Breaking News Josh Smith Signs With Pistons...

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by markie8002000, Jul 6, 2013.

1. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

At a certain point, a team can have a bad defender on the floor and cover for him. I'd argue that with Smith and Drummond at SF and C, we could potentially cover for CV on defense. On offense, he'd be stretching the floor as he does.

Daye/Villaneuva/Drummond worked last season and that was only 1 defender carrying 2 screen doors.
    The Panda likes this.
  2. S.J.

S.J. All-Star Forum Donor

BoT can't stretch nothing man!! he hits an ocasional 3, nothing more" 6.8 points average! Let's get real here, please guys! You can't play Villanueva more than 7 minutes per game.
    BallDon'tLie likes this.
  3. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Yes, this is good news. I was worried that Joe would get a non-impact guy like Iggy. Most of the free agents this year are simply just a half-step up, just a tease.

Of course, the big three will play together. With Smith and Andre you get incredible athleticism and combined with Monroe great length. This front court could develop into the most dominant in the league. Sure there are weaknesses. Until Monroe nails that jumper and Andre develops some set offense, there is not a lot of offensive range with the big three. Josh is just an ok shooter. So no championship next year. But watch out! With Josh, the Pistons should get 5-6 good years from him. What front line will match the Pistons two years from now? Indiana? Their power forward, West, is already 32 or 33. No way. Josh came because he can put one (Monroe) and one (Drummond) together and get eleven.

The other guy out there that is interesting is Rondo. I have never liked a point who can't shoot well but his overall game would really push the young Piston development.
    linwood likes this.
  4. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
  5. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
  6. Pistons0809

Pistons0809 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

It's understandable that those outside of Piston Nation would be the quickest to judge us and be the most outspoken of the naysayers...

With that being said, it is critical that Piston Nation continues to stick together. As we move closer to exiting a dark age of famine and pestilence, ravenously jealous and insane writers are working harder than ever to try to break us apart and send us away for good. To quote Greg Monroe, and as a message to the naysayers: "You will all learn."

GO PISTONS!
    linwood, basketbills and KGREG like this.
  7. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

What bothers me about this signing is that I like Drummond/Smith/C Garbage better than I like Drummond/Monroe/Smith.

I don't want to have any more of those awkward games where Monroe (really feeling like the odd man out) rides the bench for the entire 4th Q with his hand on his chin while the team rallies without him.
  8. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

You rag on Charlie non-stop for years, and now you're pining for him in the lineup over Josh Smith?

You're killing me Ernie.
    mikhail1973 and linwood like this.
  9. Mark V

Mark V Bench Warmer

Just an interesting trade that popped up while I was playing 2K13 lol:

If the Pacers offered you Paul George for Josh Smith and a future pick would you do it? o_O
  10. Ernie the Slow Adult

I'm pining for him over Monroe. I like Chuckles with Smith because they can swap positions and let each other do what they do best. Monroe could play C with them but it wouldn't be as good and then you have Drummond sitting.

I hope the Pistons will be able to play their best players together.
  11. Ernie the Slow Adult

Yes.
  12. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I think you're overthinking this man.

We have added serious NBA talent to the roster today. Coach will figure out a way to get people minutes. I mean, it's not like either of us thinks the Pistons have too many good players now, right?

GLASS FULL MODE. NOT HALF FULL. FULL.
    Pistons0809, lapiston and coynejeremy like this.
  13. kpaav

kpaav Team Captain Forum Donor

If Houston got JSmoove people would be lauding it as a signong of the decade. I understand the skeptasism, but the complete HATE is crazy. The fit is not great. Obvious. But there are soooo many bad teams out there the naysayers are powerful. This team rivals the Knicks which were the darliungs
    coynejeremy likes this.
  14. brofmfa

brofmfa Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Where is Marvin Johnson playing ?
  15. Menace

Menace Bench Warmer

Some ppl are never happy cause some ppl think Free Agents are waiting in line to join the Detroit Pistons.
    Some ppl are never happy cause some ppl think elite coaches are waiting in line to join the Detroit Pistons.
    Some ppl are never happy cause some ppl think by just watching matches they know players skills better then the coaches/trainers in the Detroit organisation who spent 24/7 time with the players
    Some ppl are just never happy.

Some ppl just need to learn to enjoy the moment......
    S.J., Susie914, coynejeremy and 2 others like this.
  16. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

The popular narrative for the last 2 plus years is Joe is stupid and either he makes the wrong move or gets lucky.... So obviously this signing is the wrong move.

Joe trades Stuckey and CV to Miami for James (who signs an extension at the same time) and the same people would find reasons why it was a stupid move.
  17. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

Exactly, at the same time people forget some important real life thingies like "incetives" - weather, endorsement deals, celebrities, family preferences. Face it, Detroit is practically the last place for beforementioned "bonuses". In short, Dumars has to overpay and "jump on the gun". In prolonged bidding wars Dumars has no chance anyway.

EVERYWHERE fans simply assume "just pick up X and Y players " as teams are consentraton camps or something and players statistics without real life.

Due to lack of "incetives" I did not believe in signing Josh-smith- caliber players. And "overpayment" is probably less than a million per year. His last year was 13, 4 or similar numbers and you simply cannot offer less than his last year for peaking player.
    roscoe36 likes this.
  18. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

I love the signing, but right now the reality is that it's not a great fit. If you put Smith, Monroe, and Drummond on the floor together you've minimzed the effectiveness with which Smith can play in the post, which is where he is inarguably at his strongest offensively.

At this point, I think I would actually plan on bringing Monroe off the bench. I know, it sounds wrong, but San Antonio did it with Ginobli and it worked out fine for them. Monroe is a very solid offensive player but limited defensively, and the Pistons would be better served not having Smith and him play together because they overlap so much offensively.

If they do that, then they can look at trading for a shooting-deficient player like Rondo and not destroying their team offensively. Of course, Monroe becomes their best trade chip (he still is), but it could still work if they managed to get Rondo.
    basketbills likes this.
  19. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

If it comes down to coming up with the right combinations, it sounds like there is much more pressure on Mo than J-Smoove. I like the move because it shores up the D, but enough of the articles posted by Mik talk about how J-Smoove never met an outside shot he didn't like and that he needs to work harder to post up. Hmmm ... sounds like Sheed.

I like those 9 rebounds per game.
  20. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

2.6 3 ball attempts a game last year... before that he was around 2 a game, is anybody here going to really cry about 1 3 point shot a half? It looks like he went a bit crazy in the playoffs this last year, but outside of that.... come on writers lets not make a mountain out of a tiny ant hill.

Wallace for instance shot between 4-5 3 ball's during every year but his first in Detroit.
    KGREG likes this.