JORTS!!!

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Slippy, Dec 17, 2013.

1. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

I love this guy! We knows where to be and holds his ground very well. Of all the end of the bench guys we've rooted for (Slava, etc.) this dude is consistent if unspectacular. I dig that Cheeks is playing him and he's contributing.
    The Panda and linwood like this.
  2. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Dude rocks! I think he's a much better pick and roll defender than Monroe. With his ability to shoot the rock from deep I wouldn't mind seeing him get a few more minutes as our stretch big.
    linwood likes this.
  3. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

He was supposed to be the 15th man, wasn't he?

Wasn't it rumored that the Pistona would sign the gay Collins brother with his spot?

Sent from the new and improved Tapatalk 2.
  4. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Yeah, you don't sign a back up body when you're not a contender IMO. Maybe as well get a guy who may be a role player in the future if he pans out.
  5. J-Train

J-Train Bench Warmer Forum Donor

He's very good at understanding where his teammates want to be and then being in a spot that compliments that, regardless of which teammates he is on the floor with. In short, he gets out of their way and fills in where needed.

He has short arms and limited athleticism, but he reads rebounds well. He knows which side of the rim that the ball is coming off. Offensively, he very good at reading where the defensive big man help will come from. As soon as the defensive big rotates, he takes up their space. Always hustles and never gives up on a play.

He sets solid picks, and rolls to his preferred spot. Text book release. He can stretch the floor when Smith and Moose want to work down low, AND Stuckey wants to get into the paint.

I originally believed that this team should have a four man big rotation, with either JJ or Mitchell receiving 8-12 minutes at the PF spot. Jorts' play has changed my mind. He deserves those minutes.
    Slippy, linwood, del and 1 other person like this.
  6. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

I like Jorts so far. But Mitchell, and JJ still need a shot at playing time. JJ at small forward.
    KGREG likes this.
  7. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

I think Mitchell will end up trade bait (like Middleton) that brings us an upgrade over Kyle Singler.....like Middleton. OK.....that just gave me a headache.
    J-Train likes this.
  8. J-Train

I really like Mitchell, man. He probably needs a year or so, but I wouldn't enjoy watching him go. Mitchell's problem is that there are AT LEAST five, maybe six, guys who deserve playing time in front of him. His upside is fantastic though.

For the record, you can't do much better than Singler for 15-20 minutes a game.
  9. J-Train

There can be a legitimate debate about Middleton vs. Singler. Middleton has the better upside. Kyle is the better all around player right now.
  10. J-Train

With JJ, it's always a match up situation. I personally, like him at the PF spot, IF Dre is in the game. JJ can be pushed off of the defensive glass or be backed down by bigger players. If Dre's in the game, that's not a problem. If Dre's in the game, then it's to our advantage. Because Dre can handle the glass and protect the rim, and JJ can run down long boards. This is in addition to his shooting, hustle, and running the floor.

If the other team wants to go with a 6'8+ SF, then JJ isn't a bad option at SF. I just don't want him checking swing men.

JJ is a very nice 10th-11th man. A situational player.
    basketbills and TaS like this.
  11. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

In relatively small samples this year, JJ has been a better SF. His defense has been good statistically overall, but better at SF and better offense too. At SF, he's shooting with an eFG of .692 and giving up .375 to his man.

Last year, he was similarly worse at the PF position. Last year, the big difference was that his man would go off (on average) with a 22.9 PER against.

He's a tweener to me, so he does make sense as a reserve that can just be inserted when we feel like it's a favorable matchup for him at either position. He's a pretty good shooter for a PF and he's pretty physical for a SF.

And maybe that selective insertion by the coach is the reason for his good stats this year.
    J-Train and basketbills like this.