Jonas Jerebko vs. Amir Johnson

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by roscoe36, Dec 7, 2009.

?

Jonas Jerebko vs. Amir Johnson

Poll closed Mar 7, 2010.
  1. Amir Johnson

6.3%
  2. Jonas Jerebko

84.8%
  3. Too close to call / undecided

5.1%
  4. Don Reid

3.8%
  1. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

He Dre...What about us Polish / German Guys...:eyebrows: :eyebrows: :eyebrows: :)

2. Nemo

Like with predicting...Sometimes I vote for the underdog.

3. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

and like with your predictions....you're often wrong. :pound::pound::pound::pound::pound:

4. Nemo

Thanks...:pound: :) :pound: :) :pound:

5. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Amir Johnson's fouls per minute go down when he is played a lot of minutes on a regular basis.

For all his fouls, check out how many times Amir actually fouled out of a game for us. (The fact is, his coaches mostly did not play him, or chose not to play him regardless of the foul count.) Toronto is making the same mistake with Amir, playing him sporadically, which is the worst way to play him. Curry had it right to start last season. Amir should start, and stay in the game until he fouls out, or plays his allotted minutes. (and again, I base this on actual results. Yes, we did play Amir extensively for stretches, and the result was always that Amir's play steadied and the fouling problem went away for the greatest part.)

6. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Anyone remember the Toronto game this year? Amir came in, and Toronto went on an 18-2 run. Amir detractors certainly don't like to mention this. Even I avoided mentioning it in my game report.

Here is the question: If Toronto had JJ, would we have quit being able to score all the sudden when JJ entered the game against us? Would JJ have been able to affect the game like that, showing up repeatedly where ever the ball was making it impossible to shoot the ball?

Now, I do like JJ. And I also know that after the vets return, it could be very possible that I will be the very last person here defending the guy, while most will be saying whatever they can think of to justify Tay and Rip getting all the minutes. Pretty much the pattern around here.

7. SonicD 43

SonicD 43 First Round Draft Pick

I would just like to point out that the Raptors are 1-7 when Amir plays 20+ minutes. When he plays less than 20 they are 8-6. Obviously the Raptors aren't great, but they are a lot worse when they have to play Amir. Now I am sure there are other things that factor into this like there good bigs being in foul trouble, but it does seem like the less they play Amir the better they do. Which to me means the coach shouldn't be worrying about trying to find long stretches for Amir to be playing in. He actually needs to find a way to play him less.

8. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

That was listed under "PF". They all foul a lot. Jonas can last about 45 minutes before fouling out. Amir fouls out in less than that. And Don Reid at that age was even worse.

9. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Sample size for his career is 440 FGA, which is significant. TS% is over .600. The reason is simply that he gets garbage points and doesn't shoot the ball much from outside the paint. It's not a small sample size issue.

10. brofmfa

brofmfa Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Don't fell like to make any comparision because JJ has been blessed to joint the team at right time while AJ's was at the other end with wrong coaches. I love the dude for his attitude on court.

11. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Somebody that was really doing this would very quickly make a name for himself in the NBA. From how little he is being played, it's clear that Amir has not done so. Good players force themselves into the rotation. The cream always rises to the top. New talent is discovered every year.

I wasn't talking about Amir. But his stats don't lend themselves well for comparison, as you point out. It's like apples and Swedish meatballs. :MusicBigGrin:

12. max

max All-Star

I like this comparison. Also important to realize that sometimes you have to get rid of the old projects in order to start new ones. How long do you give them? Three years was enough for most of us.

And to think that JJ was all the way in the middle of the 2nd round. When was he drafted anyway, I can't recall.

You need surprises like JJ in order to rebuild. Thought we may have that in Amir at one time, but hey that did not happen. We actually have 2 of them now if you count the undrafted Will Bynum. May not be winning too many games right now but at least there is that feeling that we are heading in the right direction.

13. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

I guarantee you, that just like Amir, people will use the fact that JJ was a late pick to justify him not playing, if given half a chance to do so. I certainly hope that he stays in the rotation, but with a rookie coach, I can't see how the guy will figure out that JJ should get minutes after Rip and Tay return to action. And PS, to Bill L, remember when I said Atkins was going to get those minutes - and you said how did I figure Atkins would get major minutes. Its just observing how rookie a coach we got. Simple. We can only hope he learns, but there really is no evidence that he has learned anything thus far. Sure, guys like Daye and JJ have gotten ops to play, but this was forced on the guy to a large extent. Lets see what happens when he is not forced to play them.

While on the subject, since Summers had that series of 4th quarter appearances where he led solid comeback attempts, and then nailed 4 triples in one game - he has mysteriously disapeared from the rotation completely. And Wilcox has had some good outings of late - followed by not a sniff of action. Don't think for a second that all this good stuff we are seeing from Daye or JJ will trump over vets having to get their minutes.

14. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Look at Amir's minutes, game by game. Maybe you can understand the problem. Amir does not do well getting minutes sporadically.

We have another guy who also does poorly playing sporadically, and getting shots sporadically. Jason Maxiell. We just won 3 of 4, with Jason starting for us. Jason also does poorly when overplayed. His game is optimized by a steady diet of about 20 minutes or so per game, 24 tops. Now, a coach could be ignorant, and start playing Jason light minutes, and then use the excuse that he is not playing well to even further reduce his minutes. Or he could be ignorant the other way, and overplay Jason, and then use the excuse of him doing poorly to bench him. Been done, both ways. Or the coach could be wise and play Jason to his optimum, and win games. Not for one second do I trust this rookie coach not to take Jason out of the rotation yet this year, simply for not understanding his player. Sure would be nice though if he surprised me.

15. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Jonas has a pretty nice court demeanor. He looks like he is concentrating hard and has a positive energy.

Also looks like he would be a very good player in a fast break game. He's usually the first one down the floor.

16. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

While supporting rookies is a bad bet, I like JJ and Daye. I never thought much of our recent trio of youth: Amir, Afflalo and our current Maxiel. JJ and Daye know how to shoot for one. The other three came into the league with no shot. Really, Stuckey came in without a shot also. And that has been a problem for Stuckey inhibiting his potency on offense. It is nice to see Piston rookies who can shoot the ball. Not a bad skill to have in the NBA.

17. max

max All-Star

Blaha was saying on one of the broadcasts that JJ will move over to PF/C when Tay gets back. Right now I would say JJ should be 3rd on the depth chart behind Ben and CV but he may even start. I think he should be ahead of Maxiel and Kwame. Even if he is 4th behind Maxiel, he will still play.

Thing is I want Prince and Rip to return. Look at the standings - Pistons are 8-12.

18. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Afflalo doesn't get enough credit for his shot.

He has started in 13 out of 20 games this year and he is absolutely on fire.

3P% = .463
    FG% = .515
    eFG% = .588
    TS% = .610

He's a 24 year old that you can put on Kobe Bryant if you have to.

Should NOT have given him away and spent $11M to replace him.

19. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

He hit three tres in the first half of the game vs the Sixers tonight

20. jayborne

jayborne Bench Warmer

You can put him on Kobe, and get destroyed. Afflalo is a replaceable asset. Nothing about his game really suggests he isn't like the other defensive SGs in the league who can hit spot up jumpers. I never saw why people liked him so much.

As for Jerekbo and Johnson...I'll take the one for now that knows how to stay on the floor. I always said Amir would be fine if he stopped fouling. He hasn't stopped fouling yet.