1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Joe sacrificed last season, MAYBE

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by DaviaG-Rap, Jun 20, 2009.

1. DaviaG-Rap

DaviaG-Rap First Round Draft Pick

this coming season will be pegged as a rebuilding year as well. Whatever we do this summer- it will be difficult to get to the level of Orlando, Cleveland, Boston or Chicago. Paraphrasing Joe D, we could continue to put ourselves in a position to make it to the Conference Finals or we could rebuild and give ourselves a legitimate hope at a championship.

The Mullens promise rumor just got me thinking that Joe is looking for next summer to make his splash. Why not just ride Mullens into the lottery next June? Get a high pick, save your cap space, build for the future, and put yourself in a position to get a high profile player next summer.

We could add a player like Channing Frye who after his rookie year I thought could be an All-Star. He seems like the sort of underappreaciated player Joe D would be interested in. Gortat could be an option at center.

PG- Stuckey, Bynum
    SG- Rip, Afflalo
    SF- Prince, Sharpe, Washington
    PF- Frye, Johnson, Maxiell
    C- ?, Brown, Mullens, Plaisted

Sometimes you have to lose in order to win. Take a step back to take a step forward. Kiss some frogs, to find your prince. Ok maybe not that last one. While I don't mind the idea of signing a couple of players like Gordon and Boozer and then trading Rip to find a center...I don't like the idea of letting a suspect free agent crop force you into making decisions.

2. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    This lineup is not going to win more than 20 games. They won't stop anyone. I don't know if financially it is a sound decision. I don't think Joe is prepared for this.

3. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I think that was Dave's point. Head to the lottery for a year and come back to the pack in 2010-11.

4. mikhail1973

What pack are you talking about? The Milwaukees, Charlottes, and Indianas of the past few seasons? Do we really think that Pistons may be able to land someone like LeBron or D-Wade?

5. DaviaG-Rap

Maybe not Lebron or Wade...but Joe Johnson, Josh Howard, McGrady, TJ Ford, Camby, Jermaine O'neal, Richard Jefferson, Micheal Redd, Mike Miller, Nash, Shaq, Amare, Ginobili, Bosh- could all be available either through free agency or trade.

Right now it seems like our only options are Ben Gordon, Paul Millsap, Carlos Boozer, Hedo Turkolgu, Lamar Odom or Trevor Ariza.

6. Smoooth

Smoooth First Round Draft Pick

I don't think Rip and Tay wants to be part of a rebuilding team anyway, if we continue to suck next year they are both goners.

7. mikhail1973

Out of the list of the next year's FAs, only a couple may peak interest. Pistons need an impact player. Amare is one of them. Joe Johnson got completely bottled up in the playoffs. I am not too high on Howard and Jefferson. Redd is a great scorer, but nothing beyond that. Nash, Shaq, and Ginobili all seen better days. And McGrady, Ford, and Camby are always on the DL, if not count the age getting up there. So, I don't know if next year will offer those grand opportunities to make the team a competitor.

8. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Ben Gordon - no
    Paul Millsap - yes (for the right price)
    Carlos Boozer - no
    TurkeyGlue - no
    Lamar Odom - no
    Trevor Ariza - yes
    Lebron - yes
    Wade - yes
    Joe Johnson - yes
    Josh Howard - no
    T-Mack - no effing WAY!
    Ford - no
    JO - no
    R-Jeff - no
    Redd - no
    Mike Miller - no
    Nash - no
    Shaq - no
    Amare - no
    Manu - no
    Bosh - yes

9. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

BDL, agree with you all the way except the Turk. I wouldn't mind seeing him here. I'd rather have him be the new "shooter" than Gordon.

10. DaviaG-Rap

Well I guess there is no pleasing you. I think McGrady would be a great fit here at the right price....he definitely isn't a max type player. He's quickly becoming Allan Houston. TJ Ford, Mike Miller, Josh Howard and Amare seem like very good fits to me.

11. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

There are excellent opportunities this year... there hasn't been a better climate for pocket picking tightwad owners... think more trade and less F.A.s

12. theWORM

theWORM First Round Draft Pick

1. Its called a lottery for a reason.

2. Even serial lottery winner's are no lock to rise to the top, even several years on. Witness the Clippers. OK, they don't count.

Witness the plight of the Bulls. It's only now, after SEVERAL years of drafting at or towards the top, that they seem to have created some respectability that will endure for a few seasons. But they are probably one ping pong ball gone astray from not being so respectable so. And we would hardly call them a team at the head of the pack now would we?

Another example: when we drafted Grant Thrill (pick #2?), we became a PO team again, but did we ever even get a sniff at the ECFs?

13. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

No amount of hallucinogenic drugs could afford my mind the ability to manufacture a situation where MacGrady would be a "great fit" in Detroit.

...and I CAN indeed be pleased.

I'll be pleased I Joe decides to use any combination of trade assets and/or cap space to sign/aquire any combination of the "yes" players that I mentioned (or even a few of the "no" guys if they can be had for the right price).

14. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Resign AI, and then trade Rip, Tay & Stuckey to Houston for MacGrady. That situation would be a great fit.

Surely an AI-MacGrady backcourt can bring in [strike]trophy after trophy [/strike]story after story for at least for the next 3-4 [strike]years [/strike]months.

15. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

McGrady would be an excellent fit here from the standpoint that we have a burgeoning Healthcare industry here in SE Michigan.

16. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

Yes! It's all about trades.

Gotta get that PG and my choice (and new style) for the Pistons is Ford. You must get to know your movement pattern and talent fits. Ford breaks up the P/R and begins to open up the wings.

He will force connections. A fish's mouth opens when squeezed at the base.

The Piston's turnover will have to find a way to asked how it will define itself. Has anyone ask this of JD?

If they have 15 on the board...then go extreme...either go the high or small. Go Mullens or Lawson. Much depends on how the plan is defined?

17. mikhail1973

NBA Draft buzz - NBA - CBSSports.com Basketball

There

18. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

I agree with the premise, but I think Joe is allergic to rebuilding seasons and will go for broke in the FA market this year. I can see a starting lineup of : Stuckey, Rip, Tay, Boozer, and Mullen with Gordon playing significant minutes as the 6th man.

Good enough to get to the playoffs again, but that's not a championship team.

19. mikhail1973

What would you do if you were a manager? :stirthepot:

20. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

You really don't want to know, ignoring my gut instinct to trade for Darko and resign Delfino, I'd offer any two of Rip, Tay, and Stuckey to get Rubio. I'd draft Daye. I'd sign Lee. And combine who's leftover from the Rubio trade and the rest of our picks to move up to get Mullens.

We have:
    Rubio/Bynum
    Dime a dozen 2 to be picked at random
    Daye/Aflalo
    Lee/Jmax
    Mullens/Brown

Playoffs next year? maybe, but the team is back to an upswing, and still cap space to sign someone else.