J. Max

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by buddahfan, Sep 12, 2005.

1. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

I thought it would be interesting to get some opinions on J. Max and what we might be looking forward to from him this year.

I have never seen him play but I am sure that there are a few posters here that have.

I would appreciate any input from those that have seen him play at Cinci.

Is he tough enough to be another Ricky M.? I know that is going some, but it sure would be nice to have an enforcer again.

Thanks
  2. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Joe called him the toughest kid in the draft.
    At the Portsmith invitational he desroyed everyone the first day of camp.
    Then was mysteriously held out of the rest of the games... word is he got a gaurantee in the first round (it was Joe).

I've learned my lesson about Summer League performances... but from what he showed was agressiveness to the basket... good rebounding skills... and a nice mid range shot.
    Jury's still out about him defending SF's... Joe said "we see him as a PF" which is kinda dissapointing considering our depth there.
  3. linwood

linwood All-Star

Jmax

My JMax experience is limited to two Bearcat games last season, and a clip of highlights from the summerleague. Not a whole lot to go on, but I can say from the little I have seen, this guy seems amazing. He is big and strong, and seems to be able to jump out of the gym.

The summer league video has a short sequence of him guarding a much taller center, who tries to pull up for a shot... Maxiel slaps it into the upper bowl. He looks great. Time will tell if he can light it up with the big boys, but I am very excited about the guy.

The two NCAA games I saw last year were against Kentucky, and then either Kentucky or Michigan State in the tourney. (Sorry, I can't remember which) Jmax played PF and (I think) mostly Center for the Bearcats. He was everywhere. Grabbing boards, blocking shots, shaking the rim with dunks, and even shooting threes.

Let the season begin already!
  4. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

I can't wait for the pre-season just to see these new kids & the foreigners. J-max is a player that people think is too short to play PF so some keep wanting to make him a SF, but that's a dangerous thing to do. Don't ever tell a player with heart that they don't have enough size, speed, etc. Somebody tell Charles Barkley he was too small to be a PF. Last time I checked Barkley was only 6'4". And correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't Larry Johnson only 6'7". Those 2 had toughness and athleticism that equalized everything. I just hope he's down in Virginia with Ben right now in THE CAGE!!!!!!
    The Panda likes this.
  5. DaviaG-Rap

DaviaG-Rap First Round Draft Pick

Max

The problem isn't that Maxiell CANT play PF, the problem is how is he going to get minutes there with all the vets in front of him? The only way he is going to get regular minutes is by playing SF. That doesn't mean he has to play like a SF though. I hear Flip likes to use a zone, could you imagine a lineup with Chauncey, Tay, Maxiell, Ben, and Darko?
  6. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Dave my man think past this season. I caould see him developing in such a way that we trade away our log jam at the 4. Be it Ben, Sheed, Darko, Davis etc. (Dyess has a no trade clause). Throw the rock up and let them fight for it. Kinda like in football, when you gotta 2nd year guy ready to go, it now makes a vet expendable. This year I don't see Max getting much run unless somebody gets hurt or dissappoints, be it Sheed, Dyess, Darko, Davis etc.
  7. DirtyMoney

DirtyMoney First Round Draft Pick

He appears to be a person that can play SF and PF if need be. Even been was guarding the smaller positions.
  8. himat

himat Bench Warmer

After watching the summer league he looks like a great aquistion. He so big, and long he'll sometimes need to get double-teamed which would get us a lot of open looks. Plus even if he doesn't end up being as good as we say he is right now he'll get a lot better because he's an extremely hard-worker so he fits the team greatly.
  9. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

J-Max

He is their number 1 pick. :first: Unlike young Darko. he will get more playing time because JD dosn't want him to waste away like his prized #1 pick of 2003. He will be in Flip's ear that first month to make sure Max gets his shot. J-Max has to make an impression though in preseason just make sure he does get those the minutes.
  10. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

J-Max

After watching him in SLeague, I have no worries. He'll get playing time because he is agressive.

If you've ever played ball yourself, you must have come across some players who were 3-4 inches shorter than you, but played bigger. JMax is one of those barrell chested dudes that just knocks you out of the way and gets what he wants. I can't wait to see him and Ben play at the same time.
  11. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

After Mid Season When He Has Some Experience

it would be interesting to see him go head to head with Bowen and/or Artest. Don't know that it will happen, but it would be interesting. All three are about the same height though J. Max weighs a bit more than Artest and Bowen.

There goes the bell to round 1.
  12. himat

himat Bench Warmer

He's a monster inside I just hope he's good enough to maybe get Shaq, JO, and Duncan in foul trouble in the playoffs.
  13. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    Maybe, just maybe...
  14. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    Yeah, imagine this lineup.
  15. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Oh ......I thought the J. Max appreciation thread was beginning......