Joe should go after Amare

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Stuckey.And1, Feb 6, 2009.

1. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Usually around Feb 21.

It seems like only yesterday when we acquired Juan Dixon and cash considerations from Toronto in exchange for Primoz Brezec.

Very underrated move from the master.
  2. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

True about the elbows, but I'll admit that Shaq is probably the single toughest guy to officiate in the history of the sport.
  3. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I saw our current state of mediocrity coming when we let a stud like Brezec go.

Is there a deadline when Trent Plaisted can no longer play this year?
  4. markie8002000

markie8002000 First Round Draft Pick

5. Stuckey.And1

Stuckey.And1 First Round Draft Pick

Tay and Sheed would be too high a price to pay, but I don't think Rip and Sheed is too high. But with Jason Richardson, I doubt Rip would have a place in PHX. Maybe we could find a 3rd team who is interested in Rip and would throw in sweeteners for Phoenix.

Philly comes to mind, thad young or speights
    Washington, and Utah could also have interest in Hamilton

Afflalo can replace Hamilton for us. IMO he is a better fit because he attacks the basket and gets stops as opposed to the mid range defensively weaker game of Rip.
  6. theWORM

theWORM First Round Draft Pick

Come on people's. Did anyone bother to read this stellar post.

61st among centers in rebounds per minute. 65th in blocks per minute. 48th among PFs in boards per minute.

I don't care if he's being coached by Terry Porter's mama (no offense to Mama Porter intended). Any young big with that level of athleticism should never ever ever be that poor a rebounder and shot blocker. That makes him what, thirty times worse a rebounder and shotblocker than our starting SF?

Joe D has a plan. Thank God it's not Amare.
  7. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

That's way too long. My head hurts already from all the possibilities. The more i think about AI for Shaq, the more i warm up to it. I don't know if i could get use to having to root for Shaq, but it would fill a need. A motivated, healthy Shaq is still an asset.

The thing is i don't see PHX trading him. He's been their best player and if they are looking to move Amare, Shaq would be essentially the only big left besides some random Louis guy they play and the funny-haired other twin who rarely plays.

edited to add;

If they kept Amare i see it working, but that means they committed to a running style, and Kerr wants to go in the opposite direction.
  8. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

I honestly don't know where Kerr is going or where he wants to go... He's just destroyed that team.
  9. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Even so, he still gets 8 rebounds a game, which is higher than everybody on the Pistons, except Dyess at 8.5. Before Shaq got there, he was up at 9.6 per game.

His blocks would put him behind Sheed and Amir on our team. He gets twice as many as Dyess.

The thing that scares me are the turnovers though. 2.87 per game is even more than AI at 2.67. Pretty bad for a big.
  10. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

I think he's trying to go towards becoming a defensive team. He's just not doing a very good job, and doesn't understand you can never be a defensive team with Nash at PG.

I agree with you that he screwed the team up, but i guess you could argue they weren't going anywhere to begin with.
  11. pass99

pass99 Team Captain Forum Donor

Now that's what I call a statically weak argument. Keep that 401k handy.
  12. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

Well, I haven't really watched the Suns for a few seasons now so I'm not sure how Amare is doing. But it doesn't sound from the stats that he's doing that great. But that also could be due to Shaq. Amare was doing alot of what Shaq does now, right?

I like Amare and if he does have to be set up by Nash, well he could be set up by our own Rodney Stuckey. That is what has to happen with whoever is in that power forward position anyway. I don't like the lack of rebounding though.

I've always had a hankering for Andris Biedrins myself, as Centers go. I mean, yeah not top tier, but pretty reliable producer and not a ton of ego to deal with.

I can't imagine Shaq in a Piston uniform. Sorry I just can't get there. But then again Shaq does play in the post, which Rasheed only does kind of intermittently.

God, I wonder who will make major moves before February 19. Don't you wish you could be a fly on the wall of these GMs making the rounds with their phone calls and offers?

