JALEN A PISTON?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by easybuckets, Oct 29, 2006.

1. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Blakely Weblog
    October 30

Pistons update...
    The last week or so, I've gotten a good number of e-mails asking about Jalen Rose, who was waived by the New York Knicks on Monday. There will be a story online tomorrow examing Detroit's pursuit of Jalen, and what impact it'll have on the team's current roster.

There are some who question whether Jalen still has anything left in the tank, for the Pistons, or any other team for that matter.

The answer to that question is yes ... and no!

He can be a very productive player, even at 33 years of age - which is AARP time in the NBA. However, he's not going to give you a lot if you're expecting him to play 25-30 minutes a night.

If you only need him 15-20 minutes a night, he can be a good addition to any ball club that's a legit playoff team. Detroit doesn't have a definite need for him right now, but what he brings - the ability to impact games in short spurts from multiple positions because of his versatility - could come in handy come playoff time.

And as far as those who believe Jalen isn't down to go anywhere that doesn't give him a chance to play decent minutes, I'm not convinced that's where his head is right now.

It certainly wasn't there when he and I talked in March when the Pistons were in New York City. He talked about wanting to be in a winning situation, sooner than later. And whenever we talk, he ALWAYS talks about how Detroit was his team growing up, how he loved Isiah and those guys, the way they played and how someday, he'd love to play for Detroit.

I asked him at the time about playing time, because my thinking - and from what I've gathered, a number of GMs have the same concern - was that it might be a potential stumbling block for him . He told me he was like any player in the league; he wanted to play as much as he could, just as long as it wasn't hurting the team. But at this point in his career, it's more important to be with good guys who were all about winning which, when translated, means 'I'll take a cut in playing time if it means a few more Ws.'

2. max

max All-Star

He essentially would be brought in for the same role Delfino is supposed to play so pick your poisen. There are only so many mins in a basketball game.

If we pass then we may regret it if there is a key injury to Prince or Rip come playoff time but thats the way it goes.

I see a need for a backup point. I don't like Flip Murry at backup point and am only giving that experiment a month or so and am not sure Hunter can play extended mins. I would rather we pursued a backup point if possible rather than doubling up with Jalen and having to trade Delfino. I am willing to take a risk with Delfino this season.

3. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I had a daydream of the Pistons acquiring Rose, trading Fino for a future 2nd rounder and battling with Milicic for the MIP- award...

4. easybuckets

easybuckets First Round Draft Pick

The news is that the Heat and Lakers are looking at Jalen. The Heat can't promise much playing time and the Lakers don't have a roster spot. Here's hoping that Jalen will be a Piston. Joe talked to him Monday and said that he could not give him a lot of playing time. So I guess he is welcome here and it will be up to Jalen. So Jalen if you are reading this, please come to Detroit! We want you and love you and you could win a ring here. You are our hometown hero.

5. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

From today's Det News:

"I told Jalen that he would have a limited role here in Detroit," said Pistons president Joe Dumars, who spoke to Rose on Monday. "I told him that we were not opposed to bringing him here under the right circumstances. But it would have to be a win-win for both sides."
    Rose said he was looking to sign with a contending team, that he was looking for a chance to earn another contract after this season and was hoping to find a situation where he would play 20 to 25 minutes.
    Dumars would guarantee neither another contract beyond this season nor that many minutes.
    "He will explore other options, I am sure," Dumars said. "He said he would get back in touch with us (today)."

6. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I could see Rose as a Laker.

7. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

Rose makes more sense for the Lakers than Mo. I wouldn't be suprised, especially if Mo has a bad game tonight, if the Lakers waive someone (not necessarily Mo) to sign Rose.

He'd also look good on Orlando as Duke insurance (Ghilll/JJ Redick)

8. roscoe36

Oh snap! I forgot to mention that Jalen is awesome in interviews. He says a LOT without being blatant.

I can't see it happening, but every hour, I want this guy here, more and more.

9. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

radio reporting that it's between miami and detroit. tricky situation...if you sign him so miami can't have him, you gotta give him PT. do you cut flip's or delfino's minutes? etc., etc.

10. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Here's how the conversation really went...

"Jalen, officially, you will have a limited role here in Detroit... but the guy ahead of you will probably end up being benched due to cold shooting and we are going to look to trade him after 3 months or so. Your primary role will be as the back-up to Tay at the end of the season and through the playoffs. We are not opposed to bringing you here, but there is a slight chance that Delfino will actually succeed. You can calculate the odds and let us know if is something that you are willing to gamble on. The fans will love you because they know you have Detroit in your blood. Besides, the nightlife in Miami is overrated. Stay cool."

11. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

That's funny stuff... and prolly close to the truth :^)

12. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I agree that the vibe that Joe D is giving publicly is strongly understated. At least, I hope so. I honestly do not see what there is to lose by signing him.

13. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

If we lose him to Miami I will be very unhappy.

14. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Joe is very conscious of the reputation of the Pistons and how the organization treats players (maybe overly so at times). If he signs Jalen, then he will end up with either an unhappy Jalen, or an unhappy Delfino, depending on who ends up with most of the PT.

But in this case, he is probably playing it the right way. He is refusing to publicly guaranty PT to Jalen, so that we can't be blamed in the marketplace if he never sees meaningful minutes. But I really do think that in their private conversations, Joe has got to be pretty frank about the uncertainty with our exising SF backup and the liklihood that Jalen would get minutes down the stretch.

15. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

Jalen a Piston? HELLLL NAW! i REMEMBER WHEN HE WAS A NAPPYHEAD 9 YR OLD AND HE WAS BAD NEWS THEN! He hasn't won a thing since he left Southeastern High. Remember the Fab 5 never even won a Big Ten Championship. Jalen adds nothing intangible to anyone's team.

16. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

He brought the baggy shorts into style with the Fab Five. Think of the intangible fashion trend benefits that he could bring to the Pistons. Maybe he'll bring short shorts back this time around.

17. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

We have enough players with intangibles HQ. That's not what I'm looking for out of Rose. We need a vet that can score off the bench. That's what Rose brings.

As long as he isn't a distraction or bad apple, for the league minimum, thats good enough for me.

Plus, if he ends up in Miami I'll shoot myself.

18. roscoe36

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand HOW.

19. easybuckets

easybuckets First Round Draft Pick

I read that Jimmy Walker who was drafted by the Pistons in 1967 and was a two time all star, is Jalen Rose's estranged father. How can Jalen give up that kind of history. Jalen needs to be here in Detroit. Give Delfino his opportunities at the beginning of the year and if he doesn't improve then Jalen can play. I think Miami is only looking to play Jalen at the point till Williams comes back. I sure hope Jalen is on our bench tomorrow night. Plus Jalen will be able to get his family and friends game tickets here. I'll bet his mom wants him here too.

20. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I'm with DHQ - all I can ever remember hearing about Rose paints him as a bad apple kind of guy. Hard to tell how much of that is true or not.

I also think of Sheed as always just sitting on the bad apple fence, ready to topple either way. You toss one apple onto the dark side and before you know it, it's Darth Sheed.