Josh smith talks

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by armygirl, Jul 1, 2013.

1. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

Oh thank God. I've never heard anyone refer to Iguodala as Dre, so my bad.
  2. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

Yeah I took a sharp breath reading that.

I'm cool with the sign and trade although I don't know what they could possibly get back from us. I'm thinking Singler, Stuckey would probably be on the line. Drummond will be playing minutes from the bench. You don't give Smith more time at the 3 than the 4, thats not good basketball.

I somehow doubt we get both Iggy and Smith, but if we do, being in the playoffs becomes extremely likely.
  3. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

The thought that Tony Michell, Andre Drummond and Josh Smith could all be on the floor at the same time.......WOW!!!
    kpaav likes this.
  4. The Panda

If Mitchel is as athletic as you say, run the All-Size NBA team for extra grindey games.

Knight/Pope
    Mitchell
    Smith
    Monroe
    Drummond
  5. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Love the thought of ruining the entertainment value of basketball for the Nation again. That is what I think of when I think Detroit basketball. Bad Boys were hated. 2004 team was considered to play and ugly style. We can get uglier and turn bball into hockey again.
    roscoe36 and linwood like this.
  6. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

I was asking who would you like to see as a piston, Smith or Iggy all things being equal. I mentioned sign and trade because I had heard that Atlanta would like to get something in the deal by losing Smith to free agency ala (grant Hill) in which we received Wallace and that other guy. lOL. Sticky and jerebko would be good for starters.
  7. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

8. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

That would be a good new nickname for Stuckey actually. Joe has him pinned to the top of the roster as a favourite thread and is never going away until a new ball-breaking admin comes along and cleans things up.
    mikhail1973 likes this.
  9. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

If we can move Sticky that would be great.
    BillLaimbeer likes this.
  10. KP

KP First Round Draft Pick

What if sign and trade for Josh Smith included Greg Monroe? Are we still interested? It solves the "do we resign him and for how much $" question as well as the "can he play power forward" question. Maybe Smith is a better fit for the Pistons going forward?
  11. The Panda

He is more talented that Monroe, not necessarily a better player.

I would think we would get rid of Moose if we were getting smith.
  12. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

A scenario I've been turning over in my head which could have merit and one I'd be happy with is if we could land Rondo for Monroe. Then we add Smith. Bynum would be expendable. It fits with Joe's vision of becoming more athletic and better defensively (two of Moose's weaknesses). It also removes the worry of retaining Monroe down the track after we sign Smith to say 4 years/55m (and also having to play Smith at the 3). But it would mean Iggy is not a possibility. Next season's payroll would be close to 60m in this scenario. If we could trade CV for a 2nd rounder that would really help and we could then go and pick up a MLE-type player who can help us at the 3. I doubt Joe lets Stickey go for only a 2nd rounder.

Rondo would of course need to be re-signed after 2 years. Boston may try to force us to also take back one of their bad contracts (Lee - 3 yrs/16m or Bass - 2 yrs/13.5m) which could be a problem for next years FA class, but with Stuckey expiring we still have options for an impact player. Boston may also ask for English or Middleton. Let's say English. Say they force us to take back Lee.

PG - Rondo, Knight, Siva
    SG - Stuckey, Caldwell-Pope, Lee
    SF - FA-MLE, Singler, Middleton
    PF - Smith, Jerebko, Mitchell
    C - Drummond, Kravtsov, FA-3rd

If we can't ditch CV then we have another year of Singler at the 3. The picture still isn't complete for next season, but for 2014-15 we are GOOD TO GO!

Sticky and BoT both definitely gone and around 15m in cap space to spend on upgrading at SG/SF. But hopefully Kentavious has shown enough in his first season to cover the 2.
  13. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

If we trade pieces, I hope it isn't the core guys (Monroe, Drummond, Knight, Pope). When you give away talent in exchange for talent, the team is only getting marginally better. We need to ADD talent to what we have already. We were 29-53 last year. Marginal improvements will not get it done.
    Walter and coynejeremy like this.
  14. The Panda

Danny Ainge is a long time Stuckey fan. I think if we trade for Rondo, we will lose Stuckey and Knight. We will have to give up more picks as well. Monroe isn't on the board unless it is absolutely necessary, we are talking about a borderline all star here. But if that was the case, I would be ok with it. Rondo makes us a formidable team. Also, if Boston gets a player like Monroe, they are not giving us dirty contracts as well. If we had to take back CLee, its no longer a good trade, its just Boston ruining our team.

In this case, Rondo does make this team significantly better. In fact, ceteris paribus, he makes the Pistons a playoff team. He is also one of the very few people in the league that I would trade away a player like Monroe for. And his salary is extremely reasonable for a player of his calibre.
  15. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

A great thing about Monroe is that he can play PF and C, which leaves Smith alone in the PF spot and Drummond alone in the C spot. In neither scenario are we undersized.

Another great thing is that he allows us to potentially function without an elite offensive PG. He can be a point forward from the high post and teams have to respect his driving ability.

I would love to get Rondo too, but probably not in exchange for Moose. I'd rather roll with our bigs (assuming Smith included) and find a less optimal PG solution.

With Smith/Monroe/Drummond, we have 3 borderline all-star bigs with a C that is FT ability away from being the most impactful 2-way center in the league at the age of 20.

It's close though, I will admit.
  16. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

I mostly agree.
    Nemo likes this.
  17. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

You take a 29-53 team, trade away the leading scorer/rebounder/steal leader, then add Rondo, and the Pistons are a playoff team?
  18. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Rondo
    Stuckey
    Singler
    Villanueva
    Drummond

rocks the house!
  19. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

House made of Marshmellows........:)
  20. BillLaimbeer