Joe D. On Pistons fans and Detroit fans, being jaded

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by buddahfan, Feb 9, 2008.

1. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

It seems to me that he may be rationalizing.

JOE DUMARS: Pistons president on possible moves at trade deadline, jaded fans

:hoops:
  2. Nemo

Nemo Hall of Fame Forum Donor

Sounds like Joe likes Flip Saunders........and Amir Johnson.
  3. buddahfan

Parker holds back no punches here. Will it be safe for him to go to a Pistons game? All it takes is one nut case. I give him credit. The man has got guts.

Whether he is correct or not is a matter of opinion.

Pistons need love from Detroit's fans

4. raxrets

raxrets Starter

Sounds that he had to think very deeply for finding a reason why he has to like pistons fans.

I came into that conclusion largely thanks to my homemade "Enigma" - it helps to find various messages witch are coded into team representative's words.

:cold:
  5. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

Sounds like he is delusional. I see the same problems that we had last year in this team. Little interior defense, most nights getting killed on the glass, no legit out side shooter that can create space on the floor and questionable coaching. The only improvement has been allowing the bench to play a little more. We have a nice regular season team that will go deep in the playoffs. I question still whether this team is hungry enough though to make it to the NBA Finals.

What is wrong with be honest and not being a total slappy drinking the kool aid?
  6. raxrets

raxrets Starter

Another idiot who lives in realGM...
  7. max

max All-Star

I agree that we should back them more and that they have earned a lot of respect. However the Pistons have a couple of thing going against them here.

1) They were upset in the ECF by inferior opponents for 2 straight years which has many believing that the core is no longer capable of bringing home the trophy.

2) The Switch. People fell in the love with the going to work teams that left their left lung on the court every night. Watching a team layup and take it easy because they are bored with the competition is very boring to the fans and makes one realize that their money is better spent elsewhere. I know athletes are not going to have it everynight, what they sometimes do is beyond that. Not executing, standing around, looking disinterested in the game. Imagine if someone picked a game like that for their 1st game to see. And where is the killer instinct? Just not their as much as most would like.

It has been getting better this year and at least we have an energetic young bench to watch now. So props for that.

3) Honesty. That 207 conesequtive sellout streak is a total sham and everyone knows it. It only makes the Palace management look dishonest. Report the true sales.
    Also I know every team tries to sell their players, however Dumars crew seems to go a bit over the top sometimes. Amir should have been drafted at #3. Getting GM's calling on how they missed Stucky thus implying that he was the same as a top 5 pick or something, saying all was well with Darko right up to the trade. Yes you have to sell your players, however don't treat us like we are a bunch of idiots.

With that said. Yes as fans we should appreciate their success more and it sometimes shocks me how some are complaining ( even after wins ) just because one of their pet projects did not play x-amt of mins. But its not all on the fans.
  8. raxrets

raxrets Starter

lakers in his kobe-shaq era was coasting too during a season but they won usually title and all was forgiven. But that honesty thing is difficult: GM-s words go through many filters, quotes are taken out of context, etc. It's not always what you're saying, it is what you CAN say. You can't just say that darko is a bust. You still hope that he is able to pick himself up. GM-s hands are probably tied in more ways than fans can imagine.
  9. max

max All-Star

Yes but look how to Lakers ended up. In 04 we were making fun of that kind of attitude. Why couldn't they have picked at team like the 90's Bulls to emulate? Why did they have to pick the Lakers.

Its really not as bad as it used to be. This year is a lot better.

With Dumars - Never seems to admit when he makes a mistake.
  10. raxrets

raxrets Starter

You're maybe too harsh: I do not think that it is nice to rip axed coaches or traded players. And GM may be unsatisfied with coach but do not expect critisize him publicly. And blaming GM-s for various trades or draft choices is too cheap anyway-in hindsight everyone is extremly wise. Remeber what Kerr said after Shaq trade - his life depends on whether Shaq justifies himself or not. You can only hope...nobody knows it. Somebody brought up McHale's critics towards Flip and comments were mostly like McHale is a whiny %%%%%.
  11. Mr. Pistons

Mr. Pistons Second Round Draft Pick

I'm not a Rob Parker fan, but I tend to agree with him on this.

