Johnson believed to be Pistons' top pick

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Steve_OS, Jul 3, 2009.

1. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Who's gonna tell G-Man?

http://www.pistonsforum.com/detroit...sion/10159-so-now-money-has-been-spent-4.html
  2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I don't see how the two are related. If Sheed was 25, this would be his league to own the way it is going. Of course, that presumes he had been able to keep his mouth shut and just play.
  3. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    Source: Tom Thibodeau will be staying put - BostonHerald.com

4. detteam

detteam All-Star

Hopefully Joe spends enough time with Avery on Sunday that he becomes irritated by his whiny voice.
  5. Smoooth

Smoooth First Round Draft Pick

I loved that type of basketball, can't believe people find that boring. And I agree Roscoe, the game really is changing and mistakes are allowed more often in the playoffs, where every possession is supposed to count.
  6. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

There are a lot of interesting perspectives to consider here.

Avery Johnson has worked closely with some of the most knowledgeable coaches in the biz as both a starting point guard on an NBA championship team, and as an assistant moving on to head coach of the Dallas Mavericks.

He's already proven with the Mavericks that he knows how to post a superb regular season record.

His knowledge of the game is pretty extensive. His basketball intelligence should not be questioned.

But best believe it will be should he coach here. He will show flashes of one thing or another that reminds fans of past coaches like Collins, Carlisle, Saunders, and Curry.
    He should also share some traits with Larry Brown, if Gregg Popovich has anything to do with it.

Does that necessarily mean much? Probably not. We are a results driven fanbase, and we ascertain things situationally alot of the time.

Meaning, we could hire 356, and as long as the team were winning games we would be kicking ourselves for doubting the coach of the year genius that was hidden on the message boards for such a long time.
  7. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

young men need experience and guidance. And history. Thats' why I voted for A.Johnson instead of unknown commodity for NBA as Laimbeer or no head coaching experience folks as Kuester. Fratello has been maybe too much time away from NBA...
  8. roscoe36

I like it. But the league never figured out how to properly market it, or rather chose not to market it.
  9. RipBillupsRJC

RipBillupsRJC Second Round Draft Pick

NBA marketing is pretty terrible in almost every regard, btw.

Avery is a better choice than Kuester because Kuester doesn't have an awesome voice.
  10. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

I am not 100 per cent for the General, but being out to the boundaries of the system should have given him a more mature perspective. He has enough obvious arrogance (similar to Laimbeer) to keep in line (no small feat) today's youthful players and the Pistons are definitely getting younger.

JD had best get this move right. He has to go with a vet. The General will probably be pushing for a duration of contract. For me, that would be a problem area. My guess is that you might be looking at 5 mil over at least 4 years. See what I mean by getting it right?
  11. NYPistonFan729

NYPistonFan729 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

I hope your right. Imagine having to listen to him all year.
  12. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

So it's OK to shoot 3's as a big if you're under 25 but if you're in your 30's you should be playing inside so you don't hurt your team?

Did the league really just change since Orlando won the East? It doesn't seem that overnight to me.
  13. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

I don't know man...every time people start making that claim, another champion shows up and wins playing that way....it was said after 89-90...it was said after 04...it was said after the spurs won in 05....it's being said again after the Celtics...

I don't think it's ever going to go away no matter how many people claim it's dead. I think it's a valid means to to continue winning titles. They keep saying it's going away year after year, but teams keep winning with it and we all know the playoffs/Finals get more physical and they continue to let it go. It helps ratings to have stories and confrontations and drama to build on...so they aren't going to really remove it from the game, IMHO.
  14. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    NBA.com: Dumars trying to lure Avery Johnson back to sidelines

More chatter...
  15. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

1. Dumars has to convince potential recruits that after a year they won't be added to sad list of unemployed.
    2. He has to show to potential recruits that he has actually a team for guiding. ( nobody knows whether summer league folks from drafts will be able to contribute daily in NBA yet...Dumars has money to add 1 serious player)
  16. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

I wish the NBA went the route that the NFL has taken... marketing teams rather than individual star players.
  17. roscoe36

By saying "so" that is the second time in as many days that I have written, "I like the colour red" and people have written back, "so why do you hate green and blue?"

Sheed at 25 had a lot more power to finish and energy than 30 something year old Sheed does. Not to mention, the ratio of game to big mouth was in favour of his game back then.

And the game continues to get softer than it was 25 years ago.

I don't think the 2009 Cavs could have won a single game against the Jordan Bulls, let alone the Bad Boys.

But that's not even the crux of my point. The game has become about pace. The real effects of the 3 point arc are being realized by D'Antoni teams and the Magic now. Phoenix tried to do it in the 90s and couldn't pull it off but the evolution of the rules, referees and rookies has allowed the game to transition to what it is now. An up and down jumper fest (for better or worse). It's all about spacing.

Sometimes, it takes time for the tactics to catch up with battlefield conditions. I think we are seeing that evolution beginning to bear fruit.

Maybe I am brain damaged (it is possible) but I recall people with their back to the basket. That is now the exception, not the rule. Bigs are so ineffective in the post, we use Tayshaun or our guards to post up, and it's not just us. Other teams too.

The game has changed, everything changes. The Pistons couldn't get it done, like LeBron can't get it done, like the Riley Heat and Knicks couldn't get it done, because when you play the knock'em down drag'em out game, whoever can get shots they can make, will win, There has never been a 1-0 NBA game. The team that scores the most, not the least, is always the winner.
  18. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

Outstanding post.