1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Jason Maxiel Offer On The Table

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by armygirl, Oct 12, 2008.

1. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

YES!!!!

2. Latinoking90

Latinoking90 Bench Warmer

We got MAX LOCKED UP!

3. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

Blah.... There are hundreds of guy's that can do what Max does. I hate to be a party pooper, but big deal. I would have let him go to the free agency market if he didn't take the first deal offered. He is restricted so we could have always matched any deal that is offered. With the 5 million we are giving him and Sheed's expiring deal off the books we could have made a play for a big time player in free agency in the off season with 18 or 19 million to spend. Oh well..more of the same:help2:

4. fwoompf

fwoompf First Round Draft Pick

That's incorrect - once the season ends, Sheed will no longer be under contract. He could still be packaged with Max (or anyone) this season.

I don't think that's going to happen though. Who on earth would we trade Sheed and Max for? It would have be some sort of dominant Big, and who would trade that? There aren't even that many.

Also, I think this is a great deal for Max. Not overpaying at all. Dumars is a class act.

5. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Actually, Winless is right except that we would have to give up Max's rights in order to free up his cap value (for a minimum offer).

6. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

My whole point was basically why was this such a big deal that it need to be locked up right now. Wait until the end of the season and see what can be done in the free agent market with some real cash in hand to chase a legit tier 1 free agent. Kobe can opt out and be a free agent this year and I think Tim Duncan is a free agent this year also, I think. Doesn't mean we have a chance of signing those guy's, but atleast have the money there to make an offer. Max is not a coveted big man like Andrew Bynum where you have to lock him up for fear you will get in a bidding war.

Don't get me wrong Max is a nice role player, but if not resigning him meant we could possibly sign a superstar or a young superstar in the making that can shake up this teams chemistry I would do it in a heartbeat. It seems Joe D. is to attach to the players on this team. We have to many players that do the same thing or paly the same position. We need somoen that brings something new to the table.

7. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Given the way this has played out, looks like he was pushing for more time rather than more money. I think we always assume that if someone turns down an offer they're looking for more money, and that's not always the case.

8. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

Maybe Katz and his client understood that market in this summer will be buyers' not sellers.

We'll see many (un)restricted players in this summer no way that somebody is willing to overpay just to get guy (as it happened in the last summer).

9. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Not willing to see Max grab all of the signing thunder, the Lakers signed Andrew Bynum to a 4 year $58 million contract.....Last week they were hesitant about how much they wanted to offer him, wondering if his injury had slowed him, but he looked awesome in the first two games, so they opened their check book...at 21 years old and still 10-15 years ahead of him, I wonder if would be willing to move to Motown in 2012 after getting one or two rings the next couple of years LA

Can you see him Max.,Amir and Bynum as your front court 4 years from now...Ok let me wake up from this dream..:yawn: why would Andrew want to go to D-town??

10. Pistons Lover

Pistons Lover First Round Draft Pick

I'm just glad that he signed. I don't really care what decisions that Joe makes cause most of the time it's for the sake of the team except for that rumor that he was going to trade Tay for S.Jax.

11. RipBillupsRJC

RipBillupsRJC Second Round Draft Pick

Relatively cheap energy guy.

12. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Let's put it this way. Who would you rather spend $5 million on, J-Max or Nazr?

13. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

5 large on JMax is definitely better than 4 big ones for...Kwame.

14. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

This surprised me. JD marked a Rubicon line out and noted to his agent: hold back or cross to the unknown. A very wise decision by his agent, since JMax has an excellent reputation outside of Detroit and his marketable value would be slightly elevated beyond his present worth.

The greener grass might hold more money, but JD usually tills a quality field.

Good call by his agent.

15. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

...No White Castles in SoCal.

16. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Dude picked up $5M just keeping his mouth shut. JD was probably happy he went along with Amir stepping in front of him.
    Maybe telling him he wasn't ready to start was a way of low balling him.

17. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

:burgereater::good:

18. Smoooth

Smoooth First Round Draft Pick

we signed him!