Joe Dumars HOF 2006

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by roscoe36, Sep 7, 2006.

1. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Yeah, its kind of like using the combo excuse for calling in sick to work. "I'm sick.... and my cat just died... and my car got stolen"

2. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

When you're inducted, it is for your contributions to the sport of basketball. They treat everyone in the hall (players, coaches, etc.) as one big brotherhood. When you're in, you're in. When Joe was introduced yesterday, they talked about both his playing days and his success as an executive.

3. Hobbs

Hobbs First Round Draft Pick

That's not true. There are 3 people in as a coach and as a player and they had separate inductions.

4. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

That's not how it works--three guys are in the hall both as players and as coaches: Bill Sharman, Lenny Wilkens, and John Wooden. They were inducted separately in those different categories, in different years. So in theory, Joe could also make it in the "Contributor" category, although that seems doubtful to me. Looking at the list of Hall of Famers in that category, almost none of them were purely GMs. My guess is that the most likely double enshrinee in the categories of Player and Contributor is Jerry West, although he still hasn't been voted in as a Contributor.

5. BillLaimbeer

Thanks for the enlightenment. The way that Joe was introduced, it sounded like his exec accomplishments were part of his induction (not just as a player).

6. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

I think in all honesty his exec accomplishments added up with his player accomplishments got him voted in. As Dumars said, he was not a ME guy that asked for attention. He was always in Zeke's shadow for the most part during his career. Dumars was very underrated as a player in my opinion. Him putting together a winning team in the mold of that old Bad Boy team that focused on defense brought attention back to defense and team work and one guy not being bigger than the whole team. It also brought attention to how good Dumars was guarding the greats of his time like Jordan.

7. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

8. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

Dumars not HOF worthy?

MLive.com: Everything Michigan
    Bill Simmons :stirthepot: .

Firstly, its ass-backwards. Secondly, the meter doesn't account for finals MVP. I dunno MVP for a championship team: its a lock.

9. hack

hack First Round Draft Pick

Wow -- that's the first Simmons piece I've read in a long time without a reference to the WB Network or a 4-paragraph diversion to discuss TV or celebrities. Could he be headed back to his former greatness?

10. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

Hack,
    Imagine this: you get paid to string words together using refrigerator magnets and the i-ching. After you do your infinite monkey poo flinging, you turn it in to ESPN and they post it on the web. I think the editors quietly removed Charmed, Rose Mcgowan but he still managed to pick up pam anderson et. al.

11. lurker

lurker First Round Draft Pick

Bill Simmons is capable of some amusing writing at times, but as a basketball analyst he is just completely full of crap.

Why is he attacking Joe D? Simple: he worships the Celtics and hates the Pistons. The stuff he writes about Isiah on a regular basis is nothing short of character assassination. He refers to the ridiculously overrated Larry Bird as "Basketball Jesus" and thinks that what what Rodman and Isiah said after a tough playoff loss way back in 1987 is an atrocity of historic proportions. Just say no to Bill Simmons.

I'm done ranting now. :angrysoapbox:

12. BillLaimbeer

I'm a big Adrian Dantley fan, but the Hall of Fame should be more than just scoring a ton of points. These HOF meters don't measure a lot of the intangibles that lead to greatness and championships.

13. hack

hack First Round Draft Pick

Simmons' Roger Clemens Is The Antichrist column is one of the best sports pieces ever. He captures fandom well. That said, he could use an editor, like the other flinging monkeys that write for ESPN.