Johnson and Acker to Fayetteville

Discussion in 'Other Hoops Talk' started by Warthog, Feb 26, 2006.

1. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

Amir Johnson headed to NBDL

"Detroit announced after the game that rookie Amir Johnson would report to the NBDL on Monday"

**link** - see bottom

looks like we have another team besides the pistons to start paying attention to :) if we sign delk i foresee acker headed down there with amir
  2. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Re: Amir Johnson headed to NBDL

Glad to hear that... I'll try to keep folks updated on Amir... they play NBDL games on NBA TV at least twice a week during the day..... hear that Lee?
  3. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

My only question is... WHAT TOOK SO LONG?!?! Johnson should have been down there months ago. I'd rather he started the year in the D and then maybe brought up later in the season. Not to play - which he hasn't anyway, but just to get the feel of a playoff run on a Championship caliber team. They've done it all backwards IMO.

Something else to ponder. I wonder how differently the "Darko experiment" would have turned out had we had access to the NBDL 2 years ago?
  4. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

jammer, at the beginning of the year no one in the NBA even knew how the NBDL would be structured and if it was a good option for the youngsters. plus i disagree with you, i think it was better that the rookies spend a lot of time with the team, learn the offensive and defensive sets, get comfortable with the system/players/coaches, and then go apply that to the NBDL.
  5. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Fair points Warthog, I guess I'm just a bit afraid of "the Darko" syndrome reering its ugly head again.

Is it better for an 18 year old to sit for an entire year and watch from the first row, or to play through his lumps in the D league? If he was the only player in that situation, then I probably wouldn't worry as much, but we also have Acker and Maxiell in their first year and Delfino (and Darko until last week) still trying to find their places on this team all ahead of AJ on the depth charts.
  6. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

Amir is different from Darko in that he's dominated an entire season...even if it was at the high school level. Reports from Europe before Darko's draft showed that Darko dominated games but generally was pulled up to the next level before he could ever stand head and shoulders above his peers.

NBDL experience is decent for game time experience and I guess its good for a preps to pros guy but I don't think that's as good as a good college team.
  7. Hotsauce

Hotsauce First Round Draft Pick

This is great news. Hopefully Acker can get down there as well.

I will look forward to tracking his games. Hopefully he gets a ton of PT.
  8. Woody

Woody All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Please see my very recent post in the Win Now or Develope the Rookies thread!!!

The NBDL is specifically designed for Amir, Acker, Maxiel type players so they can get a lot of game experience against better-than-college competition. Is it the NBA? Of course not. Darko would have benefited GREATLY from two years in the NBDL. But he came out before it was available. From a $$$ standpoint, he made out well, from a development standpoint he lost out greatly, and so did we. (except we'll get another good #1 pick down the road - maybe HE can use the NBDL)
  9. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

oh i don't disagree with you at all. i wanted acker/johnson to head down to the NBDL after the all-star break (and maybe jmax too since it looks like dale davis will be just fine). i think it'd be great for them to start applying all of their gym rat and pistons knowledge stuff to game situations.
  10. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

it would be cool for all three to go down there for a little bit. They can keep each other in line.
  11. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

i think max is two players per team at a time isn't it?
  12. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

If we get Delk, then Ack should go!
  13. SKluck

SKluck First Round Draft Pick

Too bad the Pats are by FAR the worst team in the NBDL, that could mess with whatever he may learn there.
  14. Hotsauce

Just think of it as more PT for Amir.
  15. DirtyMoney

DirtyMoney First Round Draft Pick

Age and maturity was the determining factor. Dumars felt it would have been irresponsible to throw a youngster out there like that. I will look for the articles that spoke on it.
  16. himat

himat Bench Warmer

good for him. i hope he does great there.
  17. Hotsauce

Its cool because Mateen is on the Patriots too:nod:

He posted 35 points and 9 assists the other night.
  18. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Detroit Assigns Johnson To Patriots
    AUBURN HILLS, Mich., February 27 - Detroit Pistons President of Basketball Operations Joe Dumars announced today that the Detroit Pistons have assigned rookie Amir Johnson to the Fayetteville Patriots of the NBA Development League (D-League).

Amir Johnson heads to Lafeyetteville
    by Matt Watson

With the Pistons embarking on a week-long road trip, they've decided to dispatch 18-year-old rookie Amir Johnson to the Fayetteville Patriots, their NBDL affiliate. From the sounds of things, he'll be back when the Pistons come home, but either way it'll give us an excuse to check out some NBDL box scores the next couple of days.

Upcoming D-League Fayetteville Patriots Schedule

Friday, March 3
    Roanoke @ Fayetteville 7:30 p.m.

Sunday, March 5
    Fayetteville @ Florida 5:00 p.m.

Tuesday, March 7
    Fayetteville @ Florida 7:00 p.m.

Here are some answers to the most common D-League questions.

Q. Which team is Detroit affiliated with?

A. The Fayetteville Patriots. This team is also affiliated with the Charlotte Bobcats and New York Knicks organizations.

Q. Who can be sent to the D-League?

A. Any player with less than 2 seasons NBA service. On the Pistons roster, this includes Carlos Delfino, Jason Maxiell, Alex Acker, and Amir Johnson.

Q. What is the purpose of the D-League?

A. To provide an atmosphere for NBA rookie and sophmore players to gain playing time that would be otherwise unavailable on the major league affiliate. Of course, young NBA talent will dramatically increase the talent level and marketability of what is clearly a "B" league.

Q. How long can a player be kept in the D-League?

A. As far as I know, there are no restrictions on length of time spent in the minors.

Q. Do NBA players get paid less when playing in the D-League?

A. No. They earn their major league contracts, just as they would if riding the bench for their NBA club.

Q. Can a player be brought back up to the NBA club from the D-League?

A. Yes. With the new roster rules implemented over the summer, NBA linups are set in a similar fashion to baseball, prior to each game. The "game lineup" can be up to 12 players declared active (of a 15 man roster).

Q. Can teams send their players up and down all season?

A. No. Each player may only be assigned to the D-League a maximum of twice in one season.

Q. If the Pistons send a player to Fayetteville, does that open up a roster spot on the big league club?

A. No. Only players on the Pistons 15 man roster may be sent down, and while with the minor league affiliate, they will count as one of the 3 inactive players on the game roster.

Q. Can the Pistons send all 3 of this year's rookies down simultaneously?

A. No. Only a maximum of 2 players from the same major league club can be assigned at the same time.

Q. Who coaches the D-League team? Can the Pistons dictate playing time and roster decisions?

A. While the D-League team may take the major league affiliate's wishes under advisement, they are run as independent clubs, with their own coaches and front office staff.
  19. Hotsauce

Re: Amir Johnson to the Fayetteville

Sounds great, thanks for the info...

I look forward to tracking his stats in the d-league. I hope Joe keeps him down there for a while.
  20. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Re: Amir Johnson to the Fayetteville

with the aquistion of tony delk do you think alex acker will go to the d-league as well?