Jason Maxiel Offer On The Table

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by armygirl, Oct 12, 2008.

1. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Joe was able to cancel the salary obligation from 2008 through 2011.

Let me know when Charlotte is able to do the same.
  2. MrKent

MrKent First Round Draft Pick

Hey, I pretty much agree with you in principle. I'm just sorry Joe wasted the money and spot on the roster signing the guy to begin with.
  3. MrKent

I'm sure Joe wishes he could cancel the 70 points in the paint we gave up on opening night 2007 as well ... :doh:
  4. MrKent

You're right ... Joe signed Nazr to a bad contract, and then suckered Charlotte into taking it on after he only paid 1.5 years of it ... :p_welldone:

Of course, that cancels out Nazr losing his starting job just 20 games or so into his first season with us ... :doh:

... and it cancels Nazr sitting on the bench being useless when Lebron blasted us for 25 straight in the ECF because we had no inside presence ... :doh::doh:

... and replacing Nazr with C-Webb made it easier to accept the fact that we were basically paying Nazr to keep a seat on the bench warm ... :doh::doh::doh:

Good thing there are enough stupid GMs in the league to enable Joe to "cancel" his mistakes. Now, if Joe had avoided making some of those mistakes in the first place ...
  5. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

Yeah but, common knowledge in basketball says you start your 5 best players and work the rest in with the gameplan. So, that's nothing new to see a guy upset with someone being set to start over them. It's kind of a defacto way of the coach saying these 5 are better than anyone else we have, so they'll start, and most often finish most games.

There are rare instances where this isn't the case, but to 95% of ballplayers will correctly assume that the guy starting over them is considered, at least by the coaching staff, to be better.
  6. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

It's totally obvious that Dyess and Stuckey are also better players than Amir at this point though.

As far as JM being upset, it seems out of character for him. It's possible that he is, but without even 1 quote that signals that, I would have to assume that it's standard negotiating procedure. Or maybe his agent is telling him that even if he's not going to start for the good of the team, he should still be paid like a starter for the good of Jason Maxiell (and his agent).
  7. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

What would Joe have done if he hadn't signed Nazr?
  8. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

oh he should have traded for Dwight Howard and Tim Duncan and given up 3 scrubs and box of office supplies....

sarcasm off.....
  9. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Everybody was useless b/c Flip refused to double team.

---------

What other bad contracts has Joe signed players to or taken on?

Ben didn't stop everyone from scoring in the paint by himself. It was a team effort. If you were putting that much faith into Nazr, you were setting yourself up for disappointment.
  10. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I'm sure Nazr is happy being reunited with LB. Nazr will probably play some backup center for the Bobcats. I bet he'll be more productive than Ben Wallace this year.
  11. MrKent

I never had faith in Nazr. None at all. In fact, I was shocked when some fans suggested he would be a better fit than Ben because he would be an effective offensive threat.

Joe's made his fair share of mistakes, but he's always corrected and/or cancelled them. That's why he's the man ... right behind Ken Holland (for the time being).
  12. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Pistons' Maxiell to become restricted free agent - Detroit Pistons Basketball: News, Blogs, Photos, Audio, Schedule & Stats - MLive.com

13. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

14. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

His 'tract still isn't as big as Amirs. His gotta be like, "what do I have to do"?
  15. Pistons Lover

Pistons Lover First Round Draft Pick

And that's weird to me. He's contract should be bigger than his. I mean come on, Max is a killer when it comes to defense (not saying that Amir won't be) but Max is on his grown man right about now. He should have the correct contract for his work. He's the leader of the Zoo Crew!
  16. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Hey, when did he become the The Leader of the Zoo ? I thought those guys ran pall mall.
  17. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

I believe you are thinking of Darko.
  18. Pistons Lover

Pistons Lover First Round Draft Pick

Oh believe he is the leader of the Zoo Crew...Idc what no one says
  19. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Someone want to dig up some background on this Katz cat? What's his angle? We're going into a recession, a guaranteed deal is nothing to sneeze at. Let's be straight, I love Maxie and he is great, but $15 million is a lot of cheddar to be pushing away.

Not that I think he should cut the Pistons a deal, but I'm not sure he will find more in FA.
  20. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

JMax is getting some really, really, bad advice. Has he looked at the current market? Players either got overpaid or underpaid, with most getting underpaid.

The closest comparable player would be Turiaf, they are the same age, same position, and had almost identical 48 mpg stats. Only real differences are that Turiaf is a better shot blocker and Maxiell is a better offense rebounder, and Turiaf is about 4 inches taller. Turiaf only got 4 mil per year, so it's real hard for me to see JMax getting much more unless he has a break out season.

If he doesn't, stays the same or even regresses, don't be shocked if Joe lowballs him.

Also, there are going to a lot PF's available next year. Most will resign with their teams or not opt out, but it's still going to be a buyers market for the owners.

Possible PF FA's in 2009:
    Carlos Boozer (Player option)
    Mehmut Okur (Player option)
    Jermaine Oneal (Player option)
    Eddy Curry (Player option)
    Sideshow Bob (Player option)
    Andrew Bynum (Restricted)
    Marvin Williams (Restricted)
    David Lee (Restricted)
    Charlie Villanueva (Restricted)
    Channing Frye (Restricted)
    Nenad Kristic (Restricted)