Josh Smith for Luol Deng?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Mark V, Jan 2, 2014.

1. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I wonder how many of these Pope/Singler splits are with Drummond/Monroe as the 2 out of 3?

It doesn't seem possible, but I have wondered if it would have been better to go the 3 and D route for a couple of guys instead of signing Smith.

Maybe that's what they'll turn Monroe into in the end though I was hoping for something more dramatic.
  2. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

I think that it is pretty clear by now that Monroe does not want to sign another contract in Detroit.
  3. Ernie the Slow Adult

What makes you say that, just because he hasn't already signed?
  4. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

I was thinking last night....we assume it's a SF that we need, when in actuality we just need another perimeter player. This team plays well when Stuckey is healthy and contributing, right now the only GUARD on our team that can play the position well is Jennings. We need Stuckey to get healthy and it wouldn't be a bad idea to explore trade possibilities where ship Stuckey off instead of Monroe.
  5. The Panda

A combination of that and body language. His extension should already have been locked up, which means he/his agent made the choice to go to RFA.

Stuckey is the only reason we have been able to keep close when we trot out our awful bench. We need a perimeter player, and we need to give up one of our rotation bigs to get it. This team will be better with Smith at the 4. That's why everyone is looking for a 3.
  6. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Name 1 team that needs Greg Monroe and would part with something worthwhile in order to obtain him.
  7. hitafreethrow

hitafreethrow Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

LA Lakers, and Pau Gasol.
  8. Ernie the Slow Adult

I agree. If there is a well positioned good team that can sign him then it would make some sense. Otherwise I pity the team signing him for 12-15 per year and 4 years. See Smith, Josh.
  9. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

If he was in this draft, where would he get drafted? Pick a team after that draft slot.
  10. The Panda

Virtually every team in the league.

Notable exception - Miami, OKC, SAS

I reckon we could get back our draft pick this year from the Bobcats and maybe Zeller.
  11. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

The draft spot would only cost about $3M/yr. If you look through the list of teams in the NBA teams either already have a player playing that spot that they have already committed money to, or they are in a rebuild mode and don't want to give up a piece for the pleasure of signing Monroe to a $10M+/yr contract. I think we'll have to just let the guy walk, because the thing that has become clear this season is that Greg Monroe is NOT a PF, he's a 2nd tier Center.
  12. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Well Joe was sitting on his hands and it looks like we lost a chance on getting Deng...

Need the CAP experts to weigh in and tell me we could have shipped JJ and CV to the Cavs for Bynum and a second round pick and then waived Bynum to save cap space......for Deng or even Melo this summer?? Or am I being realistic here? It's obvious the Bulls are ready to tank the season for one of those top 5 lottery picks.....

Andrew Bynum and Draft Picks Traded to Chicago Bulls for Luol Deng | Bleacher Report
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
    roscoe36 likes this.
  13. The Panda

Luol Deng netted the Bulls a possible lottery pick (SAC) and two 2nd rounders + instant savings of about $6m to pull them under the tax line. I'm guessing part of the thinking is to avoid the repeater tax, so the Bulls will remain stagnant next year as well IMO.

JJ+CV would have only saved $1m in the short term, and they would have been stuck over the tax line meaning possible repeater tax if they stay up next year.

Unfortunately for us, this means that Deng's bird rights went with him to the Cavaliers, who can now offer him that sweet 5 year deal which everyone knows he will take and they will offer.
    TaS likes this.
  14. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

Deng looks like a great fit for that young Cavs team. Our closeted Cavs fan from Denver is popping the champagne.
  15. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

Thoughts on this trade and how it affects the Pistons...

1) While it was mostly a cap space move, by trading away Deng for picks, Chicago made their team worse. They are officially mailing in this year, trying to get out of the playoffs, which means Detroit has more competitors for that top 8 spot. Incidentally, has anyone here ever seen a stranger NBA regular season? This lottery system isn't working and is turning the league into a joke.

2) Cleveland parlayed an Andrew Bynum free agent signing into a Luol Deng rental and three picks. Nice little offseason pickup for them, but this makes their team better and may push them into the playoffs. That would help offset Chicago's tanking.

3) Andrew Bynum should not come to the Pistons. Not that this is a realistic option, but I would go ape-nuts if Joe amnesties CV to sign him (How would Josh Smith look at the 2?)

4) I doubt Deng resigns with Cleveland next year, as Cleveland will be looking to make a strong, strong bid for Lebron. Also, it's Cleveland, which is one of the few worse places to live than the Detroit area. With Deng in play as a free agent, Detroit could look at him as an option. He's declined in recent years in terms of his three-point shooting, but he would actually play that small forward role that they badly need.

5) If the Pistons were to sign Deng, he'd obviously start at the 3, meaning that one of Smith, Drummond, or Monroe has to go to the bench or get traded. My preference would clearly be to trade him, but the fun part about it is that the Pistons wouldn't need to trade him for any particular position.

6) A lineup of Jennings/KCP/Deng/Smith/Drummond would be mostly a strong defensive lineup, ("One of these things is not like the other") but their bench wouldn't be so hot. They'd need some more size off the pine, possibly with an MLE or something.

7) It doesn't fix their coaching problem, but that's a different issue.

If Cleveland moves past Detroit and Chicago still manages to sneak into the playoffs ahead of the Pistons, this could be a huge win for Detroit. Big ifs, though.
  16. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

This is CV's last year with the Pistons. They cannot amnesty him anymore.
  17. Ernie the Slow Adult

They said Robert Fulton couldn't get the steamboat to work either!
  18. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

That was when the clueless coach was playing Fulton at PF. Everyone knew he was a SF.
    Ernie the Slow Adult likes this.
  19. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

An under appreciated Beach Boys tune.

linwood likes this.
  20. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Why would that be good?

Apparently Deng feels that he deserves more money than Josh Smith:

Bulls trade Luol Deng for Andrew Bynum, draft picks - chicagotribune.com