Jonas Jerebko vs. Amir Johnson

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by roscoe36, Dec 7, 2009.

?

Jonas Jerebko vs. Amir Johnson

Poll closed Mar 7, 2010.
  1. Amir Johnson

6.3%
  2. Jonas Jerebko

84.8%
  3. Too close to call / undecided

5.1%
  4. Don Reid

3.8%
  1. Brap

Brap Starter

I like both these guys. I relate to Amir as a guy who, like JJ, plays the game instinctively. But I think JJ has more BB intelligence, and he's already turned into a much better offensive player than Amir. Athletically, they're both kind of freaks in a way - Amir's the higher leaper, but JJ's agility is off the charts.

I doubt there's a GM anywhere who would take Amir over JJ, but two or three seasons ago, Amir was a guy who seemed to have big potential. While he's a good role player in this league, most of that potential seems like it's going unrealized.

While Amir is still young, I doubt he'll get an opportunity to be more than what he is now - a role player.
  2. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

What is the age difference and professional experience difference in these guys. I think at this point that JJ still is older and has more professional experience then Amir?
  3. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

It looks like Jerebko wins this poll.
  4. max

max All-Star

Nothing like NBA experience though.
  5. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Don Reid was keeping it competitive for a while there.
  6. coynejeremy

Amir Johnson/Jonas Jerebko
    Minutes: 34/17
    FG: 10-12/2-5
    3PT: 0-0/0-1
    FT: 6-7/0-0
    PTS: 26/4
    REB: 2/2
    AST: 4/0
    STL: 0/2
    BLK: 1/0
    TO: 1/0
    PF: 4/2
    +/-: +25/-1

To be fair, AJ played exactly twice as many minutes as JJ played. Offensively, Amir destroyed Jonas. In rebounding, they both vastly underachieved. Hmmmm......:twitch:
  7. Murph

Murph First Round Draft Pick

Would anyone like to re-vote, after last night's game?
  8. BillLaimbeer

One game does not a career make.

Rookie Years:

Amir: 20 points, 4 rebounds, 0 steals, 3 assists, 2 blocks
    Jonas: 729 points, 465 rebounds, 76 steals, 57 assists, 29 blocks
  9. Brap

Brap Starter

I've always thought Amir had great ability. At age 23, he's still young enough to achieve a lot more out of his potential. Last night he went up against us - a team that is pretty lousy defensively and which has exactly one big man who has any idea how to play D. We're usually gawd-awful defending the paint, especially against teams who shoot the 3's well -- we end up scrambling to help inside and teams destroy us with wide open shots game in game out, since our guys are too slow in their rotations and even if they aren't, short guys like Bynum and Ben Gordon simply can't bother shots when they do scramble back to try to contest.

Amir took advantage of that. But to his credit, he's excellent converting plays around the rim, and he's a sensational athlete. I like his game.

If I got to choose between Amir and JJ, I think I'd pick JJ, since I think he's going to develop his offensive game better than Amir has, and since I think he'll do everything Amir can do once JJ gets stronger. The truth is, though, that if JJ becomes the player I think he will, I'd have liked both those guys on our team.

It will be interesting to evaluate in 2 or 3 seasons, which of the following guys: Amir, Afflalo, JJ, Daye and Summers, turns out to be the best pros. (BTW, every time I find myself pining over the loss of Afflalo - that kid can really play - I remind myself that I'd rather see Daye play SG, and I think he's got the highest upside of all those 5 guys).
  10. Murph

I wonder what Jerebko's rookie year was like for Marbo Basket, in Sweden.
  11. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

Amir for all the points he got last night off his movement, (zero points off plays run for him.... so impressive yet again not depending on your way of looking at it) had 2 rebounds and 4 fouls. two guards had more rebounds them him last night.

It was commented on last year that he didn't get offensive or defensive plays... He is great at playing in a mad happy system that the raptors play but I don't think he would in alot of other systems. I'm happy with JJ going forward.

The one that got away in my view was AA, and I think we probably lost him the night that Rip was resigned. Joe was stand up and gave the kid a chance to find a place this year. I'd be happy with a 4 guard set of Stuckey, Bynum, Gordon and AA going forward.
  12. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Amir is a good player. He's just not a great player. We already know that.

JJ is a good player. He might be a great player. We don't know that yet.

I don't take much away from head to head matchups. Last night, the Raps needed to win, and the Pistons needed to lose.

I like Gordon over Afflalo, I don't like Rip over Afflalo.

This is less about who is good or not, and more about Dumars making some really questionable decisions the last few years.
  13. BillLaimbeer

2005-06 (Boras/Marbo Basket): Averaged 20.0 points, 11.6 rebounds and 2.6 blocks with Boras/Marbo Basket in the Swedish League

NBA.com : Jonas Jerebko Bio Page
  14. coynejeremy

What were his per-6.5-minute stats?
  15. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

Amir has been impressing me with Toronto, it's a shame we never got to see him play like this with Detroit. But as far as comparing him to JJ, Amir seems like a poor man's Al Jefferson, and JJ seems like a poor man's Kevin Love. The difference being AJ will never be as good as AJ, but JJ just might get near Kevin Love's level.
  16. pass99

pass99 Team Captain Forum Donor

Amir looked good. His body is filling-out and their is more softness around the rim. I don't still see the little things: fake moves, good footwork, no moves (up close) around the basket and the growth of a new left hand.

JJ, on the other hand, has learning potential for all of the above. And his has shown glimpses of having some nice maneuvers profiling each. He doesn't have the quickness motor that Amir has, but the more a team's system slows down and it is late in the game, the more valuable JJ becomes. It's those pesky details.
  17. Murph

Not to nit-pick, but wasn't his rookie year 04-05?
  18. coynejeremy

19. BillLaimbeer

LOL. Just concede this one. :pound::pound::pound::pound:

You should have known the answer before you asked the question.:pound::pound::pound::pound:
  20. Murph

Actually, on the link YOU provided, it says, "Began his pro career playing in the Swedish League from 2004-06"

That would lead me to believe his rookie year was 04-05. I was wondering what his stats were his rookie year...since YOU brought it up.

But more to the point, as I'm sure you are aware, it's ridiculous to compare JJ rookie year in the NBA when he was 22, to Amir's rookie year in the NBA when he was 18.

But keep on dancing.