Joe Dumars

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by tnt1960, Jun 1, 2013.

1. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

WELL yeah.

2. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

I'd have to give potato Joe an A for the offseason. The turnover: Tayshaun, Daye, Maxiell, Maggette, Calderon, English & Frank are out. Billups, Smith, IRF, and Bynum are in. CJ McCollum looks great in SL but with Pope, I can see where Dumars is going with size and athleticism. Billups goes a long way to address the PG issue and the perimeter shooting issue. Regardless of how it turns out, he's made solid moves bringing an influx of B talent and unloading guys who are still on the outs as FAs.
    Monroe was hammered inside because he was playing next to Maxiell and I'd give up a few highlight jams to effectively shut down your main weapon. Instead of a bench guy, you got a bona fide 16 pt scoring threat that can dunk just as well. The overall talent level has gone up significantly AND we have so nice young prospects in the wing.
    The coaching staff seems to be more geared to development and improvement from within than getting over the hump on a championship run. From the top to the bottom, we seem to have role models and promising young guys.

We still need another year but right now, we're in good shape to improve during the season.

Darth Tater likes this.
  3. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Am I right on this: We have 15 guys signed now, and one guy, Siva is not signed. Do we have until the the end of training camp to sign Siva? Is that the deadline?

Signed: Bynum, Billups, Knight, Stuckey, Pope, Middleton, Singler, JJ, Datome, Smith, Mitchell, Monroe, CV, Kravtsov, Drummond.

4. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    Detroit Pistons' Joe Dumars adamantly denies Brandon Jennings, Knight-for-Rondo rumors | MLive.com

5. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

Has Mitchell signed a contract yet?

6. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

No one has.

7. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

So there's still a chance that Joe can RE-up Jason Maxiel for 3 yrs/18 million.

8. mikhail1973

9. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Joe Dumards*..So...???? His legacy so far in ten steps...

As a G. M. Is he a genius? A buffoon? Something in between?

Here is How I remember it.. im sure Im missing stuff but the basics since the day Joe hired on...

1. Grant Hill pulls a Snaggle Puss and exits stage left. (Probably not his fault?).

2.Team continues going South (still not his fault).

3. Drafts this guy maybe most of you forgot by the name of Darko. (A huge mistake but maybe not his fault because most G.M. Said they would have made same error).

4. Signs Wallace's, Chauncey, Rip and drafts Prince and Okur. One Championship!! (Einstein). (Some of this probably happened prior to number three).

5. Lets Okur go to resign Sheed? (I think this is how it went??) dumb long term but seemingly necessary at the time?

6. Oh so close to another championship (still brilliant?)

7. Larry Brown fiasco. Adios Amigo. (Probably not Joes fault and he is just an escape goat*?).

8.Hires Flip (admit it. Liking back they were still awfully good. (Very smart still?)

9. Fires Flip. Terrible coaching hires? Terible signings, trades, and contract extensions.Team revolts and play is revolting for years as well. (IDIOT!!)?

10.all the recent drafts and latest moves (I think most of us are optimistic about these). (Maybe back to genius if these work).?

What was the verdict prior to step 10? Will step 10 define him depending on how it works out? Does he need to win another championship?

I'm not sure how I feel about him overall. I think I am back to thinking he is a smart G.M. Irregardless* of how it turns out.

*I hate spelling these words that way because lord knows who is reading our posts but it just seems almost criminal and feels oh so weong to spell them otherwise in this forum. And I don't know why I care and feel it necessary to add pacific* disclaimers each time.

Thoughts? (Not on disclaimers. The post, I mean. Thoughts on Dumards* legacy?

10. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

Regardless of what happens in the next few years, his legacy will always include the two championships he won as a player, the NBA's annual sportsmanship award being named after him, the championship team he put together, and the team he built that went to all those conference finals without having a superstar. They will, of course, also include the Darko pick, the recent years of putrescence, the neutering by Davidson/Gores, Gordon/CV, Billups and Spellcheck for Iverson, Sticking with Stuckey, and his Hefner-like inability to be monogamous with his coaches.

All told, though, he's been more successful than all but 5 other GMs during his time here. He's had his mistakes, but it could be worse - he could be Matt Millen.

linwood likes this.
  11. Darth Tater

Yeah, I just meant legacy as a General Manager. I know all that other stuff made him a super star and Detroit hero on and off the court. I wish more athletes handled themselves the way he does.

But I wonder about the business management. I stuck with him for a long while but then I think it was the last couple of years Ive been throwing rotten fruit at him (whatever I had leftover from hurling in the general vicinity of where Thee TFD, and nemo were standing). :)

So I think the boos were justified but now it sure seems like things are going back to where Pistons fans have become accustomed. I hope whenever he leaved the game it is by his own choice and while things are good. But if his latest tinkering is successful that time could be far down the road.

12. mikhail1973

Joe has been an interesting story as a manager. He had good to go with bad with more good, at least IMHO. It seems that things went south when he took risks - on drafting Darko, on trading Chauncey, signing Gordon and CV. The intentions were always good, but he's been better when he went the cautious route. I will also add that all of the great GMs have a few moves they'd like a do over on.

13. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I bet a lot of coaches would have these ups and downs if they didn't get canned every other year.

14. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

It also makes me wonder how much of his success was due to having Hammond there with him. I remember reading a story about how they would shoot down each others' bad ideas. If Hammond gets fired from Milwaukee, I'd like to see him back in Detroit.

15. max

max All-Star

Pre 2006 he was a great GM who assembles a great team. Gores kept him because he was impressed with how he put the team in a good position to move forward this summer and we are definitely moving forward. Lately I am starting to become a believer again.

16. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

All I know is Ainge will not see 4-5 years of sub .400 ball. With a whole new cast I bet Celts are playoffs in 3 years.

17. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

18. tnt1960

tnt1960 Bench Warmer

roscoe36 likes this.
  19. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Dumars isn't so sure. Trying to cover his butt in case they tank again?

Q: Do you consider it a playoff team?
    A: I don’t know.

20. Darth Tater

Great answer. The only honest and sensible answer anyone can give, IMO. The team's been horrendous the past few years. It sure SEEMS like they've made some huge strides, but nobody has stepped on the court yet.

Personally, I'm GUESSING this roster is talented enough by NBA standards to squeeze in there. But what the hell do I know? How well do the individual players fit together on the court? How much does C..B. have left in the tank? There will be injuries. How many can the team sustain (and to whom) and for how long. Depth will be an issue.

Look at the Miami Heat. It took them an entire year to really gel and reach their potential (although they carried the talent to be damned good even prior to that...although that took some time too). I know we are talking a different league. A different sport, and different circumstances, but people were so sure the Eagles were going to at the very least make the playoffs with their new additions. Result:disaster. You just don't know. Yeah, Dumards was playing it safe, but the truth is the team had a long ways to go.

Unless you are the Wigglesmeister how can you really make an informed call, even if you are the G.M.? People may or may not like Dumard's response. But I believe he actually made the gutsier call by stating the truth.

(disclaimer: Slippy will disagree with my view but will love my passion!!) :)

BallDon'tLie likes this.