Again, I am so glad I ordered my AI jersey. Almost everyone seems to think that he is most likely to be moved. I thought we got him to be the new glue to cement our playoff team, and failing that, for cap space. If we trade him after only half a season, I don't know. I don't think Uncle Wesley is going to like that and neither do I! He's really going to feel like a journeyman if he ends up at a bottom dwelling team.

All I can say, if we trade Allen Joe better make a great trade that gives respect to Allen and us. It's not right to bring a superstar in in October, and trade him before the trade deadline. That ain't right. It just ain't.
  13. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I watched that Suns game fairly closely today.

19 and 15 for Amar'e. But he did get blocked 3 times.

Shaq looked like a lug. I take back my trade recommendation. I'd be afraid to have him after another off season. Slowwwwww.
  14. The Palace Artest

The Palace Artest First Round Draft Pick

Whats funny is that Amare benefited from Shaq LAST YEAR.

This year he's all famine. I'm guessing that Terry Porter killed him and his future in PHX. I'm so sick of Rasheed and his "all-world talent" that he supposedly has, and outside of his great post defense, he's a miserable rebounder and rotation defender. I'm not really that high of Amare but I think hes an entertaining player who would INSTANTLY become our best offensive player. However we'd still need a real center.
  15. AI IS GOD

AI IS GOD Second Round Draft Pick

16. NYPistonFan729

NYPistonFan729 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

I don't blame Amare for wanting to leave. Kerr made a good situation worse. It was always entertaining to watch the Suns try to score 140 points every night. Also, Suns have been on the back end of some very suspicious officiating which did not help their title hopes.
  17. markie8002000

18. markie8002000

19. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

People saying Amare doesn't play D or rebound have to realize he's never been in a system like DET's. They said the same thing about AI before he got here and look how well that turned out.
  20. blackhawk

blackhawk First Round Draft Pick

There are a lot of teams in the discussion with Phoenix with Detroit being one.

From what I gather these are the teams:

A. Chicago Bulls:
    Can't imagine Steve Kerr taking on a Chicago trade and biting on a bunch of mediocrities for a Stoudemire caliber talent.

B. Miami Heat:
    Can't see Steve Kerr making a trade with Miami since a trade for Marion concedes that Kerr made the wrong move last February.

C. Detroit Pistons:
    Detroit can offer young talent or proven talent along with expiring contract(s), draft pick(s) or long term contracts. Kerr knows Detroit is negotiating from a weak position who recently witnessed an end in consecutive sell-outs even after we traded for a ticket seller in Iverson.

So what does Kerr want?
    I'll start a process of elimination and work inside out.
    First, Rodney Stuckey and Iverson are not going to Phoenix. Stuckey is off the table and Phoenix has little use for cap-relief when Shaq and Nash are old. And are trading a top 2010 free agent prospect to acquire cap relief. McDyess is out (look up Denver), can't imagine Phoenix wanting Afflalo given they recently traded their defensive stopper not long ago. Non-roation players such as Herrmann and Kwame are probably out. Think Rip is off the list since they have three quality guards.

Which leaves: Rasheed, Maxiell. Johnson, and Prince.

Rasheed would probably have to be included in any trade scenario involving Stoudemire. Rasheed has an expiring contract, unhappy in Detroit and would compliment Shaq. Of course Phoenix would want more. So here is what Detroit and Phownix will be discussing in the next week or so. Kerr would probably ask for Rasheed and Prince. An expiring contract is not sufficient for a Stoudemire caliber player and Grant Hill is not the small forward solution of a championship team.

Trading Prince and Rasheed works out poorly for Detroit. Prince a defensive stopper and occasionally an offensive catalyst. His subtraction would equal a huge reduction in terms of production. The trade would not put us at the top and Dumars knows this. Which is why Dumars will probably refuse the offer.

Kerr would be left with two options.
    1. Ask for an alternative. Maybe both Maxiell and Amir.
    Dumars offers Kerr's choice of either Amir or Maxiell (probably Amir) and a draft pick.

or
    2. Kerr adds more compensation. Complicated. Throw-in may be Grant Hill. Hill at SF would be a dropoff for Detroit. Further, we are left with a nucleus of Stuckey and Stoudemire to build around. Hill would be out of future plans at 36 yoa.