JALEN A PISTON?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by easybuckets, Oct 29, 2006.

1. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

Just went to Coscos and stocked up on toilet paper, I'm good. Thanks.

2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I don't buy that Rose is suddenly old. That's nonsense spinsterizing from Zeke.

Jalen is a lousy defender, but he always was. That is not new.

I don't see this move happening, but if it did, Rose would absolutely have a blast playing on a winning team with a character based organization. I watched a LOT of this guy in Toronto over the last couple years.

IMO, these are the kinds of moves Joe should be making if he is serious about contending for a title this year. Bringing in a max deal vet on the skids for a minimum deal (most of which will be paid by the NBA anyways) is how the Heat added depth for their run with Derek Anderson. It's basically a no risk, all upside opportunity.

3. easybuckets

easybuckets First Round Draft Pick

Why a week? Doesn't Rose clear waivers in 48 hours? I feel that Joe kept the 15th roster spot open in case he could get Jalen.

4. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I completely agree. We have an open roster spot, he's from the D, he wants to play here, we have a need for a vet off the bench that can score, and its a minimum salary contract (most likely).

Get er done Joe!

5. Hobbs

Hobbs First Round Draft Pick

Delfino is gone if we get Rose. There's no way to make that work when Delfino already feels screwed around by the team.

I think Delfino has a good NBA future, but I don't know if that will ever happen here and I think Rose would be a solid addition, so I guess I want Rose here.

6. Superstarov

Superstarov First Round Draft Pick

Really, as far as this season is concerned. Super Dup should be in the Philipeans or something.

I see (hopefully) Delfino, Murray, and Rose all playing, with the odd-men out being the back-up PG's. They'd send the rook to the DL, and keep Hunter, with his minutes down, in case of an injury.

Which would put Murray, Delfino, and Rose at some combination of the 1,2, and 3. Although I'm not convinced that Saunders could wrap his brain around it.

7. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Its a no brainer. Since the 15 spot is open, you grab Rose as soon as he clears waivers. If and when an available center pops up, somebody can be waived or traded then. It may be even Rose himself, but right now grab him to see if he can stablize that swinging SG/PG/F position.

8. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

1. When the Knicks signed Kelvin Cato, it became obvious to me that Jalen Rose was expendable...

2. How did Jalen Rose go the entire preseason without scoring a single point?

9. jammertime

Good point about Cato Bill.

Had Joe D been looking for a C with the 15th roster spot, I think he would have resigned Cato. He didn't, which leads me to believe that he's more worried about other positions with the 15th spot.

A combo guy like Rose would fill multiple needs.

10. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

I'm not against picking up Jalen but there IS a risk... that is you're team gives up more points off the dribble than without him.

11. jammertime

That isn't a risk in signing him, thats a risk in playing him.

Worst case scenario, we sign him as injury insurance. Not that we'd sign him and not play him, but my point is that I really do think its a no risk situation. If we play him and he sucks, we release him or stick him in the Darko spot on the bench. No harm, no foul.

12. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Man you guys are on it, a story breaks and in 2 secs BAM the forumites get to posting, way to go.

That said.... This is a NO-BRAINER!!!!!! Please end ALL DEBATE!!! Jalen got GAME-PERIOD. One thing that you all fail to realize is this.......what happens if Tay gets hurt??? I feel alot better with Jalen starting at the three than bringing Delfino in to do it, or bringing in Flip and moving Rip to the three spot. Not ragging on Delfino, but it appears, while unfortunate, his talent will not be realized here (much like DMC). Delfino can play, but he's not connecting the dots man. In Flips offensive sets the sf stands weakside as a spot up shooter while the pg runs a bunch of strong side pick and rolls. Delfino as a SF does not fit Flips system, he needs the ball more, he needs a heavy dose of minutes also and unfortunately in this system he can get neither. Rose would fit in absolutely perfect here, cost us absolutely nothing and give us EXCELLENT insurance at the SF if something happened to TAY.

Who's under the cap that could claim him off waivers before he clears. The Bulls and Cavs could, couldn't they???

13. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

Exactly. Right now you get a flexible, solid NBA player and he will come in handy during the last couple of months when the starters need the extra energy come playoff time. Thomas is on a youth kick and something must have happened between these two. Perhaps they just quit on each other, since it is rare that Thomas would make public those observations about Rose. This move would not hurt Delfino, since it has been well established that Flip will be giving him every chance too succeed or fail. This is an easy call for JD and it comes at a good time, because it will give Rose a chance to get into shape and blend in with the rest of the team. If a trade before the deadline occurs, it will not break up any depth problems and Rose is cheap insurance.

14. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Skiles would not want Rose on the team. He wouldn't even let Tim Thomas in the gym last year, even though he was under contract.

15. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

You're right about Chi being out of the question. It seems as if the only teams that could claim him before he clears waivers are Atl, Char, Tor, NewOrl......New Orleans might, but not likely. SEW THE JERSEY BABY!!!!!!
    #5 Welcome HOME!!!!!!!

16. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Knicks waive Jalen Rose
    BY BOB HERZOG
    Newsday Staff Writer

October 30, 2006, 10:44 PM EST
    The waiving of Jalen Rose by the Knicks Monday -- no surprise there -- was more of the "good luck" than "good riddance" variety. He wasn't a good fit, but he was a good guy.

BTW, LB the Knicks have reached a settlement

17. jammertime

I hope Flip Sr. reads that article, especially this part:

Looks like Isiah has been reading pf.com! :nod:

18. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I am sure Joe was tipped off to Pf.com last year and is probably a "lurker" reading it too. :)

Lets hope he and Jon Hammond read the posts today and are prepared to make a move Wednesday to sign Rose. Yes a big man is needed, and I am sure they will have somebig body by the trading deadline in February, however in the meantime take the hometown boy who was denied a NCAA championsip twice to see if he can help bring one home this season......

19. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

if we did sign Rose, Delfino would be definetely gone since Flip would surely play Rose above Fino. Rose would be a perfect fit and Fino hasn't had a chance to prove he's real NBA material yet. I also have the fear he'll have a DMC like faith- getting traded for nothing and delivering elsewhere- hopefully I'm wrong..

20. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Chris McCosky - Weblog
    Smelling like Rose

Yes, Joe Dumars is considering Jalen Rose. He has had at least one conversation with him and is somewhat intrigued by the possibility of having him coming off the bench behind Prince and Hamilton. I think Flip Saunders is for it. There are other considerations, though. You are talking about bringing him for one year, two at the most. If you do, you know you will lose Carlos Delfino. You aren't going to be able to sell him on waiting one more year for his chance. But, if you ask me who I would rather have for one year, Rose or Delfino, I am taking Rose, no question. But long term, you don't know exactly how much Rose has left in the tank. He will be 34 in January.
    I am not worried about chemistry. Rose has never been a problem on a good team and there are enough vets, enough solid guys that if Rose acted up, he would be ostracized. Stay tuned. There will be more about it in the News tomorrow.