Joe D. Mandates Piston Culture Change

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by buddahfan, Jul 11, 2007.

1. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

Yes, I can hear everyone now. "When I see it I will believe it". I can't disagree, but am very hopeful.

Saunders looks to Pistons' future

:hoops:
  2. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

When I see it I will believe it.
  3. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

When I believe it, I will see it!
  4. buddahfan

When I see it, I will read about it on this forum!!!

5. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I'm not sure if you really need to "threaten" the starters. Just make it a precedent that you are going to mix it up sometimes. Ginobili, Nocioni, and other good players on other teams don't have a problem coming off the bench if their coach thinks it is a good idea. And look how well it worked for Cleveland when they were forced to play Gibson with their starters.

The starting lineup needs an energy injection sometimes and the bench will need some veteran leadership. I think Flip should go through unpatterned phases where he mixes it up and lets players get comfortable with eachother's games. CB and Amir. JMax and Sheed. etc. After a while, the team could be really cohesive and there wouldn't be that "best starting five in the NBA" mentality.

This year will really test whether or not Flip is creative enough and can demand enough respect from his personel to be considered a good NBA coach. He needs to make this team better than it is by thinking outside of his box.
  6. buddahfan

I think his NBA coaching record with the T-Wolves and Pistons has already proved that he is a good NBA coach.

Top level coach - No not yet
    Championship coach - No not yet
    Good coach - Most definitely

7. Nemo

Nemo The Great Predictor Forum Donor

The culture was here when Flip arrived. Joe Dumars is a smart man for keeping his good coach and devising a new mentality for the team. I've figured the problem with this team was it's make up. I'd just hoped they would trade away some starters (Billups) to create a new atmosphere of effort. Stating that the rookies and young players is the type of youth movement that I've been hoping for. Time to start building the Flip Bandwagon. He'll prove his worth this season, if Joe really makes this happen.
  8. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Yeah right, Flip - we'll see. I am hopeful but anything that comes out of Flip's mouth goes right out the other ear for me until I see him actually doing something different.
  9. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

nope not a threaten a promise.... whoever is playing the best in that game will be playing in the 4th quarter. thats all i ask. if max sucks up in the first half no i don't want him playing in crunch time in the 4th quarter, but if he outplays somebody in the 1st half lets see what he has in the 4th. at the same time just because one of the rooks doesn't have it in the 1st half of a game doesn't mean that warrents 5 games of bench time. Just means there not playing in the final mins of that one game.
  10. max

max All-Star

Does this culture change apply to the coach? Just so happends Dumars brought in a bring young assistant in Michael Curry.

Saunders is soon going to get to the point where he will be cheap to buyout.
  11. Nemo

If it goes according to plan.............Flip Saunders applies the culture change to the players, through his coaching expertise.........with Joe Ds blessing. Flip is still the choice of Joe D. Michael Curry will help with the installation of this new culture.
  12. max

max All-Star

I have been tempted to put a "Curry for Head coach 2007" in my sig. Thats how excited I am about him joining the staff.

Curry has to be the #1 option right now instead of Flip, wouldn't you think?

They are going to start the season with Flip but I would like to hope that Curry was brought in for more of a reason than being an assistant.
  13. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    What about Porter? Would he be a bad choice if Flip falters?
  14. Nemo

Gonna Respectfully disagree max..........Still think that Flip is the right coach for the Pistons. I think that's why Joe kept him.................
  15. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I like Curry and think he will be a great addition to the Pistons staff, but answer this question for me:

Exactly how many games has Curry coached, head or assistant, at any level of basketball?
  16. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

He wasn't "runnin' things" when Cola was here?

That would give him a good 2 or 3 seasons at least. :pound:
  17. buddahfan

Generally makes sense. But I have seen C-Bill play not very well for 3 quarters and then light it up in the 4th to lead the way to a victory. Hot Rod is the same type of player. When it comes crunch time he wants the rock in his hands. These are the type of guys I want on the floor in the 4th quarter.

How do they do in crunch time?

Do they scrub their knees going for the lose ball?
    Do they give the hard foul or take a charge when the opponent drives the lane with the game on the line?
    Do they go after the lose ball like it is the last ball in the arena?
    Do they stay calm under pressure?

Toughness, confidence, aggression and self control.

The guys that show those traits in crunch time are the guys that I want on the floor the last 6 minutes of the game, if the game is in doubt.

18. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

We don't fight for loose balls or deliver hard fouls. We don't take a lot of charges.
  19. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

There is a word for that ....mediocre: of only ordinary or moderate quality; barely adequate.
  20. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

agree totally, but right now you know which 5 players are going to be on the floor the last 5 mins whether there 10/10 from the field or 0/10 from the field. doesn't matter if a bench player matches up better that tay has played 45 mins already and has nothing left. I am just tired of the rotation being almost as predicable as lee lineups that he has posted for years.