PistonsNationBlog.com » Blog Archive » He's right you know

Now, I'm not trying to be a holier than thou Pistons fan but I do think that there's a lot of fans that have been spoiled by this run. Of course we should expect a title every year but that's a tad unrealistic. It seems like every time we don't win it's time to blow up the team.

I think it'll be a case of the Pistons having to experience some lean years for some fans to really appreciate this group.
  12. max

max All-Star

Its not about ripping on former Pistons, and there has been a lot of ripping going on from the Dumars camp over the years so its not about that.

Overall we do have a great team to follow. I was trying to present the other side of the argument as to why some fans are not as interested as they would like given the context in which this thread was created.
  13. pistonsloyalist

pistonsloyalist First Round Draft Pick

I don't think our fans (including the forum posters here) are jaded. I think the feeling is that this team played to 100% of its potential in the playoff runs in '04 and '05, and has underachieved in the two playoff runs since, largely because of mediocre coaching. The core players are not getting any younger, and so this has lead to some justifiable fan frustration. The fan criticism about regular season games (including rotations, substitutions and offensive sets), even in the face of a very good won-loss record, is tied into this feeling. I think that much of the day-to-day criticism of the team is constructive, and is thinking ahead to the playoffs and how this team can excel in the playoffs. One has to plan for playoff competition in the regular season, and the '05-'06 season is proof that maximizing wins during the regular season is not the way to prepare for a successful playoff run, and, indeed, that one's won-loss record in the regular season is not a very good predictor of playoff success.
  14. Mr. Pistons

Mr. Pistons Second Round Draft Pick

There has been post season under achieving, no question. But I just think this team doesn't get enough credit for what they've been able to do.

There's fans in other cities that would kill for the opportunity to call a team like the Pistons their own.
  15. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

In sports it is a what have you done for me lately attitude. The players on the Pistons seem to live off of their press clippings from the past. They often site silly phrases like " If it aint rough it aint right" or they always site how they have been in this postion before or how they have had their backs against the wall and suceeded. That happened in the past. Every instance is different. You can't let teams back into games or a playoff series. You can't underestimate the hunger of a team. Great teams do not let up. They smack their opponents in the face and stomp out their spirit.
  16. raxrets

raxrets Starter

Personally I disagree w you. Players have responsibility too and those aren't rookies. You just can't force players to get "hungry". This is not a consentration camp, where bosse can force everything. In NBA from coaches perspective it is almost impossible to force something: players can always demand a trade as a result. Larry Brown mentioned repeatedly that nowadays players do not listen coach as they used to. Many of those young millionares become so full of themselves that they think that they know everything they need to know.

For me it still starts from from players: they inside of themselves must feel that hunger not that somebody(coach ) has to say it to them from outside. And when you do not feel it inside then orders from outside are useless.
  17. max

max All-Star

One could probably sum it all up in one word "Underachieving". Its not that people do not appreciate the wins and playoff success. Things like letting a team like the Bulls last year, Cavs in 06 back into a playoff series is the maddening thing of it all.

Seriously, in all honesty. How far would they have gotten if the conference was tougher as in the West? Would they have still been good enough to get to the Conf Finals if the 2nd round opponent was Phx, Dallas, or SanAntonio?

Well this year is different though. At least there seems to be something different about it so we will see. The switch games are becomming fewer and further in-between and the team is more committed to defense than any other group other than 03/04.
  18. raxrets

raxrets Starter

We hope here that starting5 is burning inside(i.e they want it) and not b/c they are forced to play well b/c bench is actually better than year or two before.
  19. pistonsloyalist

pistonsloyalist First Round Draft Pick

I would add to your list, "Getting beaten decisively in the 2006 ECF by a Miami team that featured two stars (one of whom was already in decline) and not much else, and that has utterly disintegrated since then."
  20. buddahfan

The Tigers are far more exciting than the Pistons even when you take AJ and Stuckey into account and this is coming from a guy who is a basketball fan first and baseball second.

This Tigers team will have maybe as many as half a dozen future hall of fame players.

It seems to me that anyone who can't pay attention to this Tigers team regardless of what month of the year it is, is not a serious baseball fan.