Juggling the numbers...Top 6 teams...

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by G-man, Nov 14, 2005.

1. G-man

G-man Starter

[​IMG]

Every couple weeks we'll do a rundown of where the Pistons stand in reference to the top statistical categories that matter in todays NBA.

So far, six games in is still pretty early to making any conclusions. But we do see a pretty good juggling act when it comes to the Pistons overall balance..let's look at how they rank as a team, compared to all the others this morning..We'll list the top 6 teams in each category..

Team Scoring, The Pistons are 6th at 100.7 per game same as the 5th ranked Cavs. The Suns remain #1 at 108.2 then it's those amazing Bucks at 107.6, Wizards at 102.7 and 76'ers at 101.4.

Team Defense, The Pistons woke in the #1 spot after the Magic slipped a bit. Detroit is holding teams to 87.7, then it's the Magic at 89.3 (who'd a thunk it), Rockets at 89.5, Grizz at 89.9, Jazz at 90.4 and Wiz at 90.5. Only 2.7 points per game separate these 6 top teams.

Team Scoring Differential (or what we win by), Detroit is #1 at a crazy 13.0 pts per game. Then the Wiz at 12.2, cavs at 7.8, Spurs at 5.8, Pacers at 4.8 and Bucks at 4.4.

Team FG% Differential, Don't look now but the Wiz-AJ (after Jordan) are ripping this one up with a bullet. #1 at. 082, then it's the Heat at .057, Our Pistons at .040, Spurs at .035, Clips at .034 and Wolves at .034.

Team FG% (who's hot), The Pistons are sizzling at #1,.486%, right at their heels, Miami Heat shooting .484, Spurs .481, Pacers .476, Wiz .473 and Suns .471.

Team FT% (sweet chairty), Cavs are leading the pack at .817 from the stripe, Suns are red hot at .808, Hornets are at .803, Spurs .787, Kings at .783 and finally the Pistons at .774.

Team 3 PT%, Bucks are raining rocks at .452, Baby Bulls .436, Pistons at .431, Spurs at .413, Celts at .412, and Pacers round out the top six at .402.

Team Rebounding Difference, Cavs are working the glass the hardest +9.4 per game, then its Jazz 7.3 (take a memo on that), Nuggets 6.7, Bucks 6.4, Pistons 6.3 and Magic at 5.7.

Team Assists, (who's got the eyes?) It's a Nash bash as the Suns are dishing it for an amazing 27.3 per outing, then its Nuggets at 26, Pistons at 24.33, celtics at 23.1, Wolves at 22.8 and finally those pesky Bucks at 22.8.

Team Personal Fouls The Spurs are moving their feet folks, they lead the league as the least whistled team at 20.14 per game. Then our own Detroit Pistons are getting serious respect at 21.00, then the Cavs at 21.29, the Grizz at 21.29, the Blazers at 21.40 and the Woves at 22.00.

Team Steals The fastest hands belong to those upstart Bobcats at 13.00 per game, then the Celts 10.3, Pacers at 10.00, Lakers at 9.0, Seattle at 9.0 and Iversons 76'ers round out the top 6 at 8.71. (Detroit is ranked 8th at 8.33).

Team Turnovers The Suns are winning this one, a measley 11.83 per game. Then the 76'ers at 12.29, the Wolves at 12.33, The Pistons at 12.50, The Wiz at 12.67 and finally the Hornets at 13.60.

Team Assists Differential Those Suns are all over this one, combine their total assists with their measley give ups and these guys are averaging a +8.17 per game. The Pistons are second in the league at +5.17, then its Celts at 4.50, Wiz at 4.17, Nuggets at 4.0 and finally the Wolves at 3.50.

Team Swats It must be the AIR up there cause Denver is flying high at 7.17 swats per outing. Then thre teams are tied at 7.0, Heat, Wolves and Jazz. Then the Blazers and Celtics at 6.50. (The Pistons are ranked #18 at 4.33)

All in all, you can see why and how Detroit is getting it done. They're keeping all their balls in the air. The three areas where they can improve a bit, Swats, Steals and the Charity Stripe.

Biggest surprise in these rankings, the Wizards are working some early magic. They look tough and balanced.

2. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

wow...nice

This is a cool breakdown.

I also enjoyed the commentary G-Man. :)

These numbers really put things into perspective as to how unique and gifted this Pistons squad is. Simply put, we get r' done!

3. Fool

Fool First Round Draft Pick

Agreed. Well written and informative.

4. himat

himat Bench Warmer

truly i'm surprised we lead the league in opponents ppg. i do believe the pistons have the best defense in the league, but the way the pistons are running for easy baskets that would make the opponent have more possesions because the pistons wouldn't have the ball in their possesion as long. that just shows you that our defense is still great, but we have not seen it against many good teams we'll have our first true test down in texas starting this friday against the rockets, and mavs. i think the pistons will step up to the challenge.

5. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Great job G-man!

I'm surprised with our lack of blocks so far. Although we've been playing a lot of perimeter shooting teams. I'm sure that will go up considerably once we play some more East teams that like to bang inside.

6. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

I'm very pleasantly surprised at the lack of personal fouls. But that will probably go up when we play the East teams too. :ohwell:

7. G-man

G-man Starter

Blocking and tackling

I agree the current blocks position is lower than you might expect. Especially since the DMC guy is actually swatting away balls like slow horesflys.

I'm not sure what you can accurately attribute it to, other than we're giving up more inside movement between the blocks than we were when we finished out last year. Maybe we aren't getting as much weakside activity as we were a year ago. Maybe our mindsight is to run the court a tad sooner, a millisecond sooner and it's got us not looking for that last weakside swat as we turn upcourt.

Maybe, maybe, maybe.

I think we'll be better capable of discerning the difference in another two weeks when we get a better rythym and other teams currently getting more swats make adjustments.

We'll log this stuff every couple weeks and see where the trail leads..

Personally I'm still surprised Orlando was leading the league in team D until yesterday and that the Wiz might actually be the team to beat in their division this year....

8. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Hell if it means we never lose, I don't care if we're last in the league in blocks!