1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

JALEN A PISTON?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by easybuckets, Oct 29, 2006.

1. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I disagree. I think the Piston guards really struggle defending quick guards.

2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I disagree.

Rip and Lindsey can defend smaller players, although Rip was better at steering his man into help.

Chauncey and Murray are not good defenders by any stretch of the imagination, and since Murray has been primarily used as the backup PG in Preseason and the first game, this means that the opposing pivot is the one getting a serving of free chili, which allows for kickouts and dump offs.

Last year, the Pistons were great at defending the 3 because they stayed home. In previous years, it seemed to be a team effort to collapse on the ball.

I would rather see a team beat you from the arc than the FT line and the paint. The philosophy here doesn't seem to make much sense. It's almost like the team has a compulsive disorder brought on by the playoff heroics of Robert Horry.

3. easybuckets

easybuckets First Round Draft Pick

I hope Jalen can react faster on the court than he can in making up his mind on where he wants to play. He already has his money. what a weirdo. And wasn't that agent of his the same one who got the big payday from Ben? Meanwhile some poor dude in Arizona may lose his job over this, as their roster is full.

4. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

WTF?? In this very thread, a couple of days ago when you thought he might sign with the Pistons you said:

"Let's all send him emails asking him to sign with Detroit. He is giving away a lot of money to kids in Detroit. I don't see him as a bad apple. And I never heard of A BAD APPLE FENCE. What in the world is that"!!!!!!

Now he is a slow thinker and a "weirdo" rather than a "good apple" because he chooses to sign somewhere other than Detroit. Too funny.

5. bezeach

bezeach First Round Draft Pick 1x Fantasy Champion

News:
    The Jalen Rose sweepstakes appear to be over.
    The winner? Phoenix.
    According to his personal blog at JalenRose.com, Rose has chosen to play in Phoenix after being courted by the Suns, Miami Heat and Detroit Pistons. Rose was bought out by the New York Knicks during the preseason.
    "Being waived by the New York Knicks has created an opportunity for me to find a team to play on that will hopefully get me back into the playoffs with a realistic opportunity to win a NBA Championship," Rose wrote. "I am lucky and thankful to the numerous teams that have shown interest in me over the past few days, in particular Joe Dumars and my hometown Pistons and Pat Riley and the Miami Heat.
    "Choosing the next chapter in my career has been difficult but I am proud to announce that I am now a member of the ... PHOENIX SUNS. I look forward to getting this season started and hope to see you at the Larry O'Brian championship trophy presentation in June. The stage is set, now its time to grind!"
    ESPN.com - NBA - Rose's decision: He says he'll sign with Suns

6. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Should be interesting to see how well he can keep up with the road runners er Suns.... he'll be like that cactus by the side of the road... beep beep. :help2::whip:

7. max

max All-Star

Yes he may have problems adjusting. For 1.2mil its not a bad move.

What happened to Rose? He used to be a marque player in the league. At age 33 he should still be pretty good.

8. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

I can see a Delfino/Rose watch formalizing

9. detteam

detteam All-Star

I think an over-abundance of money has a tendency to make some people lackadaisical. Maybe JoeD recognized that in Rose and he was the one that actually closed the door in Jalen's face as far as negotiating a deal with the Pistons...yet another story we will probably never hear the truth on.

None-the-less, I'm still curious as to what Jalen would have brought to the Pistons this season.

10. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

With Jalen being in a contract year he simply wanted to have the best chance to showcase himself for next year... I guess this is as close to an endorsement as Carlos will get.... We'll see who wins the battle when we play the Suns.
    So on the must see list we have:
    Ben vs Nazr
    Delfino vs Jalen
    Mo vs Delfino
    Delfino vs Ginobili
    Darko vs Sheed/Dice
    Acker vs Delk :P

11. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

The Suns are the perfect spot. Just ask Tim Thomas.

Sorry Detroit. Your coach and system are not sexy.

12. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I'm fine with him in PHX. Anywhere by MIAMI!

13. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

Me too, jammer. Same with Bonzi--too bad he didn't sign with us, but we avoided the worst case of his signing with Miami, and he won't even be in the same conference with us.

14. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

I noticed where Jalen choose the Suns because neither they nor him play any defense. A perfect match.

15. linwood

linwood All-Star

Lol! Good one. So true.:pound:

16. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Joe is saving up for something a little bigger... a mole says it's already in the works but Joe wants to see what's on the plate first.

17. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

There are a couple of bigs out there and former #1 picks in Joe Smith and the kandi man, but hopefully JD passes on both. We don't need to recycle Smith again and the kandi man has to show that he is interested in really playing.

18. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

I don't know whose minutes he's going to take. They signed Marcus Banks as a backup point guard and Barbosa is playing great off the bench. Should be interesting to see how the minutes work out.

19. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

Actually, the Kandi man re-signed with Boston last month. So no taser-iffic twosome for the Pistons this year.

20. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

Don't know why they need another big man as long as Sheed gets into shape physically and mentally. The Nomad is no superstar but as shown last night he can do a better than acceptable job against run of the mill competition which is over half the league. Dyess is still Dyess. The problem is the 10th guy. If JMax can come up to speed, which I believe he can and will then the Pistons should have adequate rebounding against most teams.

I agree I would like to see better rebounding but the only way that the Pistons are going to get signficantly better rebounding to trade one of there starters for a top rebounder like a Boozer etc. But that isn't going to happen.

The question I think is, do the Pistons want another Elder assuming they can find and sign one, because that is all they will get at the best without trading away a starter, or do they want to continue to develop JMAX this year. I vote for developing JMax.

One thing I have noticed over the years when discussing sports with other fans is how almost all fans seem to want to want to be a GM and engineer a trade, whether it makes sense or not. I guess that is why fantasy sports is so popular.
    :gun1: