Joe should go after Amare

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Stuckey.And1, Feb 6, 2009.

1. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

How about a Pistons/Shaq team meeting a Spurs/Sheed team in the Finals. That would be a strange one.

With Am'ar'e, there would be room in the paint for him, so that shouldn't be a problem. From everything he's said over the past few years, he clearly wants to be "the man." Combine that with his comments about wanting the freedom of a playground game and that it's against his religion to lose, and we have a strong personality. It's probably the kind of thing where it's OK when you're winning, but when you get a little adversity, it can destroy a team.

I'm really torn on this one. The main problem that I'm having is that I'm not convinced he's a championship big. I have a similar problem with Bosh. Both these guys to me seems like skinny, high scoring bigs who will never play the type of defense necessary to beat a tough team in the Finals. And between the two, I like Bosh better.

But I haven't put enough thought into it to cement my opinion. And it's not like our bigs are championship caliber at this point either.
  2. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

I know what you mean. I don't know if Amare's mature enough to become a "team guy" and make changes if necessary to his game or attitude that comes with playing in DET's system. However, he has shown that he really cares about his teammates and did step up in a few playoff series (and i mean up not on the court lol). Against the Spurs, the Suns were generally forced to play half-court basketball and Amare still had great offensive production for the most part. We are also looking to run more.

It might just be too good of a deal to pass up if all they want is an expiring + pick or a young player.

I'm not a Bosh fan. I don't like his mental game. He's too easily intimidated. Sheed gets inside his head way too easily. He did show an ability to step up on defense when he played for Team UsA. And compared to Amare, they are probably queal in terms of +/-.

I think at this point you go for whoevers avaliable/best deal. There was some article saying the only way the pistons would consider trading their expiring for non-expiring is if they had the chance to get Amare or Bosh.

edited to add;

In a suns article they said everyone's on the table except Nash (which doesn't make sense), so maybe Shaq is a (remote) possibility.
  3. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

The thing about Shaq is that his contract matches AI's perfectly.

AI expires this year and Shaq's expires next year. So, we'd still have a valuable asset next year to trade and if we let it expire, it will drop off during the big FA year anyway. When it comes to selling tickets, I would guess they are both on par, which is good b/c the market for him will remain open next year.

The trade would elminate the redundancy that we have at the SG position and would add a true C, which we don't have at all right now (except for Kwame).

Also, Sheed seems like the ideal wingman for Shaq. The most powerful player in the NBA in the paint combined with the NBA's most versatile PF. With Shaq in the game, Sheed can bomb away and it will actually be a great strategy.

The only way that it would make sense for us would be if we felt that we could make a run at the title this year.

Stuck/ Bynum
    Rip/ Afflalo
    Tay/ dear god
    Sheed/ Jamirmax
    Shaq/ Dyess

Seems like a pretty decent squad to me. Shaq does have an eFG of about .600 this year, which isn't too shabby.
  4. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Of course, Curry would play Shaq 43 minutes a game and he would break down by the end of March.
  5. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

from a langlois mailbag:

interesting that he isn't necessarily shooting the idea down. if i'm joe i'm working the phones. i'd give 'em sheed and a 1st rounder and call it a day.
  6. Tha Locstah

Tha Locstah First Round Draft Pick 1x Fantasy Champion

AMARE is overrated???!!!?!?!?

Sheed has to be one of the most overrated players in the NBA! I can't recall a 13 and 7 guy that gets as much hype as he does. I like him because he's a fun guy but he's 7 ft tall with one of the sweetest turn around jumpers in the NBA (nearly unstoppable when he backs down his man) who thinks what's best is that he stand outside and chuck! He is the one who should have been traded. This team wouldn't beat the team we had in 2003/04 before we got Sheed. I think he had a lot of value at one point but that value has run it's course.

Try this idea on for size........

ESPN.com - NBA - Trade Machine Results=

Toronto may be willing to part with Bosh if they feel their chances of resigning him are slim. The only thing is why would Toronto give up Bosh a year early? They'd have to want that money off their books next year as opposed to 2010 when Bosh will be a FA. I think the Amare talk is for naught because the Suns want a mix of young talent and expiring contracts. We can't aford to give what they would want in return.

ESPN.com - NBA - Trade Machine Results=

This one's a lot more complicated but I like it for all involved. Let AI leave in the off season, Look for a C and trade RIP allowing Stuck to slide over to the 2.
  7. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I get upset when people attack Sheed for shooting 3s. He's a pretty darn good 3 point shooter as well. It's not like he's out there chucking up at a 20% make rate. He's pretty efficient and has made a ton of clutch 3s for the Pistons.

Yeah, we want him on the block. I want Tay on the block too. Don't see anyone criticizing Tay. Or Dice. Or even Rip, who isn't too bad in the post.
  8. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Giving Phoenix AI or Sheed would both give them the expiring contracts they desire. It's only 40 games or so until those guys drop off the books. The trading deadline is coming up. They are lusting for cap space.

Joe is in a good position to get us a big man right now. If he is able to do it (preferably while keeping Sheed), then I think we have a shot this year.

We have this $22M expiring contract. And the best part about it is that we don't really need the player tied to it, but other teams could use it.

This also makes me wonder, what if we traded Rip for an expiring contract and used AI for the rest of the year? We'd then have $47 odd million dropping off the books next year. Don't bother signing anyone and tank next season out. Get about 5 wins. Secure the #1 draft pick and go after Lebron+Wade in 2 years. Maybe use some of the savings to rehab Detroit and make it more attractive. Hope for global warming.

This is like a mental dry heave. I'm officially out of ideas.
  9. Latinoking90

Latinoking90 Bench Warmer

If we can get Shaq, sign an extension for Sheed (more money for 2010) or he resigns cheaply and we get a SF like Marvin Williams this summer and fire Curry.

We are world champs again!
  10. lk#1

lk#1 First Round Draft Pick

Amare doesn't solve all of our problems but what more can we expect to get in 2010? Signing Amare or Bosh is all we can wish for.

Stuckey, Iverson, Afflalo will flourish if Pistons' pace is faster. I like this move from this point. Our defense will take another step back but Sheed won't play here forever. At least Stoudemire is a beast on one end of the floor. He can shoot the ball, he can get to the basket. After AI is gone we will need to find a center playing good defense. It's not easy but getting a player like Amare is even more difficult. I have my doubts but as long as Joe D doesn't give up Stuckey we should make the move.
  11. tosher

tosher Second Round Draft Pick

Amare is exactly the kind of player we need right now.
    Look, SHEED's great and all, but he's already unhappy and probably won't stay around next year. There are already rumors he's flirting with the idea of joining the Spurs of all teams next year...
    We need to get someone for him now if we can, and especially the kind of players we're targeting in 2010- Stoudemire and Bosh.
    Stoudemire isn't perfect, but he'll have free reign to shoot a ton here. Pair him with Kwame in the frontcourt...

I'd actually consider making it a bigger trade to suit all the issues with these teams... Kerr seems to want it all as always, but they don't need to rebuild with youth this year - they want a draft pick and future space to rebuild later, but that team's built to win now or never, unlike ours. Nash and Shaq/Hill are all on their last legs... Rasheed would be perfect for them.

I would do something like:
    Rip, Rasheed, Maxiell or AJ + draft pick
    for
    Stoudemire, Richardson, Barbosa...

They've flirted with trading Barbosa who's underrated off the bench.
    Maxiell doesn't fit in, even more so with Stoudemire - we'd have 3 PF's. Get rid of his contract and he has good value.
    Rip's more valuable than Richardson, but I like the fit for Richardson here - he's a better 3 point shooter and athletic, and Rip's not thriving in our system like he would in Phoenix. We get younger in the process too.

Next year, when we let AI go, Stuckey will start with Richardson/Prince/Stoudemire/Kwame, with a bench of McDyess/AJ/Aflalo/Barbosa.

Something like that's got to go down... In 2010 or even next year we'll also have money for another FA big man...

Things are looking up, we just have to embrace changing the guard.
  12. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

That works too.

Lots of good ideas today. And it's obvious that Joe has a lot of options.

This is the time of the year where certain teams give up and have different incentives than we may have. There are win-win trades that are possible.
  13. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Will there even be any cap space left after they sign Amir in 2010? He'll just be hitting his stride by then.
  14. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Not many teams will have the $15M necessary. Maybe if we strike out on Bosh, Amir can be our plan B.
  15. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Well Stoudemire was an all star caliber forward in 2004 without Nash, scoring 20 ppg with 8 rebounds on 48% shooting...

While Nash has certainly helped Stoudemire become the lethal offensive weapon he is today (that Nash-Amare pick & roll was probably the most indefensable play for about 4 years), I think Stoudemire is more than capable of being a great scorer without Nash. He has great hands, can finish better than just about anybody underneath the rim and has a great mid range jumper to keep the defenses honest.

But there are a lot of negatives to his game, most of which have been discussed in this thread already.
  16. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

I like the Shaq idea... but who do we give up to get him?
  17. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Only AI.
  18. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

The salaries match.... Shaq only has another year left on his contract too.

I'm definitely intrigued by this idea. It would definitely be weird rooting for Shaq after all of the years of rooting against him.
  19. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

He's declined to the point where I could actually root for him if he came here with a positive attitude. I just really didn't like watching him when he was unstoppable and got away with all the elbows to the face of the defenders. The refs allowed him to get away with more contact than any player in history.
  20. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

When is the trade deadline anyway? How much longer do we get to speculate?