Jennings and Smith, déjà vu?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by KGREG, Nov 23, 2013.

1. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

I am starting to believe that the acquisitions of Jennings and Smith is eerily similar to Gordon and Villanueva.

Gordon was brought in when we already had a starter at that position- Hamilton, but Joe thought Gordon could also play some PG and as a result all would be well- he couldn't. Smith is a PF, we already have one in Monroe, but once again Joe believed a guy could do something other than play his natural position, thought he could play some SF.....he can't. Just like Gordon couldn't play PG.

Milw had CV coming off his rookie contract, they didn't want him because Joe's former partner in crime knew he was a no defense playing gunner whose stats were misleading and never actually produced wins. This year Milw has a guy coming off his rookie contract that Hammond didn't want because he's a no defense playing gunner whose stats were misleading and never actually produced wins- Brandon Jennings.

And we signed both guys to almost the same contracts in terms of their per year salaries that we signed the other 2 bums to! Same stuff different year!
    basketbills likes this.
  2. McQuack

McQuack Bench Warmer

After this slow start, I'm starting to think Monroe will be traded and Smith will be moved to the PF slot. I don't want Monroe to be traded, but I think it would be the best for this team after the Smith signing.
  3. del

del Bench Warmer Forum Donor

I'll give you the BJ comparisons at the moment (not giving up on him yet), but after seeing some of the work he does, like that stat sheet stuffer he put up recently, I'd still take Smith any day of the week.

Yes, him at SF is not great, but for the most part he is taking the goods shots when he has them and think if he eliminates the silly ones, he is just fine. However, I agree his minutes at SF should be limited and Mo needs to get the rotation right so we have him at PF more.

Well see how the season shakes out, but I'd be trading Monroe quickly if it's not working. Would love to somehow get a lottery pick back and then just use that salary room we will save and the rest we already have coming to move on a great starting SF and SG (if KCP does not get his shot). Wish we could have somehow got Igoudala as well this year, because what is the other options there for next year? I think just Melo. I'm not ready to take that blue pill yet.
  4. raxrets

raxrets Starter

That's the worst time for trading Monroe - due to expiring /RFA/ contract nobody wants to give something back. Sign and trade is an option but not before next summer and unlikely anyway - there simply is not SF at the equal value - available ...workhorses ala Tony Allen are not at Monroe level and Carmello Anthony types are too expensive. Monroe 's salary is not worth of mentioning right now and nobody givest to you you TOP 5 pick for him...

Start of the season is honestly worse than expected but very far from crysis or "demanding trades" scenario.
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2013
    linwood likes this.
  5. Nemo

Nemo Hall of Fame Forum Donor

I'm getting the feeling that the problem this season so far is the guy in the tie.........And we know Gores don't wear ties. :)
    linwood, kpaav and Mark V like this.
  6. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

You do realize Dumars doesn't wear ties?
  7. hitafreethrow

hitafreethrow Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Popcorn ties, popcorn ties. Strung together for ease of consumption.
  8. Mark V

Mark V Bench Warmer

After watching last night's game, I thought the same thing as well.... Although, when I woke up this morning I came to my senses and realized that Jennings/J Smoove are way too talented to be CV/Gordon. Something is just not clicking right now, but they do have the talent to turn it around.

Also, If I had to choose, I would rather trade J. Smoove than Monroe because Monroe is younger and he's easily been our most consistent player from the start.
    The Panda and linwood like this.
  9. hitafreethrow

hitafreethrow Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Man... I got back and fourth with that same thought process on Monroe and Smith. They just play different styles. Not sure which I like more. If Smith stuck to the block and played with his back to the basket more, I'd say Smith...if Monroe could hit the backboard with a 15 footer, I'd say Monroe. It's a wash on defense, although Smith has some shot block ability and Monroe cant even touch the rim.
  10. McQuack

McQuack Bench Warmer

Jennings did have 14 assists, and we would've won this game if he'd hit 2-3 more shots (he was 4/16)
  11. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

Arguments for/against trading players:

Smith: He's a marquee player that will probably return some value, but the Pistons signed him for more than anyone else did, which indicates that his contract will have a negative/rattlesnake effect on his trade value. I think you have to wait at least a year on this one, but if someone came knocking with a bad contract and a high first (not likely), I wouldn't rule it out.

Jennings: Not shooting well, but his numbers look pretty good, as he's averaging 10 apg and a 3/1 A/TO ratio over his last 5. His contract is pretty reasonable for that type of production, especially given that he's adapting to a new role. His defense is not actually the liability I thought it would be; he puts more effort into it than I thought he would. I don't think I'd trade him.

Monroe: I think his classic numbers look a lot better than what he's actually giving his team, and I think you could get more in trade than you would get for his actual team value long-term. He reminds me a lot of David Lee, who's a very good offensive player but a terrible defender. I think there would ba lot of teams out there that would be willing to part with a probable lottery pick for him, and if you could get a lottery pick and a decent SF, I think you have to jump on it. The problem is that about half of the teams in the league have already traded away their pick from the 2014 draft, so that really eats into trade possibilities.
    BillLaimbeer likes this.
  12. McQuack

McQuack Bench Warmer

I agree with you on this. I suggested a trade involving Monroe and Wilson Chandler + Kenneth Faried in an other thread.

Denver already have plenty of young wings, like Gallinari, who's soon back from his injury, and players like Foye, Fournier, Hamilton aswell. As for Faried, they have been exploring trade options, because a frontcourt of McGee/Faried won't cut it in the playoffs. They have been missing a real lowpost presence a lot the last couple of seasons. Not to mention, their FA signing JJ Hickson brings the same things to the table as Faried - hustle and rebounding. I believe Faried would look really good as a 6th man.
  13. Nemo

Nemo Hall of Fame Forum Donor

yea...I knew that...
  14. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Well, Dumars still has work to go before this group of characters is ready to be a playoff team, irregardless of who is wearing a necktie.
  15. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I think Faried is looking for big money which is why Denver is shopping him. The 6th man thing may not be in the cards.

Sent from the new and improved Tapatalk 2.
  16. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

I'm still high on the fact that Brandon Knight isn't our starting pointguard.
    Walter likes this.
  17. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

18. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

19. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

I would hate to see how much he shoots when he's actually confident in his shot.
  20. Mark V

Mark V Bench Warmer

I really don't think the front court is the problem though. It's our backcourt that isn't producing. If they could just knock down a few more of those perimeter shots then we win most of the games we've lost. I have faith in KCP though, but it's too early to expect too much from him.