Joe D's Draft Record

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by buddahfan, Apr 3, 2007.

1. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

bball jay
    12-12-2006, 11:06 AM
    Cuz the pistons blew it. If darko is awesome detroit blew it. If darko sucks detroit blew it. Bottom line Darko was a bust for detroit. Overall, its incomplete but he has some serious growing to do cuz of the guys picked after him.
    i will agree detroit blew it though. so that makes the organization more of a bust than the player to me.

2. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Just thinking about the Darko situation and how Joakim Noah could have been the #1 pick last year based on his freshman year at Florida. Is there anyway that Noah would have escaped the "bust" tag as a top pick? It appears as though his game is not nearly as good as everyone thought it was.

So for his sake, he is probably better off getting drafted > 5th and avoiding a lot of unnessesary pressure.

Most of the criticism of Darko seems to be caused by the fact that he was a 2nd pick. He may be a bust for a 2nd pick, but he is surely not a bust overall. If he would have been picked 8th say, his reputation would not be so tarnished.

In that scenario, Darko would have gone to the Bucks and received a ton of PT while the iron was still hot. Then, Milwaukee wouldn't have been looking for a big man in the 2005 draft, and they could have grabbed Chris Paul. Alternate histories in the multiverse.

3. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

so basically you think we should have traded the # 2 pick?? because under that thought process nobody would have been a good pick. honestly i don't think joe thought darko wouldn't play any basketball his first 2.5 years as a piston.
    yes. we already won a championship with darko. if darko had been used correctly we would have won more. if anything if we had kept darko and he was on par with bosh and mello he would have saved us from the nazr signing and we could have traded ben instead of losing him for nothing.

yes. but we were champions and in the finals and ecf. i think of any team in the league we had the luxury of waiting for a guy to become great.

4. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I think this reasoning has been exposed as flawed. You can never have too many good players, all fighting for playing time. This idea of socking away a player for a rainy day was passive. Too passive.

5. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

It is still being implemented. Acker/Amir... Dale Davis.

6. bball jay

yeah. the problem is that guys don't fight for playing time. the starting 6 minutes were all but written in stone. no matter how well the reserve plays or how bad the starter plays the minutes stay the same. i don't agree with the stashing a player away method that the pistons used and still use. i just think that if anybody could wait for a guy to develop 4 years it was us.

7. Ozarkruffrider

Ozarkruffrider First Round Draft Pick

I believe the picks have been right on in the value that where they were taken. The few that have not worked out are about right in line with the average, maybe even above average for the numbers league wide.

On Darko, what has been the bane of JD's overseeing this team? Coaches not using the players right or developing them right. Carlisle too conservative. LB never giving the young guys a chance. Now it's Flip not utilizing the bench (young players) enough and burning out the starters. Just an interesting comparison here: This is the exact same argument that Millen has had with his coaches over the same amount of time. Difference is the quality of the veterans from free agency has made the Pistons winners. But have come up short when needed after the one championship due to burning out the starters.

Joe knows BBall

8. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

I think TaS is dead on. Don't be surprised if Amir is packaged for say...E Brand or like. As we stay VETERAN.

9. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

Keep that thought. What some might begin to realize is the cultural and organizational style on how this club operates.

10. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

--------------------------------------------------------------

11. bball jay

Wade, Mello, and the others immediately contributed significantly to their squads.

wade, mello and others were immediately given the oppurtunity to contribute. this wouldn't have been the case on the pistons especially under lb.
    Darko had as much to do with that championship as the guy in the stands hawking hot dogs. Why must we always go here?

because it's fact. if the organization wins a championship all the players get it. darvin ham is a champion. it's fact. it means that if nothing else darko wasn't a lockerroom cancer. or do you think the raptors drafted better because bosh is putting up 20 and 10 and just getting into the playoffs.

Still waiting...

he's 21. even if he didn't become great until 25 he would still have a lot of career left in him. he could have been contributing to championships in a reduced role for all of those years. tay is still on his way to becoming great yet he's a big contributor.

12. NTC

NTC First Round Draft Pick

We went on and won the championship that season, so I dont really see how we "blew it", that alone proves we didnt need to take Melo, Wade, Bosh etc.

Yeah, we probally should've taken one of them, but we didnt really need any of them at the time, thats what it comes down to basically.

13. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Think about it. Why Nazz when we could pimpin' Amir for 1/3 the price.
    Even if he is just a 3.

14. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

Yeah TaShawn I was thinking about that with Joakim Noah this year. Thinking about how good it is that he comes from a rich and cultured and educated family and may not have the compulsion to pursue the NBA dream as though it's the only path for him. Just the heat he took this year for not being as good as last year even after winning the championship last year is like an early warning system for the NBA experience of these top draft choices.

I don't know whether Darko would have been as good as those other guys were on a lousy team. I certainly think he would have gotten more playing time and experience and had the opportunity to learn as they all did. If he'd been thrust in a role of "savior of a franchise" who knows. It's unknowable as are all things Darko.:pound:

Bottom line Joe blew it for Darko by choosing him. Then Larry blew it more for Darko by being petulant about playing him or developing him. Then Darko blew it for Darko by sulking and acting like a teenager!!! That's what I think. And I'm glad to see he got out and is getting to play. That's all that matters is getting the chance which if he had stayed with us, more than likely he still would not be getting.

And yes I do think that if you have a top draft choice and you aren't planning on adjusting your lineup and don't have the time and energy for project talents you should sell draft picks to another squad for big moola. Phoenix sold some last year, although I'm not sure how high their picks were. You can't let this top talent sit on the bench. No one will allow it. The fans, the media. The hype of the league is just too much and the unrealistic expectations of the draft picks themselves is just a recipe for disaster.

The best picks should go to the worst teams period. Then they get to play, the bad teams get more fans coming to see their big hope, and the kids get to be hyped just like the league wants it. Do we really want to see Kevin Durant sitting on our bench for two years? No, I don't. I want to turn on the tv next year and see him playing 20-30 minutes a game for the Celtics or someone equally bad.

Chicago has done a pretty good job with Tyrus Thomas so far. But then I don't think he was a very high pick so the pressure wasn't there. Still, they seem to be developing him right along nicely. Wow. That was a long post. My imminent demise to Warthog in Fantasy League has got me up late gleaning gems from the free agent list. I might overhaul my whole team in a desperate bid to stay alive!

Nighty night all! :yawn::humble: :amen:

15. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum