Jason Maxiell on Off the Court

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by roscoe36, Dec 17, 2006.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

JMax will be on "Off the Court", WDFN's Monday night radio show. This week, they'll be on the road at the Hamlin Pub in Clarkston from 8:00 pm to 9:00 pm.

I got the green light to call in with a question, so if you have a good one for Jason, please post it. I will pick one to ask tomorrow afternoon.

Thanks!
  2. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

Ask him; Since he has played extended minutes with success the last couple of games, what part of his game does he feel he needs to improve?
  3. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Ask him where he got the Brahma nickname, maybe he'll say here!

Or ask him if he ever wears his pf.com shirt.
  4. roscoe36

That's tempting but I don't want to take advantage of the situation.

[​IMG]
  5. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Ok let's see if he has the balls to answer this one...
    How are you practicing against Amir and Sheed?
    Also ... is he aware of the free the Brahma campaingn of PF.com?
  6. lapeapod

lapeapod First Round Draft Pick

Ask Jason if he has any nicknames for his dunks. I bet some of his fellow Pistons have pet nicknames for his dunks.
  7. easybuckets

easybuckets First Round Draft Pick

Just tell him how much we like him, and have him get some smile lessons from Sheed.
  8. roscoe36

Thanks folks. Looks like WDFN streaming is all mucked up again with two shows playing at once, so I will try to record on tape and offer some notes tomorrow evening.
  9. roscoe36

I'll recap this in more detail as mentioned above.

I asked how Max was making out in practice against Amir and Sheed.

Max said that Sheed hangs out on the perimeter a lot in practice working on his 3 ball, but Amir is getting a lot more physical down low and helping him out with his length.

I also asked if he still talks to his former Coach Bob Huggins. He said he talks to him almost every weekend. Huggins and Maxiell were very close in college.

And Matt was great, plugging pistonsforum.com on the air.
  10. roscoe36

You might be able to call in still, 248-848-1130

They are heading into the bottom of the hour break, but give them a call if you want to talk to the brahma.
  11. linwood

linwood All-Star

Nice job with the plug!

Here's the Seattle take on Max, Mac, Maxwell... whatever his name is.

Unknown foe, familiar defeat for Sonics
  12. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

If we have hidden Maxiell so much that the Sonics didn't even know who he is, then I guess it is possible that hiding Amir Johnson until we sign him to a longer contract could possibly work.

I just can't believe that these teams don't take closer looks at each other. It would be $500K well spent to get better scouts. Maxiell had a great game the night before and we had an injured big. They should have known his name.
  13. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

Yea, I don't buy it. They had to look at the box score from the night before, or maybe the post-game quotes where the Nets coach called Max something like "a big factor". I think they were just trying to save some face a bit. They got manhandled by a sophmore.
  14. roscoe36

Better late than never, here is my synopsis of the interview questions...

Disclaimer: JMax is not a big talker, he did warm up as the show went on. It made it difficult for me to ask all of the questions I prepared to call in with. It would have gone better if I had called later. Lesson learned.

He said that he and Dale just stepped up the other night against Seattle. It wasn't anything special.

Jason said that he loves the idea of he and Dale teaming up to form The Goon Squad. He's all for the Pistons printing up "Goon Squad" T-Shirts. In my opinion, Goon Squad is a terrible name and sounds thuggish in the new NBA. I like the message, but surely we can do better than something from a guy who calls himself "Hollywood" (Rip Hamilton). Sheed should name them, but only after they have more than 2 great games. :) Said that he and Dale are trying to out-physical opponents.

Says Dale is a great person off the court and goes hard every day. Brahma claimed to remember every play Dale Davis had "back in the day". I think he was being kind to D Squared. Dale wasn't exactly a superstar.

Said that the Pistons identity was coming back with the Goon Squad, making the game physical.

He talked a good game about wanting to keep playing a lot of minutes but realizing that he is on a veteran team and has to wait his turn and had to continue learning.

Said that the difference between his rookie year and this season, he knew that coming in he would have a chance to play with Ben gone and he would have to work hard when he got opportunities.

JMax talks to Ben Wallace now and then, they talk about rebounding. Said that Ben did his business in Detroit and now he has moved on to "take care of his family".

When asked who the toughest covers were, he responded with only one guy. Dwight Howard. This shouldn't be surprising because Max hasn't played very much! He did say that Chris Wilcox (Sonics) was a block scorer and shot blocker, but when he tried to post up the Brahma "it wasn't happening, I wouldn't let it happen at all".

Feels like his quickness and athleticism as well as his jumping ability gives him the ability to compete against taller opponents.

One caller asked him about if he was going to look into expanding beyond his soft touch and power repretoire and develop some of the moves that smaller big men have used including pump fakes, guys like Barkley etc. Says he is looking at tape of Charles and Malik Rose. Wants to work on his left hand in the offseason.

Says that in this league he won't get the ball just by posting up in the block, that he was taught at Cincinnati to go and get the ball.

He's been boycotting the University of Cincinnati since they fired his coach and mentor Bob Huggins. He likes the new coach so he may soften his stance. Feels that Huggins will be great at Kansas State.

Says that Nazr really wants to get out and play, he's into hitting the weights.

Says the Pistons take in everyone like a brother (new players). The Pistons locker room is like family, very close.

Says the Pistons will to play and energy is why they are 12-3 in there last 15 games.

When asked about his game winning shot against Seattle, he said "I expected Mr. Big Shot to step up, but my man helped out to him, he passed it to me and I happened to knock it down. I was shocked myself."

Says he never tries to tell Chauncey where or when to give him the ball. That Billups knows who can make shots from where and distributes based on that.