1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

JALEN A PISTON?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by easybuckets, Oct 29, 2006.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Too true dba. But then, Antoine Walker, Gary Payton, Alonzo Mourning and Jason Williams were all considered cancerous to their team at one time or another.

Jalen so badly wants to play and win. Besides, we could use another guy with some "dog" in him.

But I'm seriously feeling this is another Joe Dumars tease, ala Latrell Sprewell.

2. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

YES! ......and like the league says, NO ONE has EVER complained about Sheed being a bad teammate. Thats Jalen's rep all over. If MAteen Cleaves played on the Fab 5 , they would have won 4 National Titles!

3. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

FOUR WORDS 4 YA: SHAQUILLE O'NEAL DWAYNE WADE

4. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

True... he will be influenced by family & friends

5. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

Yeah...have you SEEN his family and friends..Go over by SW High!!:gun1: :cold:

6. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I thank God every day that we didn't get Spendwell.

7. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

From Blakely's weblog
    Mlive

Pistons update...
    1:15 p.m. 10/31/06

Just finished talking with John Hammond, Detroit's vice president of basketball operations, a few minutes ago. Here's what he had to say on the Jalen Rose issue.

"The process is that he's waiting to become an unrestricted free agent once he clears waivers," Hammond said. "Once he clears, the ball is in his court."

Hammond wouldn't get into specifics, but there's no doubt the Pistons would love to add him to their roster. He would play limited minutes at the small forward spot behind Tayshaun Prince, which wouldn't necessarily impact Carlos Delfino as much as some might believe.

Delfino could slide over to the shooting guard spot and play some there, which would make Flip Murray almost exclusively a backup for Chauncey Billups.

8. roscoe36

I dunno. Blakely was the first guy to try and sell Flip Murray as a PG.

Maybe in Flip's super efficient offense, Flip Murray can be a PG. But I would rather see Rose playing PG than Murray.

Billups --> Rose
    Hamilton --> Murray
    Prince --> Delfino

Btw, I'm pretty sure statistically, playing Delfino anywhere but the 3 on offense is a mistake.

9. easybuckets

easybuckets First Round Draft Pick

holla@jalenrose.com is what it says is his email address on his website. . Let's all send him emails asking him to sign with Detroit. He is giving away a lot of money to kids in Detroit. I don't see him as a bad apple. And I never heard of A BAD APPLE FENCE. What in the world is that!!!!!!

10. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

not a bad way to sell it to jalen. first of all, he has a point. chauncey's only backup is lindsey, and might as well use him in spot duty while resting him for the playoffs. having a single backup for each position (rose, murray, delfino, mcdyess, maxiell) isn't bad at all. this would give the pistons a chance to see if delfino (and even murray) can provide adequate bench play. if so, great, the bench is even deeper. if not, fine, one of the players can receive fewer minutes and we'll still be okay.

11. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

It's that fine line between the good Sheed and the evil twin Sheed. Between the best teammate in the world and the guy riding around with Damon Stoudamire in a car full of weed.

12. roscoe36

Cheech and Chong flashback... :pound:

13. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Wonder what the Arnie factor would be for reviving Jalens conditioning.

14. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

He can't be that far out of shape. He played over 40 minutes in quite a few games just last spring with the Knicks.

15. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

Just heard it is between the Heat and the Pistons for Jalen's services. I am quite sure he just got that call from the Diesel asking Jalen to come aboard the Wadeship.:stirthepot:

16. roscoe36

Understanding what it would cost to sign Jalen Rose.

Chris McCoskey reported in the Detroit News that Jalen Rose could be signed to a minimum contract, which would be $1,178,348.

HOWEVER

The NBA reimburses a portion of the contract when teams sign veteran players to one year, 10 day or "rest of season" contracts.

The team only pays and takes the cap hit for the contract value of a 2nd year minimum contract player. That amount this season is $744,551.

The difference

$1,178,348
    - $744,551
    $ 433,797

is paid by the league.

17. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

install the Jalen Rose search toolbar. it sounds like a cool item.

18. detteam

detteam All-Star

I think Rose would come here for the min...afterall...he's walking off with $14M of Isiah's buyout money. Could you even imagine the added insult-to-injury for Isiah if Jalen come's here on the cheap and has a decent year with the Pistons?

19. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

That's really scary that you know how to figure these sort of things out...

20. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Chris McCosky
    Rose update, and other stuff

There are four teams in the running for Jalen Rose -- as of right now. I will list them in the order of who I think has the best chance of getting him: Miami, Lakers, Detroit, Phoenix.
    Pat Riley is telling Rose what he wants to hear -- he will get lots of playing time. Riley is telling him he will play immediately at the point because Jason Williams is hurt. He said he also will play him at small forward when he moves Antoine Walker to power forward and goes to a smaller lineup. What Riley isn't telling him is, once Walker comes back, Rose's minutes pretty much get sliced in half. And what Rose isn't telling Riley is, he's way too out of shape right now to help much at point guard. So who knows.
    I think the Pistons are moderately intrigued by Rose, nothing more. I don't think they are looking at it as a do-or-die addition. Which it's not. It will not be the move that kills the Pistons title chances if Rose is sitting on Miami's bench. His impact on the Heat would be, in my opinion, less than Michael Finley's impact was on the Spurs (and that wasn't too much.)Same if he picks the Pistons.
    In any event, we will probably know where he's going before tip-off Wednesday.

On another topic -- how cruel is it for Ben Wallace to have to be down in Miami tonight and watch the Heat's ring ceremony. Wow. Expect that to light a fire under Big Ben, for sure. It's not been a real happy camp for him thus far.