Keeper League?

Discussion in 'Fantasy Sports Central' started by max, Jul 1, 2008.

1. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

I've drafted in football leagues before where the commissioner writes down everyone's picks and fills them in on Yahoo after the draft. It would take some effort Max, but yes, I believe we could pull this off. Depends if the Commissioner is willing to do it.

2. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Just read through all the comments. And yeah Mo, we all thought of the keeper league as seperate from the novice and advanced leagues, so no probs there. As for scrubs league, my enthusiasm has died on that. Linwood, you can take the reigns on that one if you want.

ESPN does leagues, and good ones too from what I've read. They do keeper leagues as well but the downer for them is it costs money. However, I just read a preview that said it will be FREE next season for the first time. Not sure if this includes keeper leagues though.

I'm just about to check out your league Slipster.

3. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

I'll check out the ESPN version as well.

4. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

You have to be very careful with these free leagues that used to be pay to play leagues. They normally cheapen the product and don't offer as many bells and whistles to the non paying crowd. Also the customer support is not a s good as they primarily focus on the premium leagues i.e. "paying customers".

5. Darth Tater

I'm thinking this isn't such a great idea...for me.

I've been reading up on this stuff and it seems like usually you get to keep about three players. So it's really not such a big deal. Combine that with what you pointed out above and I think I'm not too interested in the keeper league after all.

Also, the more I think about it, I am not willing to make such a long term commitment. Plus, the draft is really exciting for me. I think it won't be as cool with the top 30 players gone before it even begins.

Darth will be joining the advanced league. Gonna pass on the Keeper.

6. max

max All-Star

ESPN Keeper leagues cost $49.95 per team. They last 3 years and only let you keep 3 players. The draft is in order of record from the previous year. The thing about that is it may have the opposite effect of what we are looking for i.e. players tanking the year to get the top pick.

ESPN - Rules - Keeper Leagues - Fantasy Basketball

7. max

max All-Star

I am still joining the regular advanced league regardless. You are not getting rid of the comeback kid that easy..

We we can keep looking at keeper league options and if it does not work out then it does not work out. ESPN is a bit steep. Obviously free is the best option. If there is something that charges a more reasonable fee then we can look into that and see who is still open.

8. webz

Max, check out this link. ESPN is free as of next season.

LINK

I agree some caution is probably a good thing concerning Auction (maybe not a goer), but I'll keep researching this Keeper stuff, plenty of people do it. We got lots of time.

9. max

max All-Star

I must have been looking at last years rates then for a customized league. Tried going through but it does not look like you can with NBA yet.

Yes thats the good thing about looking early, plenty of time to decide.

10. webz

Slippy, looks like the fanstar website costs money? Found this in the FAQ.

Careful mate. If you pass up this opportunity once you might not get another chance... EVER!! :gun1:

11. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I don't think the Commissioner would necessarily have to do all of the work. If you pick a league without the Keeper option (e.g., Yahoo), everyone would just have to declare their keeper guys (say we went with 5) at the end of the season.

When the next season began, each person would be required to draft their keeper guys in those first 5 rounds. After that, it would be a free-for-all like a normal draft.

12. max

max All-Star

Thats what I was thinking - something along those lines.

13. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Seems to be a PM convo going on about money re: fantasy.

If there is a "league fee" and it is not unreasonable ($89 is reasonable to me), the forum will bear the cost. If there is a per team fee, then we will have to decide collectively if that is something we want to do or not.

I know in some keeper leagues, an annual buy in, with prizes at the end from the buy in, are used to keep people playing. If a quitter wants to walk away from $X, then that improves everyone else's prize lot.

That said, I can see bitterness and bad feelings if money gets involved. We've already had a few small fantasy spats in the past when no money was involved.

Again, I'll repeat. The forum will bear the league fee, if required. So go find the system that will work best, to make this a success, and don't let zero cost be a primary factor in determining what we use next season.

Sound good?

14. Darth Tater

Roscoe,

It's very generous of you to have the forum bear the costs of the league, if necessary.

I'm not planning to participate in this particular league, but please heed your own warning for caution. Despite the fact that we have quality people here who generally get along, money leagues make things very touchy. I would advise against a league where people can make money.Sooner or later, something bad almost always happens.

15. max

max All-Star

Kind of waiting on some other feedback here.

I agree with Tater on the prize issue.

Thanks again Roscoe for the generous offer. Its far more than I expected . However I vote to decline. Namely since its not that important and it may be generate hard feelings from other members. Maybe not but you never know.

16. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

I don't think Roscoe was speaking about a prize, but more less the fee involved in establishing the league. With that said, I think we should explore the keeper league that you don't have to pay to play first to see if forum members actually like it.

I still would like to participate in the Advanced League. I have to revenge my 3rd place finish. :gun1:

17. max

max All-Star

I know, I was commenting on the league fees in the 2nd part.

18. BillLaimbeer

Now that Tater decided to drop out, I think this league will be very fun. :pound:

19. Darth Tater

It's always more fun when you actually have a chance to win the trophy. :wedgie:

20. BillLaimbeer

Trophy? LOL. This Keeper League will have prizes, cash awards, game tickets, etc. Too bad you dropped out. Na na na na na!!!