Johnson believed to be Pistons' top pick

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Steve_OS, Jul 3, 2009.

1. Steve_OS

Steve_OS Second Round Draft Pick

2. Pistons0809

Pistons0809 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

A good, experienced pick it would be! So what if Johnson failed to win a championship with Dallas... I think our concern right now is getting into the playoffs, and trying to get past the first round! A mighty fine hire this would be by Joe.

3. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I haven't watched many Mav's games, so I haven't seen much of Avery's coaching ability. But the small amount that I have seen, I wasn't very impressed.

He didn't seem to have command or control of his team.

4. G-man

G-man Starter

Hey steve _os, don't worry about the post, with everything going on right now we have threads inside of threads and multiple same topic postings.

Welcome aboard..

5. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

I think the "the little general" would be a good hire. He probably learned from blowing a 2-0 lead in the Finals (which cost him his job in Dallas imo).

I also believe he would enjoy coaching in the more physical EC also.

6. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    My big concern is his job "developing" Devin Harris who blossomed as soon as he started playing for another team. We need someone who can mentor Stuckey.

7. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

You mean little Napoleon.

8. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    Just to throw a monkey wrench into this discussion: Sources: Assistants in the hunt for Pistons position - NBA - Yahoo! Sports

9. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Well he won 67 games the year his team was upset in the first round and should have won the title in 2006 if it had not been for the refs falling in love with Wade and Shaq.

So I say lets give him a chance and lets hope he adds Laimbeer to his coaching staff.

I'd like to see Joe interview Thibodou too just in case Avery feels the 8 mill he is getting from the Mavs the next two years is enough to sit back enough and relax. I am sure if I was getting it I would pass on this coaching opportunity.....

10. G-man

G-man Starter

Avery's a nice guy but his coaching demeanor reminds me an awful lot of a young Doug Collins. If he's signed it would be wise to limit his contract to 3 years, that way he'll get to spend at least 12 months getting paid to sit at home and watch television.......

I don't think Dumars should let an artificial set of circumstances like the summer leagues start force him to move too quickly. Seems to me he can always let his new asistant Dave Cowens run the summer league games.

11. kcpistonfan

kcpistonfan First Round Draft Pick

I would be OK with this hire. He had one of the toughest coaching jobs in the world. Yes he has an owner that will spoil his players, but he is there ever second breathing down your neck.

12. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Joe can coach the summer league just to get some coaching experience himself just in case he needs to take over mid seaon....:MusicBigGrin: or better yet hire Bill L for the summer and let him do it with no strings attached of course:stirthepot:

13. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Avery is tough on all of his players, but especially young point guards. I don't know about this hire, especially for Stuckey.

Avery didn't even let Jason Kidd run the show for chrissakes... he calls all the plays and basically micromanages everything. By the time he was finished in Dallas, he had a near mutiny on his hands.

14. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Yea, Avery liked to control and micro-manage everything. He called just about every offensive play even though he had Jason Kidd as his PG.

15. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

It doesn't really make sense to me to go with Avery Johnson right now. I consider him a win now guy and I don't think the Pistons are at that point now. Maybe Joe feels differently about the team than I do.

I like hearing Thidideau's name mentioned, but aren't they building the Suns North now? Perhaps a strong mentor and good system would help everyone improve defensively.

I think the 2 assistants are the way to go.

16. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Well, guys like Ray Allen and Paul Pierce weren't exactly known as 'defensive stoppers' prior to their arrival in Boston... and their defense in 2008 was the best since the 2004 Pistons IMO. Their players bought into the system.

Of course they did have the defensive anchor (KG) which we certainly don't have here.

17. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

A head coach's job is different from an assistant. Coaches have to be communicators and executives. Chuck Daly always likened his position as coach to that of a CEO.

Assistants have more narrowly defined duties and roles. I don't think I would assume that a defensive assistant coach will necessarily have a leadership role in scheming his team's defense. Oh sure, he'll have a say in it, but he will also have a say in the offense, and just because a coach has experience with defense, doesn't necessarily mean he will be predisposed to defense more than offense.

Flip Saunders had a few good ideas about defense, one of which was how much better a team can be if it makes it's shots, and limits transition opportunities for their opponent. LB believed in milking the clock and making opponents defend for 16~18 seconds of the clock to wear them down.

Successful coaches have a team style that doesn't sacrifice offense for defense or vice versa. Their teams get stops and make key baskets. The mark of a bad team is being able to do neither, an average team only being able to do one or the other.

18. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Yeah, this concerns me. I can see this being a good, bad, or in between hire. Just not sure.

There are only a little over two dozen NBA teams out there. Why is it that it is so difficult to find a decent coach? I know coaching an NBA team is not easy with all the personalities, egos, and politics. But there are maybe ten halfway decent coaches.

What is the problem? Hiring retreads maybe? Really, I can't believe there aren't 30 good coaches out there.

19. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

My point was that Thibideau would allow them to gain an identity and something to build around. I also am saying that I think having someone who could grow with the team would probably be more beneficial than having a win now guy if they're not ready to win now. You are burning years of the coach's usefulness. This presumes that the person growing isn't a total stiff.

The more I think about it though they need a coach of some sort to coach the offense if they're going to keep all the guards. They can't keep taking 20 seconds a trip while they all try and shoot.

20. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I think the days of the San Antonio, Detroit, Cleveland, Boston cloud of dust offense, half court brawl defense are coming to an end.

The game is increasingly being played up tempo, even in the playoffs. Athletes and shooters are a premium, the days of behemoth 7 foot big men slugging it out in the paint are fading.

We will still see teams grind it out in stretches, but not for 48 minutes like the recent Pistons/Cavs series.