Joe Dumar's Presser...The COntents and Verbatim Remarks

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by armygirl, Jun 3, 2008.

1. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

ArmyG I know you're just loving all this.[:>]
  2. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

This is what I am expecting with a Jarvis Hayes/Juan Dixon type cherry on top.........
  3. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    I am not expecting anything at this point, you can flip a coin with the same success rate. It is possible that he'll get an offer he can't refuse, and it is possible that he won't get anything worthwhile.
  4. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Score for Lee.:cheerlie-GOAL:

I think it was pretty obvious that Joe D was pushing Flip to play Amir, and Flip was trying to find excuses not to play him. All year it looked like a tug of war.
  5. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Joe D has steadfastly stood up for Sheed. I don't expect it to change now. Personally, i think thing trade Sheed this is way overblown although i do see where some people are coming from.

----

I am ecstatic he said this. I feel like all my Amir love/%%%%%ing did something.

-----

I like this quote too.

-----

I love Joe D. He really had me worried for a second there. He's not without faults/screwups, but at least the effort to correct mistakes albeit alot later than it should be is being made.
  6. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Remember when Amir went through that stretch where he wasn't getting PT. Then Joe and Flip had that meeting. Flip came out of it and said that he thought he should play Amir more and he ran it past Joe. He said Joe agreed with him. Then Amir resumed getting minutes afterwards.

What a charade.
  7. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

What about that time Amir scored 18 point in 18 min. [Bucks]
    Was that fools gold.
  8. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    But that's nothing comparing to Will's 3-pointer.
  9. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Why you say that TFD?
  10. Robert Michael

Robert Michael First Round Draft Pick

long time no post, but this warrants... I would love to hear Joe D say what I really think, "Flip ruined our freaking chances three straight years but the old coot Davidson wouldn't let him fire him until now. Good riddance. The next coach I hire will play the best players not just the oldest players, or I'll fire his butt too."

GO PISTONS
  11. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Joe also said at his press conference that the phone had not rang about trades because it was known that he would not touch his core.

Now Joe D is saying that now teams realize that anyone on the team is available at the right price, the phones will start ringing off the hook.
  12. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Long time no read Robert Micheal .....you still in LA?

Anyway good point. Listening to Joe you can tell he was trying to resrtain himself...just be glad you weren't driving in front of him as he exited the Palace parking lot last Friday night:sssh:
  13. max

max All-Star

I lost a little respect for Tay when he used the excuse on how tired he was prior to game 3 after playing in game 2 and the "long" flight home from Boston. Said it in his post game interview after game 6.
  14. Robert Michael

Robert Michael First Round Draft Pick

Hey, Dre. Am still here. In Koreatown these days, but looking to come back to the D, perhaps, soon.
  15. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

Thanks Army, great write up.
    Joe makes some good points, but the one thing he leaves out is any personal responsibilty, and a lot of these problems were caused by him:
    Flip had probably his best year of his Detroit career. He played the youth. The team was more uptempo. But Joe is the one who gave him Jarvis for Delfino as backup 3. And Joe is the one who never replaced Dale Davis. A backup 7fter could have come in handy against Perkins.

Joe's insistence that the team is "good enough" as is, has caused him to spend the past three years scouring the wavers, refusing to move any of the core, and dumping good role players for zip.

It's hard to not to be content and play hungry when you are a sacred cow.

JD vowed to make changes last year and he....traded Delfino and signed Jarvis and Theo off of waivers. Let's hope he hasn't become too content, and makes some real changes (not picking up scraps off of waivers) beyond the coach.
  16. daveg725

daveg725 First Round Draft Pick

We need Maggette. Period. The most underrated player in the league...can slash, dribble, and get to the line. If you don't see it--you're wild.

I'd look hard at Gilbert Arenas...if he can be had for a discount coming off injury. Elton Brand is another player who needs a very hard look...maybe can be at a discount coming off of injury.

Normally those would be red flags--but our training staff is top notch.
  17. bricalz

bricalz First Round Draft Pick

Thank you Joe, at least now I know he means business.

I'm not much for Magette or Arenas.

JRich and Okafor, hmm thinking about it.

I don't think that Tay should go, or Dyess; I'm thinking Sheed and Billups. Both have the greatest value and we can handle losing them.

Billups, well, we have Stuckey.
    Sheed, I'm hoping we can replace with Elton Brand. We have to keep Arnie Kander happy.

Rip, well, I hate how he's morphed into this take-your-man-off-the-dribble guy and still loved him curling off screens but he is our most consistent scorer. Tay just does the little things. Just don't ask him to be the focal point because he doesnt excel in those situations IMO. Dyess is still hungry and can be used off the bench if need be.

Stuckey, Rip, Tay, Brand, (Camby? Okafor? Dyess?)

Afflalo, Amir, JMax, Draft Pick, (GWallace?, Backup PG?)

Joe has always been on his game man, you take the mistakes and remake them into something workable. Delfino wasn't gonna cut it here. He deserved a chance someplace else. Jarvis was ok but Flip lost him in the rotation, rightfully so.

And he is right. No excuse. This team WAS good enough. It played better than last year actually with the youth injection. The bench was hungry, but the core was complacent. Shake it up, lose two starters in Sheed and Billups.

I'm rambling. Aw man, I'm excited.

I trust Joe.
  18. NYPistonFan729

NYPistonFan729 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

I don't trust joe. He should have replaced flip last year. I heard the hunter interview with stoney and wojo. joe has too many friends on the team; just listen to the hunter interview you get the sense that flip never had a chance with this group; also i want lindsay gone, he should never have been given so much playing time in the playoffs; he more than anyone undermined flip; when you listen to the interview, you just get a sense that it will be more of the same if hunter is on the team next year and if curry is the coach. if curry coaches the team, two of the core must be gone or it will be more of the same. sheed must go because then the excuses will be limited and other players will then be held accountable. if sheed stays, he always will be the excuse and to why the pistons are not winning
  19. theWORM

theWORM First Round Draft Pick

I thought Flip was not given a proper bench to work with in seasons past. Not so much this season. Ratliff was an upgrade over Dale Davis. I'd take this seaon's bench over every bench we have had since the '04 season. I think Flip made poor use of it. Lots of Lindsey, Stuckey and Maxiel, and little else.

As Joe states in the interview, the Pistons were good enough to steal game 2 in Boston, could have won games 3 and 4 at home and closed the C's out on the road or at the Palace in game 6. At the very least, he expected the team to take it to game 7, not blow a ten point lead in the fourth on your own home floor. A disgrace!

That was not Joe's fault. The players? Yes. But there were so many errors made during the series that indicated the Pistons were an undisciplined and in some respects, but not all, a poorly coached team. Watch an LB or Hubie Brown coached team and you will rarely see the kinds of errors made by the Pistons. At least not without a benching or earful from the sidelines.
  20. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Army G this is what you always wanted.
    New variables to disect.
    I think there's a 50/50 chance any change to this team is a step backward. Including coach.
    Changing for changing sake...you're just chasing your tail.