Johnson and Acker to Fayetteville

Discussion in 'Other Hoops Talk' started by Warthog, Feb 26, 2006.

1. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Starter 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Joe is a good drafter, when it comes to late- round picks. He drafted Okur, Delfino, Prince and these two guys we're currently talking about at late positions.
    His weakness is drafting at early positions.
  2. himat

himat Bench Warmer

3. KP

KP First Round Draft Pick

With perhaps the exception of Okur, Joe has just picked the best of what was left over. There's no great genius in that. Genius is seeing what others do not see. And in this case it means passing on the general consensus pick and reaching for the diamond that others can't see.

When Joe picked Johnson and Acker in the 2nd round, there were no raised eyebrows. They were not taken ahead of other guys that were considered "better" by the "experts". If these guys turn into NBA players, it says more about all the other GMs (that passed up these guys) than it does about Joe.

It will interesting to see how Maxeill pans out. He is a case where Joe didn't just pick a guy who was generally acknowledged as one of the best left on the board.

Joe is saying with this pick (Maxiell) that he sees something different than the other GMs - and that he's willing to take a risk/gamble. Let's hope Joe proves to be right.
  4. lemonpen

lemonpen First Round Draft Pick

KP, I can't put my hands on it right now, but maybe two months ago someone researched the draft position of all starters and discovered that >85% of them were first round picks. If Johnson and Acker turn out to be players they will defeat the odds, making Joe look pretty good.
  5. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

6. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

Amir Said the right things:
    “The Pistons are a great team to be with,’’ Johnson said. “Everyone in the organization has taken me under their wing, from the coaches to the players, everybody. The team has a swagger when they go out on the court. They know they’re going to win, and that’s exciting to be part of that.
    “But now I think they want to see me get out there on the court and show what I’ve learned. And I’m fine with that. I’m really anxious to get out there tomorrow night. I’m going to be playing hard.’’

Acker and Johnson haven't just filled stat sheets, they've contributed to winning. :thumb:
  7. Superstarov

Superstarov First Round Draft Pick

8. KP

KP First Round Draft Pick

Agreed, Joe will look pretty good - especially if they become starters.

What I was trying to suggest was that Joe's reputation is more on the line with his pick of Maxiell than his picks of Johnson and Acker.

None of the "experts" have suggested that Johnson or Acker are "reach" picks - they just fell to him and he judged them to be the best players available. Everyone was a bit stunned by his selection of Maxiell.

If Johnson or Acker happen to make it as players, but the "experts" are proven correct on Maxiell (that he wasn't the best available), what does that say about Joe's draft accumen? Does he still look pretty good?
  9. himat

himat Bench Warmer

according to the recap acker and amir were a big part of the patriots run in the 3rd quarter. keep it up.
  10. Hotsauce

Hotsauce First Round Draft Pick

They got a game today. Against the Flame again.

I'm gonna predict Acker with 17pts 5ast
    Johnson 21pts 10reb
  11. Hotsauce

3:40 to go and pats down by 7...

should be a good finish. Cleaves is having another good game.
  12. Hotsauce

well they lost this one... 99 to 90
    It turned out to be a pretty good game.

Amir Johnson had 8 points and 7 rebounds in only 13 minutes.
    Acker had 4 points and 5 assists in 24 minutes.

I think that Amir should be getting 25-30 minutes every game. He is really a good rebounder, lead his team tonite with 7 in only 13 minutes as I said.
  13. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Acker was 1-9 shooting with 5 turnovers. Not good.
  14. jetscreamer

jetscreamer First Round Draft Pick

I went to the game last night. Kind of a sloppy game for Patriots. Flames came out and just out hustled and out shot patriots. But pats came back within 5 I believe. Cleaves really doesn't run plays for others. AJ picked up fouls for just holding defensive postion (not good calls). At one point in the second half AJ athletism and defense helped reduce the deficit. Acker had a nice drive and was fouled but they called a charge. Also Acker ran around some screens turned and fired ala hamilton but he missed. Highlights watching AJ repeatedly jump up high and his free throws look much better than his normal outside shot. Acker has nice rotation and form on his shots and really good ballhandler. ...... Also AJ AA and rickert were at outback after sundays game and a vacationing riverview family sat next to them. Well they starting talking and the players gave them tickets to the game. We were cheering Pistons and so we started chatting.
  15. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

thanks jetscreamer for the info!! hopefully our boyz continue to grow and prepare themselves for the bigtime :)
  16. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

How sweet is that having fan scouts reporting on the rookies.
    OK who's going to Fayetteville NC for the next game?
  17. himat

himat Bench Warmer

amir will bring us great rebounding. acker had a tough shooting night, but i like his game as well
  18. Hotsauce

19. linwood

linwood All-Star

Looks good! 22 and 10 for Mr. Johnson tonight. Not to mention 4 steals and 1 blocked shot. Way to go. Man, I wish I could watch Patriots Ball. The D-league looks like alot of fun.
  20. himat

himat Bench Warmer

ever since our guys came in they've won more, but it's only 3 games.