Jerry Sloan: Genius or Idiot?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by BillLaimbeer, Sep 4, 2006.

?

Jerry Sloan is a _____.

1. Genius

54.5%
  2. Idiot

45.5%
  1. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Jerry Sloan is a(n) _____.

a) Genius. He had great regular season success and made it to the playoffs nearly every year.

b) Idiot. He had Hall-of-Famers on his squad, but couldn't get it done it the playoffs.
  2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I love this thread. And a poll too!

I'm not a big Jerry fan because he was a Bull...

[​IMG]
  3. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

[SIGN]Neither?[/SIGN]

There were a lot of all-star pairs that never got it gone while MJ was chiseling his name in basketball history.
  4. pimpmasterodman

pimpmasterodman Second Round Draft Pick

ya this guy has his ups and down season he been the coach of the jazz tell late 80s and still with today this guy need a new team he lost every thing karl malone john stackton that took them to the finals 2 times
  5. roscoe36

I was going to add an option for "BillLaimbeer has pretty hair" to get this poll moving but decided against it.
  6. lurker

lurker First Round Draft Pick

But how many rivals had two hall of famers in their prime who were known for their great chemistry?
  7. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

He drafted two Fighting Illinii the last two years in a row. Point guard Deron Williams last year and combo guard Dee Brown this year. He's A-OK in my book just for that. GO ILLINI!
  8. linwood

linwood All-Star

:eek:

Where I'm from, that's heresy!
  9. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

MJ and Pippen. What more do you need.
  10. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

Now it says you are from Detroit here. Indiana is the University of Illinois big rival in the Big 10. If you are from Michigan, shouldn't you be worried about Ohio State? GO ILLINI!

Is this why you voted to hang me in MurderPf.com1, Linwood? I've posted numerous PRO ILLINI comments, especially in the draft thread.
  11. linwood

linwood All-Star

I am actually from Kentucky, home of the Wildcats. However, I spent the last 14 years in Detroit, and I have a fondness for the Detroit sports teams. I am a Spartan basketball fan, so I am not a big fan of the UM basketball team, or anyone else that they have to play. My allegiance switches to the Wildcats should they meet in the tourney, but this hasn't happend since (I think) 1999.
  12. linwood

linwood All-Star

Back to the poll. Jerry Sloan is an idiot. He has always had good teams with good showings, but never average teams with great showings, or good teams with incredible success. Although this might not make him an idiot, it certainly doesn't make him a genius.
  13. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

Linwood, you know you are my brother but....are you kidding me? How about the job he did the season after losing Malone and Stockton to retirement/free agency. His team was predicted to finish with the worst record in NBA history, but instead they ended up barely missing the playoffs in the most competitive Western Conference in the past 10-15 years. Also look at the talent that has gone through Utah's system and overachieved. Players go to Utah, play well under Sloan's system, get a contract elsewhere and then proceed to fall out of the league. (Shandon Anderson ring a bell?) He seemingly has the same effect the Zen master has on players. Jerry Sloan is one of the most respected, hard nosed, basketball minds in the game. He is the best coach never to win Coach of the year. Genius by a mile!
  14. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Idiot is too strong and in the wrong direction for me, but no way I could opt for genius. No doubt a smart and successful basketball guy - though with any another franchise (and the modern revolving coach door), he would have been gone years ago.

Thing I can't stand is his unwillingness to control his emotions. I don't buy the notion that coaches (in any sport) get a free pass to act like a two year old. It isn't passion, it's pathological. In any other profession he would have been fired over and over, would probably have a criminal record, and no doubt be in court ordered anger management classes.
  15. MotownPride

Ever heard players complain about him though...outside of perhaps Carlos Arroyo?
  16. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Come to think of it, I don't think I've heard more than with, say, Larry Brown. I don't really know much one way or the other how he is with the players. Maybe everything he does in game is in control and calculated to give his team an advantage. It's just when his face turns red and his eyes and the veins in his neck pop out that I wonder about him. I'm just not sure it's the way a grown man should act.
  17. MotownPride

I have a friend of mine who is from Utah and is a huge Jazz fan. Let me tell you, the entire city loves that guy: fans, players, Mormons, owner. I can tell you a million stories about how players are motivated under this guy and respect his abilities. No one really speaks ill of this dude and its for a reason. He is no nonsense and he knows basketball.
  18. BillLaimbeer

Are you trying to say a guy could lose in the playoffs every year and not be an idiot?
  19. roscoe36

I hear that Michael Curry is pretty smart. :loser:
  20. BillLaimbeer

He was no Darvin Ham or Mo Evans, but he had some great offensive skillz.