John hammond gone

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by pistonsfan, Apr 11, 2008.

1. linwood

linwood All-Star

I think this is true 99.9% of the time. :pound:

2. linwood

linwood All-Star

This American had to look up Dana Perino. Now that I know who she is, I appreciate the comparison!

:MusicBigGrin:

3. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

The Bucks just became the first team to beat the Heat twice this year. They have scored 100 or more 9 times.

Jon Leuer has had some nice games. 7 times scoring in double digits and 7 times with 5+ rebounds with only about 20 mpg. He's leading the team in shooting percentage, offensive rating, and win shares/48 minutes (2nd in total win shares). Not bad for the 40th overall pick- considering he's 2nd in win shares for rookies, only behind Kyle Irving. He's also 2nd in FG% for all rookies, 7th in 3P%, 14th in boards, 20th in assists.

They traded Jimmer down for Tobias Harris, who is currently 2nd on the Bucks in scoring rate.

They unloaded Magette and Salmons (who's now having his worst year in the last 8) and got back Stephen Jackson (2nd on the team in points) and Udrih (who is leading the Bucks in assists/min).

Here is a summary of what they did this off season and through the draft.
    http://onmilwaukee.com/sports/articles/buckstrade06232011.html

Just a side note: Brandon Knight is 60th out of 60 in total win shares for rookies... hopefully that is temporary and just reflects his rookie mistakes at the PG spot.

Salary Structure:
    Bogut- $12M (2 more seasons left after this with slightly higher amounts)
    Jackson- $9M (+$10M next year)
    Udrih- $7M (+ about the same next year)
    Gooden- $6M
    M'Booty- $5M
    Dunleavy/ Delfino/ Livingston- $3.5M a piece about
    Jennings- $2.3M (+ 2 more years with some escalation)!
    Ilyasova- $2M (2nd in rebounds per game)
    Sanders- $2M
    Rooks (Harris/ Leuer)- rounding errors

I don't think that they have a single bad contract and they have several favorable ones (Bogut, Gooden, Delfino, Jennings, Ilyasova, the rooks). They clearly aren't contenders and may not even make the playoffs, but they have a relatively low total team salary and every contract on the books is tradable (Udrih is maybe borderline). It would be a fun team to be the GM of going forward, especially with the low expectations of the Bucks on you.

4. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Or perhaps it is related to the fact that the team is never winning?

5. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

I gotta admit, The title of this old thread made me jump out of my chair. I thought the Bucks fired Hammond and we might have a chance to bring him back to Detroit to share popcorn with Joe.

6. BillLaimbeer

I thought maybe he ran away from home and everyone was out looking for him.

7. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

I cringe when I compare that salary structure/players against ours...........

8. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

I'm so sore from cringing that I need to see a chiroprator.

coynejeremy likes this.
  9. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Kyle Irving leads all rookies in win shares and the Cavs are only 8-12. It's largely a measure of relative production.

If you look at the Pistons in isolation, Knight is also last on that list in terms of win shares:

It goes like this-
    Monroe
    Jerebko
    Stuckey
    Macklin (small sample)
    Wallace
    Prince
    Maxiell
    Villanueva (really small sample)
    Gordon
    Wilkins
    Russell
    Bynum
    Daye
    Knight

Since this is a list of cummulative WS's, there is a bias for playing time.

If you look at WS per minute, then Knight jumps ahead of Russell, Daye, and Bynum.

I'm not trying to say the kid stinks and isn't going to develop, just that he is adding loss shares at the moment and helping the tank get through the mud.

10. linwood

linwood All-Star

Sounds like Brandon's bought into the system. He's a true team player.

11. BillLaimbeer

I'd like to see Brandon increase the assist numbers.

12. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

The Bucks salary structure just got even better.

How does Hammond trade these two guys and win in the trade?

S. Jackson:
    Owed $9.3M this year and $10.1M next year.

A. Bogut:
    Owed $12.1M this year, 13.2M next year, and $14.2M through 2014.

???

What did they get in exchange for the 2 least productive per $ guys on their roster?

1) Ellis: $11M, $11M, and $11M
    #1 in scoring, assists, and steals on Golden State (for the same price as Ben Gordon). The guys in the NBA that average over 20 points and 6 boards are very rare-
    CP3, Lebron, D Rose, D Will, and Ellis.

2) Udoh: $3.3M, $3.5M, $4.5M (team option), and $6.0 (qualifying offer)
    That's an awesome contract! He's the top +/- player on the team. He is their best interior defender. He has 65 blocks on the year with the next closest player having 32 and he does it in 22 mpg. He's been playing center recently due to injuries of GS's centers.

3) Kwame: $7.0M expiring
    Kwame is injured for the year with "chest" injury. Just a plug to make the numbers work.

IMO, highway robbery. How did he do it? GS may have been feeling some nostalgia for Jackson since he was the man years ago there... but jeez, he demanded a trade out of there and they had to pawn him off below fair value! Bogut is a big bad gamble at this point, especially that they are getting him injured.

Hammond just traded a perpetually injured center under a long term contract and a malcontent with diminishing production for younger, better, lower cost, more flexible pieces.

The only counterpoint that I can think of is that Bogut's injuries throughout his career have been unlikely and very different. So, it may just be bad luck and when he's back, he may not be any more likely than anyone else to get injured again (ala Stafford). Still, seems like a big gamble to get him for only 2 more years at best.

13. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Good analysis Tashawn.

The Bucks figured they'd rather keep Skiles than Jackson (clash of ego's), and I guess just ran out of patience with Bogut. Despite all his injuries it's really hard to call him an injury risk when you think about. I mean, he has been pretty unlucky with the last two - freak accidents. It's not like they are recurring injuries. Plus bones heal, unlike cartilage and meniscus and things so you'd think he still has some good years left. Pairing Bogut with Lee is a pretty good move I reckon. Bogut gives the Warriors much needed interior defense and leaves Lee to gobble up the boards. The running and gunning Warriors are now a thing of the past.

The trade pretty much guarantees they're gonna tank the rest of the season and most likely shut down Curry. There are draft pick implications for next year depending on where they finish. They'll get a good look at Klay Thompson.

Ellis should fit in nicely for the Bucks, but it's hard to see anyone not named Jennings and Ellis getting more than 10 per game. Well see how they mesh. Ellis and Skiles probably also isn't a match made in heaven.

14. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I think I read that gs has to give up their pick unless it is top 7 or something. so maybe they are happy tanking out to keep their pick.

15. jayborne

jayborne Bench Warmer

John Hammond gets a lot of credit around these parts for making mediocre moves with a mediocre roster that has a mediocre record and has a mediocre coach who overachieves in his first season then is gone at the end of his 3rd pretty consistently.

When did John Hammond become Tim Tebow? He's making a lot of NBA GM moves out there.

But hey, any time a team pairs an offensively inefficient, defensively inept PG with an offensively inefficient, defensively inept SG, you have to commend the move.

alexa032, round and Walter like this.