Joe Dumars on WDFN 1130 AM

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by roscoe36, Apr 3, 2006.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

http://www.wdfn.com

Joe Dumars is supposed to be on Stoney and Wojo sometime between 4:30 and 6:00.

Anyone interested in recording/reporting on it? I may not be able to catch the broadcast.
  2. roscoe36

I took notes, AGAIN.

Joe found out about HOF on Thursday while he was getting a haircut, didn't tell anyone all day until he went home and told his wife in the evening.

He said the emotional state he was in was reflective, the journey to get to being a member of the HOF.

Made it clear that his HOF selection was based on playing days, and not his executive career, however apparently one or more folks have gotten in twice as players AND executives (Jerry West?), so....

Joe said he's never needed top billing, just wanted to be a part of winning. Been talking with Barkley, mostly about the current NBA and not rehashing old times.

His greatest accomplishment outside of winning championships was getting the Finals MVP. Said that it was a big deal for his generation to be the guy who said, "I'm going to Disneyworld!"

Has no regrets about his playing days or retiring. Hasn't played even a game of 1 on 1 since he retired. Will shoot around with his son, but does most of the rebounding because his kid wants to shoot.

Was unable to stop the "teal era".

When asked about who would do his introduction (typically a current HOF member), he told Stoney and Wojo (jokingly) that they were being cold blooded for excluding LB. ;) Likely Zeke or Chuck Daly, he has to talk to them about it. (My vote is for Zeke).

On being a GM, said that it was very important to maintain perspective. Not being extreme, getting too high when the team is playing dominant, or getting too low when they hit a rough spot. A GM has to keep an even keel.

Said that the stretch of losses by the Pistons was no cause for concern. That it is very hard to play 82 games at a high level.

Also said that being the favorite is meaningless once the ball is tipped. Teams still have to play like they have something to prove, with a chip on their shoulder.

Knows the Pistons don't play the most aesthetically pleasing ball, and they are not NBA darlings, but they win, they are successful and top of the league. So they want to keep doing what they are doing.

--- more in a bit ---
  3. roscoe36

Continued (sorry, multi-tasking)

On Chauncey for MVP. Joe would love to see him get it. Thinks he deserves it. Joe is a huge Steve Nash fan, but if Nash can win the MVP playing for the league regular season winners last year, how can Chauncey not win the MVP this year?

On Sheed, the silver lining is that Roscoe will get rest, and some other guys will get minutes. Joe did not sound concerned about this.
    (and why should he? they just saved one game's pay! ;))

Joe likes his bench, feels it is very deep and offers multiple attributes from Lindsey's defense, to Delk's scoring, to Evans and Delfino's athleticism, to Cato and Dale's size.

On Darko: Joe knew he would play well in Orlando but has no regrets. It was not going to happen for Darko in Detroit. In Orlando he will get 25~30 minutes, with no pressure for best record, making the playoffs, All-Star selections. In Orlando he can get the minutes to "find his game", minutes that were not going to be available in Detroit. There was too much pressure here on him as a 1st pick, and for the organization to be successful now.

On Flip: Feels that Flip brings a very common sense approach, and brought what Joe felt the Pistons needed to win more games. Opening up the offense.

Called a UCLA win tonight, even though he is more familiar with Florida. Says he believes that defense wins championships.

That's it. Support the forum. That is why I do this. ;) :D
  4. BigDaddy

BigDaddy First Round Draft Pick

Thanks for the recap didn't catch it.Glad Joe got the HOF nod he deserves it for the way he played and carried himslef over his career.Got snubbed last year but....better than not at all.On Chauncey winning the MVP like I voted awhile ago he should if we take best record in the league someone has to be the "face" for this team.But I liked what he said after the game,there is a defensive player of the year,why not an offensive player of the year also?Then choose your MVP as the player who like Chauncey,Nash or Darko:heh: have elevated their teams.Does make some sense.
  5. iambill

iambill Second Round Draft Pick

Thanks for the recap.
  6. Robert Michael

Robert Michael First Round Draft Pick

Micro,

You Rock. I haven't been posting much because I am super busy right now at work, married, and trying to get my band off the ground. By the time I do all that and watch EVERY Piston game, it doesn't leave much time at all. I appreciate your dedication to the Pistons and all the effort you put in to this forum. I would not have time to listen to the interview, and now I don't need to, thanks to YOU.

Please e-mail me privately with an address to mail you. I have something to send to you as a token of my appreciation.

Best Regards,
    Robert Michael
  7. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Uh oh. I guess it doesn't. Hopefully Joe can reconfigure the Pistons before the playoffs.