Joe D. On Pistons fans and Detroit fans, being jaded

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by buddahfan, Feb 9, 2008.

1. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Thanks for the sanity Max, Buddha and Parker.
  2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Strange piece. Scolding and chiding fans to stop being so demanding.

When Joe took over the Pistons, he promised a team that would work hard. We all know that we don't get 100% every night, particularly at home.

Has it occurred to anyone that the economy SUCKS and there are 3 other professional teams to follow?

I dunno.

Really strange.
  3. The Palace Artest

The Palace Artest First Round Draft Pick

And what's with the rhetoric? Who's "Piston hating"?

It's just that there are fans are fed up with these tired habits exhibited by the team time and time again. These consecutive 50 win seasons are nice, but I mean it's not unreasonable to think that they should be able to cash in more than once (and granted, they were one quarter away in 2005).

What we saw in Game 5 last year was a complete meltdown; a disgrace. And this guys expects fans not to be frustrated in "the ultimate starting five" losing to a one man army?

I love the Pistons, but I do not love some of their ways. These past two years watching Tigers baseball, I've watch a product that goes out on the field everyday and brings the right attitude day in and day out, and if not, we have a disciplinarian in the dugout that wont hesitate to whip them into shape; we don't see that with Flip--a puppet that operates only at Joe's absolute command.
  4. max

max All-Star

Thats a nice summary of this topic, except for the Flip part at the end.

Its not so much that we lost its how we lost the past 2 ECF's. I got the feeling that they could have played 10 more games and the Heat/Cavs would have kept on beating us.
  5. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

With that attitude it`s a good thing Parker is a sportswriter and not a coach or leader in any capacity.

That be happy with where you are song without winning championships is lame!
  6. Ozarkruffrider

Ozarkruffrider First Round Draft Pick

:pound:Parker wanting love for a team that is one of the 2 best teams in the east and pretty much the west as well. HEY BOB, HOW 'BOUT DEM LIONS!!
  7. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

You don't throw the baby out with the bath water.
  8. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

parker meant that wings and lions are beloved regardless of their failures but seems that pistons fills seats only in a good times.
  9. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

good times? seems more like if they lose a single quarter of any game the fans are upset right now.....

was bored tonight so went and read a few other piston forums (THANK "insert higher being of choice here" for this place). its nuts what folks expect on a day in and day out result. we could go 88-0 next year and folks wouldn't be happy.....

I think the statement Dumars made a few years ago has been followed thru to a T by him, his goal was to put the pistons in a postion to be in contention for the title every year and we are. We can say all we want about our bad play the last 2 years in the ECF's but we had a team that had the talent to get there and probably win. Thats why I think he's the best GM in the NBA today... he fields a winner today without making a deal with the devil to ruin next year.

Parker's column is right on alot of points, where getting alot like the Braves are in baseball... fans get used to winning and we forget how bad it could be.... however at the same time we should expect them to give a full effort every night and maybe that being lacking is why the fans arn't out in full force in support just now, Plus the economy of Mich sucks *$&#
  10. max

max All-Star

Wings hope to see sellouts again - Detroit Red Wings Hockey: News, Blogs, Photos, Audio, Schedule & Stats - MLive.com

11. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Good article by Rob Parker. I think he makes some good points about Detroit fans being spoiled by the Pistons success. Sure, we all want a championship every year, but so do lots of teams.
  12. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

As Piston fans we do have a good thing going...anybody can see that. However folding in the playoffs isn't going to win favor from the fans no matter how you cut it. That isn't Dumars' fault. He put a good team together although the coaching has been the weak point.
  13. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

big circle of passing the buck.
  14. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Coaching has been part of the problem. Some Piston starters have laid eggs in a few playoff games over the last 3 years. Everyone should be held accountable, not just the coaches.
  15. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

Joel Meyers the Lakers announcer was complaining again last night on the Lakers - Magic contest about Prince's alleged foul at the end of the Pistons -Lakers game that wasn't call.

So Stu Lantz his co-announcer said. "Let it go already".

I think Lantz has a good point. People need to let things go. Constant complaining about the past gets old fast.

Its time to get on with life as a Pistons fan.

:hoops:
  16. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

:p_welldone::cheerlie-GOAL::winner_first_h4h::rockon::thumb::p_welldone:
  17. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

Right, buddahfan.
    When journalist has asked typical questions from dumars like why-oh-why you drafted this guy then answer has been that he is not paid to live in the past, his work is to think of the future.
  18. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

If we don't learn from the past we make the same mistakes in the fiuture. It's foolish not to look at the past.
  19. Ozarkruffrider

Ozarkruffrider First Round Draft Pick

20. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

GM-s workesk is more playground than "real life" so this common wisdom won't help. I mean what kind of wisdom is like: do not draft future busts or hire only players who suits with team chemistry or hire coaches who can really coach? Please, do not take such fan-made wisdom seriously...