Jennings and Smith, déjà vu?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by KGREG, Nov 23, 2013.

1. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

I will give you that their are some similarities, but there are a lot of differences. Jennings had 14 assists last game. So we know he really can play the point. Now, he missed the preseason, so we can't expect him to be at his very best quite yet. And then you got a coach that took several games before he started our obvious starting five - but then nixed it. So instead of letting Jennings learn his role with a particular unit, you got turmoil in the rotations, and less chance Jennings will gel with the team all that soon. (But note his dropoffs and lobs to Drummond are increasing, there is hope yet.)

Smith may not be the ideal small forward, but he has had decided impacts on games defensively to this point. Not ever could you say that for CV. Evidence - look at how bad he had Melo struggling a few games back. Can you imagine CV ever shutting down anybody in the league at all?
  2. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

Jennings has seriously improved his passing this year, something nobody thought could happen. Give him a little bit more time
  3. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

besides, if you look at how bad that other guy we sent to Milwaukee is playing, I'm even more fine with Jennings.
    S.J. and The Panda like this.
  4. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

THAT is my sole constellation.
  5. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Smith & Jennings both have contracts that can actually be traded. Joe didn't overpay for these two guys.
    As bad as they've both played, these two still fall into the assets column rather than the liabilities column.

I totally agree with you that Jennings, thus far, is a major disappointment.
    Jennings tries to play pick-up ball in actual NBA games.
    He's VERY talented.
    Maurice needs to coach him better.
    del likes this.
  6. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

Here's mine.........

[​IMG]
    coynejeremy likes this.
  7. del

del Bench Warmer Forum Donor

While this was written by Silvertongue, I was nevertheless happy to read it.

Continuing Education | THE OFFICIAL SITE OF THE DETROIT PISTONS

Three things specifically made me happy:
    BJ said he was never a "video tape guy" but he is now sitting down nearly every day AND is noticing he is doing things wrong
    And
    Mo actually watches video tape!

Whether this translates to any tangible change will actually take longer than most of us would like to wait though
  8. Nemo

I can watch Gilligan's Island...but I'll never be able to...

1. Make a lie detector.
    2. Make a pool table
    3. A Hot Air balloon
    4. A washing machine
    5. Shark repellant
    6. A cure for double vision
    7. A Geiger counter
    8. A battery charger
    9. Make nitroglycerine
    10. Jet pack fuel

Just don't think watching more film is the answer.
    BallDon'tLie likes this.
  9. del

Haha, I get your point Nemo - but Gilligans Island does not provide you with all the necessary information you need to build those things.

If Mo was as good a PG as the announcers (ours and others) make him out to be, BJ sitting down to review his errors with such a PG can only be a good thing. The answer? No. But help? Yes.

Would be good if someone sat down with BJ the same way on his shooting stroke also, like that article a month or so back described.
    Nemo likes this.
  10. Nemo

I believe that Mo Cheeks was an Excellent PG in his time.
    It's just that some people cannot translate their experiences into teachable moments.

I'm reminded of how good JD was at his craft, but yet the message isn't making it down to the floor in a positive way.

Coach does deserve time to make it work though...
    JD however, is running out of time....and that may cost both men....
  11. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

I learned how to make buerre blanc off you tube. In a more serious sense, at work we try to implement Demming's Plan Do Check Act methodology. Video tape is a tool that allows you to check yourself. Self assessment is key to self improvement. But its only one step. Over doing it even with the best misses the other 3 steps.
    We're outsiders so we don't know what is going on in practice or in the huddles...unless Mo is mic'ed and then its pretty sad. But the point is does Mo have a plan? Does coaching and practice focus on implementing behavioral changes? Does Mo just tell BJ "that could have been handled better" then go out and run things business as usual?

We ran a lot of high pick and roll with him and josh smith. Now there is a mix of posting Monroe on the elbow and curling around screens and moving side to side. So maybe there is something going on. The dude has talent but has over relied on it for too long. His D is terrible. He's weak. He only now is learning to hone his craft instead of being a savant. Not the guy for immediate turnaround for your team. But he sure ain't Brandon Knight. And I liked Knight a lot.
    linwood and Nemo like this.
  12. Nemo

Aaaaahhhh...excellent to think about scallops with a fine buerre blanc. Don't see anything like that in Montana...a beef state.

Aaaaahhhh...Implementing behavioral change...still just a dream I think.

Thanks for the nice post.
  13. Slippy

Agree. With all the hoopla in the summer, we kinda expected more but he's showing signs of change. His assist numbers are up 40%. He has been playing differently. Change takes time. He can maybe improve his shot but he can definitely improve his shot selection. He shots 5 3's a game. The other problem is he can't finish.
    He needs core strength. And to use his right hand. WTF
  14. Slippy

bordelaise sauce. mmmmm. the ingredient list states veal stock. And that's all I have to say about Josh Smith
    linwood and Nemo like this.
  15. Nemo

Try a bordelaise sauce with mushrooms...it's the only thing that should be added to steak.
    Just add only half the recommended cornstarch...just heat longer to reduction.

Josh Smith is mostly in the dark...Kinda like mushrooms.
    The Panda likes this.
  16. del

I remember hearing in the Miami game the commentators talking about how he has gotten better. Maybe we can't see it as easily as we watch more regularly. Or maybe they just missed the mark completely, because they did say that he was better going to the hoop with his right when all he used to do was lay up going left and pull up going right.

I have yet to see him do a layup with his right hand. Amazing to think that he won't/can't use his off hand in this age of professional sports.
  17. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Cant wait for his core strength and the development of his off hand.
  18. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Whoa! They are watching tape frame by frame! Could this be the beginning of a new era? The dawning of consciousness in the coach's brain which will ultimately result in Singler and Bynum being thrown out of the league?
    linwood and basketbills like this.
  19. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

No, Cheecks probably just watches Singler's one basket per game over and over and over while Jennings sleeps.
  20. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

It's funny, because I don't actually care whether Jennings shoots a high percentage. If he is going to shoot 40% that's fine by me, as long as he only shoots from 3 point range, or trying to finish at the hoop. All these ugly mid range shots are killing me, because he converts them at a low rate and doesn't draw fouls. To the rack baby!

Josh Smith on the other hand....