Breaking News Josh Smith Signs With Pistons...

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by markie8002000, Jul 6, 2013.

1. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I'm not counting on Olajuwon to teach him all that much. How long does Drummond have with him? The list of guys working with him this summer seemed too long for Drummond to get an impactful amount of time. I'd love to be wrong.
  2. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

How about just signing him on as permanent coach?? He can make small contributions to strategy during game situations and work with all of the bigs during practice... I mean if we are considering Sheed for a coaching position and he doesn't take it, Joe and Mo should be able to snag another FA, even if he has already retired....
  3. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

How 'bout that jumper he took from the FT line yesterday where he purpously missed so he could go grab it off the backboard?
  4. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

And the free throws he intentionally missed when they were playing hack-a-Dre in order to lure the Nets into trying that in the regular season?
    linwood likes this.
  5. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

Didn't Olajuwon charge Dwight $250k for a weekend of practice or something?
  6. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

I agree. Last year Drum would miss dunks because he jumped too far. He's way more in control this time around and his timing is loads better but his shot...no improvement, post work...no improvement. You don't need Hakeem Olajuwon to teach you high school level post moves. I mean all you need to do is google Kareem Abdul Jabbar and mimic the sky hook. If you can't manage a pivot, do what JJ and prince do and do a running hook in the lane. Don't do this weak fade away, off balance hooky thing.
  7. detteam

detteam All-Star

8. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Too many haters are jealous of the Pistons and are worried, with the beginning of the No Flip Flops era, we are on our way back.
    Pistons0809 and linwood like this.
  9. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

It was well warranted, C.J. He screwed up big time. Look at how the team played. What he has been doing lately doesn't change that.

But NOW he seems to be deserving of a great deal of praise for his latest moves.
  10. Slippy

For all the talk about Josh Smith being the worst FA signing of the year, no one has pointed out the obvious: No one has gone out and signed Maxiell, Maggette, Bynum, or even Austin Daye. I'll take Josh Smith over all those guys. PERIOD. People want to talk about how bad a fit that was? How about Maxiell? How did that work out?
    Darth Tater likes this.
  11. jayborne

jayborne Bench Warmer

PF was probably the one position the team didn't need, and the big FA acquisition is a player who has spent the majority of the last few seasons at PF. On those grounds, it's a bit disappointing. Especially if you bought-in early on the Monroe/Drummond front-court combination.

Josh Smith is a very talented basketball player. He's now the undisputed best player on the team which simultaneously makes it a quality signing and utterly terrifying. The goal of free agency is to improve your team, and the Pistons did that. They went out and got the 3rd best free agent in a class that featured two fully fledged superstars. He's an phenomenal defender with versatility on par with guys like an Andre Iguodala or a LeBron James. He rebounds well and is one of the better passers at his position. He's an entertaining enough player to draw fans to the arena. But his decision making on offense can be incredibly frustrating. If you watched any Hawks games the past few years, or followed enough Hawks bloggers/fans on Twitter, you'd notice a trend. "JOSH, NOOOO!!" as Smith pulls up for an ill-advised 18 footer. It's similar to JR Smith and his 3's, except we know he can make them. Josh Smith has not proven to be an effective jump shooter in his 9 seasons in the league. Now Josh has the big contract and the knowledge that he's the man on the team. That typically doesn't improve shot selection.

In terms of his fit with the current iteration of the roster, it's not there. Josh Smith played SF less than 20% of the time he was on court last season (Don't have exact source, but I believe you can find this on Synergy). The Pistons have already stated they are going to play him a lot more there, when you will almost certainly run into spacing issues. Smith does his best work at the rim which creates an awkward fit offensively with Monroe and Drummond. When you think of the team for the long term, it's hard to imagine this front-court trio ever working (assuming Drummond pans out) unless Smith magically develops a jump shot. Spacing is important in today's NBA, especially from your SF. It's a big reason why guys like Kyle Korver can still command above mid-level money in their 30's. Just look at rosters around the league and the popularity of "3 and D" style SFs. The most unsettling thing about this signing is his incompatibility with the supposed young building blocks and two best returning players on this team.

The fit noise goes out the window if Greg Monroe is eventually flipped for perimeter help, but that could possibly mean giving up on the Monroe/Drummond combination too soon. It also puts a lot of pressure on Brandon Knight to be something other than mediocre. Spacing issues can be remedied by a PG who effectively stretches the defense, is a dual threat in the pick and roll, and can get the ball to his teammates in the spots they need to be effective. I'm not sure Knight is capable. Additional perimeter weapons also would help.

The signing could work. It's at least interesting enough to get me to watch more than 2 games this season. I just hope the end isn't as predictable as it looks.
    Slippy likes this.
  12. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

I've been unplugged all weekend. Back on the Internets, and this signing was in the news. The link immediately underneath was about Sheed signing on as an assistant coach. What a great way to start the week! Awesome! Awesome! Awesome!

To all the Piston fans who don't like, or question this signing, I say this: We just upgraded Jason Maxiell with Josh Smith!

To all the non-Piston fans who diss this signing, I say this: Y'all can suck it when we go on to win 50 games this season!

What a bright and glorious day to be a Piston fan!
  13. Nemo

Nemo Hall of Fame Forum Donor

I hope you're right. I'm taking the wait and see approach.
  14. max

max All-Star

I can see if you don't agree with it but to call it the worst FA of the year seems a bit dramatic.
  15. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Everything today is over-dramatized. People are criticizing the Smith signing based on the roster which isn't even totally set yet.
  16. Slippy

Didn't you read that Drummond is already a 9 time all star? How dare we take theoretical minutes from that guy!
    linwood likes this.
  17. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    Do we actually have people on the board criticizing?
  18. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Not here. PF.com is an oasis of sanity in a sea of crankery.
    detteam, Walter, mikhail1973 and 2 others like this.
  19. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    We do rock.
    raxrets likes this.
  20. max

max All-Star

Probably the same guys who loved the BG signing in 09.
    Darth Tater likes this.