Juan Dixon acquired for Brezec

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by ahb, Feb 21, 2008.

1. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I don't really have any strong feelings about this trade.

In other news Brent Barry was waived by the Sonics. It would probably be difficult to lure him away from potential suitors such as Phoenix, but I think he would be the kind of addition to this team that Juan Dixon isn't quite.

Also I think Ruben Patterson is still a FA. What's he up to?
  2. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

Meaningless and why would you ever trade a Big for nothing?

I don't get it.
  3. st8ofmind

st8ofmind Bench Warmer

Chad Ford's (the doofus who gave us "Wilt the Stilt" Darko) take on Dixon v Brezec.

Can't say I disagree much. I look at him as another 'reliever' in case things don't go well.

I would have much much rather picked up Gerald Green though and used him exclusively as a finisher/energy/go tackle LeBra guy.

Feb. 21: Detroit sends Primoz Brezec to Toronto for Juan Dixon

For Detroit: It's a mild upgrade from the totally useless Brezec to the mildly useful Dixon -- if rookies Arron Afflalo or Rodney Stuckey lose their heads during the playoffs, he can come in and settle things down. Well, as much as things can "settle down" when he's jacking up every 20-footer he gets a halfway clean look at. But he's a better shooter than Flip Murray, at least. Grade: A-

For Toronto: The Euraptors were crestfallen when they acquired Dixon at the deadline last year and found out he was American. Exchanging him for Brezec fixes that nagging problem.

Also, Brezec is huge, and Toronto is desperate for size at the moment. But he's been horrid in his limited appearances the past two seasons. Personally, I'd rather have the guy who can play a little. Grade: C+

ESPN - Trade Grades: Who are the big winners and losers? - NBA
  4. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Too true. :)

Is Ford a stooge, or a shill? It's a good question.
  5. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Man, this is more ink than Dixon's gotten in his entire career so far.
  6. st8ofmind

st8ofmind Bench Warmer

I think he's a dipshill

cross t's as necessary
  7. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Ford's comments were funny.

That's good stuff.
  8. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

Q-TIPS:

This deal makes the Pistons better. What we have to analyze is who is going to be more helpful to the team down the stretch.

1. Dixon is a good team guy as was Primo. But you all wanted 10-15 mpg for Amir, and now you got it. JD will give good expirience to the Rip relief slot and the 5 minute Chauncey needs a break slot.

2. Anyway you slice it, Aaron and Rodney are 'rookies' and they will hit the playoff squeeze after the first round anyway. Dixon will give Flip a more confident presence in the playoffs. AA will have his time, but...

3. Flip HAS to win now!! He dosnt have time to play up Amir, AA and Rod when it's time to show. Sure, Stuckey will get his 15 minutes, but the 4th qtr will still belong to Rip and Shot. Which means...

4. Rip and Shot have got to let go of that dramatic ego of theirs and blow these teams like the Bucks away earlier than they do. I think there are games when the Pistons play'just' to see how they react in the 4th qtr, like they did vs Bucks Wed night. If they want to let the rookies get minutes, it's up to them. But I think..

5. Flip thinks the rookies have gotten a little full of themselves lately. Rod and AA have looked worse in the blowout games than the close ones. Hunter and Dixon will bring the intensity to the rookies rear-ends and get them to appreciate the 5-8 minutes they are going to eventually end of losing now.

Overall: as a 40 yearPiston fan, I truly believe that this was a nice trade. Like DomDeLuise as ceasar in 'History of the World, Pt 1'..."Nice...Nice...Not thrilling..but nice".YouTube - Dom DeLuise in History of the World Part 1
  9. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

some of the responses in this thread are downright ridiculous. first of all, brezec was never going to see another meaningful minute EVER in a pistons uniform. so why complain about getting rid of him for a player who could potentially contribute??

now, i have no clue if juan dixon can play defense, if he can shoot, how he'll fit in, etc. but the general consensus is that he's a better decision-maker than flip and plays better defense, and flip didn't want to be here anymore. what's wrong with swapping one 6'3" shooting guard with another? flip was unhappy, why keep him here? it was also clear at games that the pistons players didn't care for brezec and his antics. so we get rid of a spaz and an unhappy guy and improve our chemistry.

simple question - would you rather have magloire/davis/brown instead of brezec? of course you would. there's a good chance we'll get one of those guys now. yay for us.

and no offense, but afflalo has not been contributing lately. he's missed his FTs in the only pressure situations he's had this year, isn't grabbing boards, and is trying too hard to generate his own offense because he probably feels left out of it. yes our defense has sucked the past 2 games but that's more on the starters. afflalo still plays decent defense but if dixon can provide that AND better scoring, i trust that more in the playoffs.

bottom line is that we know we weren't getting anything more from flip or brezec this year, and we picked up a guy who MIGHT contribute. there is absolutely NO downside to this trade. we lose nothing, and might gain something. if dixon sucks and doesn't play, that's absolutely no different than murray's current situation.
  10. KP

KP First Round Draft Pick

... and AA's starting to commit too many unforced turnovers - bad passes, etc.
  11. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Here is a quote from the Toronto forum:
    Neither team had anything to lose here.

If Flip Murray was perfectly content, then we probably would keep him too.

One benefit of Joe's willingness to accomodate unhappy players is that they know that he will help them out and they don't make any noise and disrupt the team. All they have to do is tell Joe in private that they are unhappy and then they can sit tight and act like a good citizen. That in turn keeps their trade value at a higher level and makes it more likely to happen.

Think of how annoying it would be if Flip Murray was whining to the press about playing time all year.
  12. st8ofmind

st8ofmind Bench Warmer

Yep

(need 6 characters)
  13. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

You are absoloutely right Abe. The Terrapins won the NCAA Championship with Jaun Dixon, Steve Blake and Chris Wilcox that year.

He slipped to went #17 to the Wizards in the draft, if not Joe D may have picked him instead of Tayshaun.

Juan is a good guy, hardworking, if you get a chance, his background is a heartbreaker. Both parents died of AIDS and he basically raised himself.

He WILL become a fan favorite.
  14. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

I bleed Terrapin Red, hope you all can't tell my Alumni affiliation.

I agree with those on the forum that stated that Affalo and Stuckey will contribute some in the playoffs, however, they haven't been battle tested, and whoever said that the Rookies may be getting a little big-headed, I tend to agree with that analysis.

Stuckey & AA will eventually become the face of the franchise more than likely, however, they are not battle tested.

I have a feeling Juan is gonna steal AA's minutes as we get further down the road. I am telling you guys, I have watched Juan since his freshman year in high school. You want to see energy off the bench...stay tuned folks.

He is the real deal, I have always said and feel, that on the right team, this 6'3" guard will blossom into something very, very, special.
  15. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Didn't you also say that we were going to fall in love with Jarvis Hayes? :pound:
  16. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

17. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
  18. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

It took them a while to negotiate whether he would get a first class ticket out of here or coach.
  19. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    Couldn't decide which Flip they were going to ship out? :stirthepot: :pound:
  20. st8ofmind

st8ofmind Bench Warmer

Will Dixon be in uni tonight?