, and if (I guess this is a big issue) he can convince NBA people that he's not a clueless head-case anymore, he should easily be a first-round pick.

15. Winless Wonders

I read an article this week that there is a loophole in the NCAA and NBA agreement and that Morris actually is a free agent and could be signed by any team right and play in the NBA this season if he drops out of Kentucky. Some Nba teams are not sure of his status and don't want to get sanctioned for tampering but there are a few teams that are have been inquiring about him. These these teams however are concerned about the public backlash about stealling the kid from Kentucky and asking him to drop out of school mid school year.

16. max

max All-Star

Thats interesting. Wonder why its never come up before. Suppose its usually in the players best interest to play by the rules and wait until the years up.

17. Winless Wonders

I think Morris is the first kid to put his name in the NBA draft not hire an agent and not get drafted. So he was allowed to go back to school per the agreement between the NBA and NCAA. This is what created this loopole that since Morris was in the NBA draft and not drafted he is a free agent. Most kids pull there name before the draft when they realize they are not going to be drafted or worse hire an agent and give up there college eilgibilty.

18. max

max All-Star

thanks for the info.

Kind of getting off topic. Why would a rookie need an agent when all contracts are pre-determined by the CBA? There is no negotiating anymore.

Is it required that they have to get an agent? Or is it just pressure from the agents themfelvs in that get one now or no one will take you on later to negotiate your shoe deals and whatnot.

19. Winless Wonders

Agents are like the ambulance chasing lawyers. Rookies don't really need agents especially with the current CBA but they do provide a service.

The agent sells the player on the fact that they are looking out for the players interests. The agents have contacts to get these guy's shoe deals, promotion deals, commercials and movie deals. Agents use there contacts to get these players into the hottest parties and mingle with other young stars. They also have them interact with other clients in the NBA and other sports like NFL and MLB.

In reality you don't ever need a agent. All you need is to pay a lawyer to look over the contract. You can negotiate a deal yourself and pocket the agents commission. All of the perks that an agent provides can be done on your own if you are a budding star. Now if you are a bench warmer well things might be diffferent.

Now a back on topic comment:
    I am surprised Iverson's agent has not spoken up yet. I don't think he is going to let Iverson sit another week. He may start the Philly is tanking games on purpose chant to get Iverson traded. There really was not reason to inactivate Iverson other than to tank games in my opinion.

20. roscoe36

Agents can help "sell" players in the draft.

TrueHoop covers William Wesley aka "Uncle Wes" a man who operates alongside one particular agent. While there is no smoking gun, Wes is thought to be heavily tied into Nike, and facilitates a lot of things for a lot of players.

Last offseason, Joe made it clear that he doesn't have the cap understanding that some of the guys on this board do. He relies on an expert to handle those details. Likewise, players may not be familiar with what the rules are, and it's usually sound business advice to retain someone who has been swimming in those waters.