1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Josh Smith or Greg Monroe?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by webz, Jul 17, 2014.

?

What is your preference?

1. Keep Smith (3yrs/$14m)

46.4%
  2. Keep Monroe (approx 5yrs/$12m)

53.6%
  1. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

maybe it's because English is not my mother tongue, but what does he mean by this?

2. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I think he is telling people not to believe all of the rumors that are being tossed around.

3. TWOTIMESRALPHI

ok, than I did get it right. I thought he was trying to be philosophical in a very, very subtle manner.

roscoe36, kpaav and BillLaimbeer like this.
  4. kpaav

kpaav Team Captain Forum Donor

Me too! At first I though it was a statement how this process has taught him about himself - patience, strength, resilience etc. Then I figured it was just another "I don't know anything" plea. Does anyone really think he is completely in the dark? His free agency status should be one of the most important and pressing things in his life and if I was him I would be knee deep in information. Crazy how some of these guys just "see what happens."

5. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

He is an American basketball player, so lolololol

6. Susie914

Susie914 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

He is starting to get on my friggin' nerves........

max and kpaav like this.
  7. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

I heard that an agents job is to go and get an offer sheet for his client as RFA's so the price can be set. Faulk wasn't able to get Moose an offer sheet. His poor defense and inability to make a shot (consistently) outside of the paint are costing him dearly right now.

kpaav likes this.
  8. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Or Monroe decided he wanted to get out of Detroit at all costs. Signing an offer sheet would give the Pistions the ability to match and lock him up long-term.

9. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Whatever the case may be, it seems pretty freakling obvious that Greg Monroe has no interest in working with the Pistons to hammer out a deal.
    Faulk brought a 5 year/$60mil (and I believe a 4 year/54 mil offer) deal to his client and that offer was rejected. In my mind, that offer was MORE than fare for a player that isn't an all-star and probably won't ever be one.

Ron Van Jeremy and Bowser need to figure out a way to get Monroe out of town and get value in return.
    I have no interest in listening to Greg Monroe whine all season. The Pistons need to start assembling a TEAM of guys who can compete in 2-3 years. Monroe has indicated that he doesn't want to be a part of the Pistons future.
    For that reason, I don't want to see him be a part of the Pistons' present.

pass99 and max like this.
  10. max

max All-Star

I agree, cant have him in the locker room next year. Once he signs he can reject any trades so they need to ask him where he wants to go and work out a trade. Just sit him out and work out a trade.

11. TWOTIMESRALPHI

after all, this whole sage might turn out to be a blessing in disguise. While I really like Monroe and his ability to pass, there was one PF too many and now that surely seems to be him. So the coach should know whom to start and whom to leave on the bench for the time being. I am really looking forward to the Josh Smith/Drummond combo underneath the basket along with a real 3 and, most of all, 3 points threats.

12. kpaav

kpaav Team Captain Forum Donor

At this point, I would be fine going back in time and watching last season again. At least there would be games to watch and tings to talk about. Heck, I'd be down for some teal.

Walter likes this.
  13. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

After 14 years, we are finally not bidding against ourselves. It seems that neither the sports media nor the fans are used to dealing with that.

It is entertaining to read about all of this. I hope the whole issue doesn't get finalized until the very last minute. It feels like the Pistons got more media coverage over the past month than they did over the past 2 years. 10 pages of replies on this thread alone. I love it.

But, before we declare Moose to be a disrespectful, ungrateful, whining locker room cancer that needs to be flushed down the toilet in the most expedient manner possible, let's remember one thing: all the rumors we've read so far, all of them, have been just that: rumors. We still don't know exactly what the kid is thinking. We still don't know exactly what Faulk and the Pistons management discussed. We still don't know what other teams have discussed with Faulk. All we have to go on is a bunch of NBA bloggers that are trying to read between the lines of what they heard from each other.

In the murky slough that is the NBA summer, new villains are born, vines of hearsay grow thick and masquerade as trees of truth, and the townsfolk fall under the spell of the filthy aroma of decomposing opinions. With the new season, comes the rain and washes it all away. We can then all pretend it never happened - until next summer.

brofmfa, del, The Panda and 7 others like this.
  14. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Excellent post Walt!

In Monroe's defense, HE'S not the one that deemed himself one of the Pistons' 'cornerstones of the future' and THEN went out and signed Josh Smith.
    Monroe has every right to ask his agent to get him out of Detroit. Three's a crowd!

My frustration comes from the fact that the Pistons (old regime) put us in this position. What the hell was Joe thinking adding Josh to the mix?
    Now that being said: If Greg Monroe could add 5 additional feet of range to his jumper and 4 more inches to his vertical leap; we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

Walter and roscoe36 like this.
  15. max

max All-Star

He is just choosing to fullfill the terms of his contract. But if he does not want to be here then find out where he does want to go and friggen trade him there. Otherwise you risk a disguntled player and lose him for nothing next year.

BallDon'tLie likes this.
  16. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

It's in everyone's best interest for Monroe to sign a new contract. It makes him
    A) Earn more money
    B) Easier to trade

There is literally no upside to accepting the qualifying offer. It is not a good negotiating position for either team. It's effectively moving your king left and right for a stalemate.

roscoe36 likes this.
  17. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

He was thinking that the NBA is now positionless. Unfortunately that theory only works if everyone can shoot.

And run a triangle offense.

And have a Kobe/Jordan type of player.

18. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

It's just business.

roscoe36 likes this.
  19. max

max All-Star

I love this post.

20. del

del Team Captain Forum Donor

My take on the Monroe saga is this:
    - SVG would like Moose to stay, but if Moose wants max, SVG wants him long term
    - Moose wants max, but after 5 losing seasons and 5 crap coaches, doesn't want to be tied into Detroit long term if it doesn't work out
    - Hence no acceptance of those offers without a S&T
    - Also why he is considering the QO because then he can feel out free agency next year or get back on board with the Pistons if we are on an upswing

All conjecture of course and the man himself has said none of those long term offers were made. Who know? Maybe SVG heard the apathy from the market and has been lowballing him in hope he returns. SVG may just not rate him either.

BillLaimbeer and roscoe36 like this.