Juan Dixon acquired for Brezec

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by ahb, Feb 21, 2008.

1. KP

KP First Round Draft Pick

Was concerned that we gave up our only bench big - but if Joe's got plans to pick up someone better than Brezic, then I'll reserve judgement.
  2. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

Hasn't played in Detroit. Probably won't play in Toronto either; Rasho's a much better player and you've still got the ongoing Bargnani experiment.

A few years ago he was a decent rotation center in Charlotte, but he's regressed quite a bit since then. He has a very nice jumpshot from within 15 feet, either as a standing shot or a turnaround from the post. Doesn't get much elevation, but with his size he can get it off against anyone anyway. No real post game to speak of besides the TAJ, but he isn't going to blow layups too much.

An average man-to-man defender. A below-average rebounder, especially at the defensive end - he has the size to get a few tipin OREBs. A bad shot-blocker. Soft.

Very slow.
  3. raxrets

raxrets Starter

Guess what? Do you know what it shows? Trading Brezec away - it means that at least dumars trusts both maxi and AJ, he believes that they can get the job done!

Dixon - well, he had to take somebody...
  4. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

It wasn't a total wash, because the Pistons will eat the final $1.8M on Murray's contract. But that is Davidson's problem, not ours, as it won't affect our cap going forward.

Dale is in the twilight of his career, but in terms of playing defense in the playoffs against bigger players, how can you not like him over Bresec?
  5. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

Primoz was already a non-factor with regards to Amir. He hadn't played rotation minutes in 12-15 games are so. Dixon comes in, and he will only tempt Flip yet again to play the veteran (Dixon), over the rookie (Stuckey or AA) regardless of how terrible he is. Flip had no problem giving Nazr and Primoz chance after chance to fail, before AJ was even given a second look.

This was a case of subtraction by addition.
  6. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

Herrmann can play the #4 in a pinch. Remember the job his pony tail did on Dirk.

He is at this point our 5th big.

AJ along with Sheed, Dyess and Maxey can handle the bigs of other teams.

:hoops:
  7. DirtyMoney

DirtyMoney First Round Draft Pick

What ever man!! I wonder what deal proposals Joe received for Flip. They had to be pretty terrible only to be able to pick up Flip Jr., Jr. I sharted.:sssh:
  8. The KiBosh

The KiBosh Second Round Draft Pick

I think this is the key here for the Pistons. He easily becomes one of our best shooters on the bench and is an adequate defender against PG's (Chauncy obviously would have to guard opposing SG's). In the playoffs if teams start clogging the driving lanes Dixon can create a little more space to work with.
    I've watched a LOT of Raps games and Juan isn't a chucker. He won't throw it up every time he touches the ball but if he's left open he's not afraid to take a shot.
    He never really had much of a home in Toronto and spent most of this season playing out of position as a PG. He was kinda OK at it but you'd have to be in a REALLY bad pinch to put him there.
  9. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

If Dirk had the slightest inclination to play a power game, Herrmann would be torched as he is by most other 3s and 4s.

Dirk's a 3, but in any case one weird matchup doesn't define a team concept.
  10. buddahfan

I am sorry I don't understand your point.

Stuckey and AA can not make 3 point goals plain and simple.

Maybe Dixon replaces Hunter who the team has decided will not be activated?

As far as AJ goes as long as Brezec was here there was always a chance up to a couple of weeks ago that Brezec would get minutes ahead of AJ which Brezec did when he first came to us.

Some may think it is obvious that AJ had made the rotation on a regular basis and not just a trial basis, but it seems to me that Joe D. and Flipper were looking at AJ as to whether they thought he could contribute in the playoffs. They after all, make the decisions who plays, not us..

Now it seems to me they are convinced that AJ can handle a spot in the regular rotation including against opponents 1st unit players. This trade is great news as it now stands and upgrades our 3 point shooting.

There are a lot of possibilities here but it seems to me that as it now stands this trade.

1. Improved our 3 point shooting
    2. As it now stands confirmed that Joe D. and Flipper are ready to use AJ in the playoffs in serious minutes against 1st and 2nd units.

11. The KiBosh

The KiBosh Second Round Draft Pick

EDIT: It screwed up and put a double post for some reason.
  12. buddahfan

I am talking about in an emergency. Brezec sure can't handle Dirk under any circumstances.

At least Herrmann can force Dirk away from the basket when Dirk is on defense. But again that is only in an emergency and probably will never happen unless one of our bigs goes down with an injury.

People way over rate the weight thing. The game is different today.

It consists of

1. Athletic and quick players
    2. Three point shooters
    3. Quick guards who can get to basket

We can shut Howard down when needed as we did this week. The problem is shutting down 3 point shooters and quick guards, neither of which Brezec can help us with.

It is my opinion that most posters on this forum don't like this deal, because they are disappointed that Joe D. didn't pull off some blockbuster trade so this trade then becomes an automatic emotional disappointment without analyzing it.

13. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

I beg to differ on the Juan Dixon trade.

Juan is NOT a chucker, a little streaky, but the young guy can play serious lock down defense.

I watched him the two years he was here in D.C. (his best year), the guy is seriously tough, check out his life story if you get a chance.

On the right team, Juan is gold.

He can split and break down defenses and is not afraid to take it to the rack.

The guy can flat out ball, undersized, but you put Juan on the floor with some champioship caliber vets, this guy will become a fan favorite, remember you heard it here.
  14. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

He's going to be on the floor with the zoo crew though.

Still, I'm glad to hear that he plays at both ends of the court.
  15. buddahfan

Juan Dixon - NBA Players - Sportsnet.ca

16. DirtyMoney

DirtyMoney First Round Draft Pick

He can flat out ball. Hmm. So what's missing then??
  17. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

2007-
    Juan Dixon

Here is what is weird about Dixon this year-- his overall FG% is much lower than his 3-point %. That doesn't happen very often.

Total FG% = .369
    3P% = .436

His 2P% = .347

And he gets fouled about once every 48 minutes.

2:1 assist to TO ratio
  18. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

WTF??? Why did he even bother making this deal. Wasn't there some golf to be played or some snow to be shoveled?
  19. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I just don't get this move....
  20. max

max All-Star

Yes something is up otherwise this trade makes no sense whatsoever.

- Detroit Pistons Basketball: News, Blogs, Photos, Audio, Schedule & Stats - MLive.com