Juan Dixon acquired for Brezec

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by ahb, Feb 21, 2008.

1. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Joe's MO is to move unhappy players. Since he feels like he has to move Murray, then he needed a little insurance at the guard position.

The odds are that this will have zero bearing on anything.
  2. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

3. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I think any time you've got a chance to add an undersized guy who doesn't have a position you have to do it.

What in the world is Cleveland thinking by adding depth and size up front and good shooters on the wings to one of the leagues best players? I got to be honest, I wasn't sure DET could beat CLE in the playoffs prior to this trade. Now?
  4. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

I agree here.

Dixon is one tough player. He just needs to find the right team to fit with. He is not afraid to do the little things like dive for loose balls, play defense, and he will take the big shot, and hit it!

I just don`t know if this current Piston squad is that right fit for him. But the guy can play.
  5. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Got to disagree. Maxiell and Davis paired up early in the season to form quite a pair of frontcourt defenders. Why we did not use that is way beyond me. Part of the problem is that last year, Maxiell was the guy Saunders was trying not to give minutes to. If we bring back Davis, and pair him up with Maxiell again on occasion, it would be a good thing. (With Amir at small forward.)
  6. max

max All-Star

What does that have to do with this trade?
  7. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

And this is hatred?

I ignore Amir too. I don't hate the guy. I don't even dislike him. I think he's a long way from being an impact player in any way, though.

The players I dislike, I whine and %%%%% about at the slightest provocation.

Back to the topic, I've never seen Dixon play very good defense, but I have no doubt armygirl and dLev have seen more of him than I.
  8. detteam

detteam All-Star

Can someone help me out here? Even if we reacquire DD...he's not playoff eligible, right?
  9. buddahfan

Forget AJ will never see small forward regardless of what people think or 82games says.

He is a #4 working on becoming a #5.

:hoops:
  10. buddahfan

He has already been an impact player for us like last night.

I don't know what games you have been watching but maybe you and Blakely are buddy buddy.

Right now AJ is a our second best big. That is a fact. Watch and learn.

11. M.Blunt=Q.Doobie

M.Blunt=Q.Doobie Second Round Draft Pick

be sure to wash your lips after servicing AJ, or people are liable to think that you are lazy, and sit around eating glazed doughnuts all day while you post endlessly on this forum.
  12. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Starter Forum Donor

I know you're being serious but this made me laugh. :pound:
  13. buddahfan

Amir Johnson taking advice; Making himself versatile, valuable | Freep.com | Detroit Free Press

14. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

http://www.pistonsforum.com/view-forumguidelines.html

I've got zero tolerance for member to member personal comments or attacks.
  15. Ozarkruffrider

Ozarkruffrider First Round Draft Pick

I'm not as up on NBA contracts and business as NFL. Is Dixon's expiring contract more than Brezec's for any reason? If the same, then Joe D must see a plus to his game that fits what we need for the team as a whole. 5-6 minutes somewhere that he brings per game that he would play in that would take the place of somebody that is in foul trouble.
  16. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

We still have some issues IMO in the middle both on the offense and defense.

Offensively we add another shooter, but what we needed was a penetrator.. Please tell me if Dixon plays will he be able to do both?
    The Cavs made some changes and picked up Ben and Joe Smith and also a point guard and shooter. This may not look good to some, but remember we could not beat the Bulls with Ben and Joe in the middle because some pistons still respected Ben, so can we beat the Cavs with those same two and lebron?? We get intimated by big men or perennial shot blockers....

Defensively, I still think that our interior defense maybe good on paper, but soft when it comes to clogging up the middle and being position to take a charge.

With bench cheerleader Brezec gone, Joe needs to scour the FA neighborhood looking for some beef in the middle. Dale Davis and PJ Brown are out there, but the Hornets are already reaching out for PJ, so tell me is there anybody else out there younger than 38 year old Davis and more agile than olawakandyman?

I may been on the fence about Joe standing pat, but now i think we have to second guess him now about not doing anything that could have at least checkmated the Cavs move. Didn't he anticipate something like this could happen? Either that 10 game win streak clouded his judgement or maybe nobody wanted to swap our scrubs:sssh:
  17. Ernie the Slow Adult

I heard a rumor that Joe D was talking to Bob Lanier last night about coming back to round out the front court.

I am dumbfounded that with all the salary dumps and fire sales going on throughout the L, that the best DET can come away with is Juan Dixon? Are they re-creating Noah's ark and I just don't know about it? They couldn't come up with a PG that might be able to get them into their offense with more than 15 seconds left on the shot clock maybe once a series? Do they think you have to use the full 8 seconds to get it over half court?

Dale Davis? He barely played when he was on the team! Now he's going to add something?

These Pistons are front-runners. Their offense is great as long as you allow them to get to their 2nd, 3rd and 4th options. Good teams take that away from them. They trap Billups and it is one pass and shoot a rushed shot against the clock. The players, coaches and now organization have shown zero ability to recognize and overcome this. I am not looking forward to what these teams are going to do against Stuckey.

I guess they'll just have to grind it out on O and win with their D. At least they're [STRIKE]strong[/STRIKE] thin up front to go against the bigger teams and [STRIKE]well stocked and versatile[/STRIKE] screwed against athletic wings.
  18. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

I don't really mind this trade. Brezec was no more than our new HVC. Outside of his size, he really didn't have anything else that could help us. His D was terrible, his rebounding too. Dixon at least plays better D than Murray, who both the detnews and freep have indicated will likely be bought out. If we do acquire DD, then this trade makes much more sense. He isn't going to give any offense, but he will give you defense and solid rebounding. He bothered the hell out of Dwight Howard last year. I'm not sure this move really changes the team's dynamic too much. He won't cut into Stuckey's minutes - though he might cut into Afflalo's if he continues to struggle on O. Other than that, I think he's gonna fill the old Brezec role.
  19. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Ernie, that's a lot of hand wringing over a Juan Dixon fer Primoz trade.

I was hoping for more, but Joe has been playing it safe, and we've come within 2 games of the Finals twice.

Still plenty of time to go yet.
  20. Ernie the Slow Adult

Yeah, but they've come within 2 games of being swept in the CF also. I am growing more miserable by the minute. That 10 game streak looks to be the highlight of the year. They're capable of so much more.