Kidd to Mavs heating up again

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by himat, Feb 13, 2008.

1. himat

himat Bench Warmer

:pound:I will say it again. This is riskier than the Shaq to Phoenix trade.

2. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I've been more or less following him (he is a Sprocket after all) and towards the beginning of the season he was almost averaging a triple double. He dropped off when he started talking about getting traded. It's a lousy long term thing for Dallas, but a motivated Kidd could put up those kind of numbers with Dirk and Josh for the rest of this season and probably a lot of the next. I'd say that's now the official timeframe for the Mavs to win it all.

And that's the other shoe. If the Mavs don't take it to at least game six of the finals this year and next year, and win one there will be lots of heads on the block.

3. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Phoenix got rid of a guy who wanted to leave and was grumbling.

The Mavs are getting rid of a lot of depth.

4. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I know that triple doubles are his thing. But they just seem like weak TD's to me.

His season high is 20 points and it took him 16 shots to do it. He steals rebounds from teammates. His triple doubles always seem to be the minimum. (13/10/10, 11/10/13, 13/11/11, 10/10/10, 15/11/12, 11/10/11, 13/10/13, 12/15/12, 12/11/13, 11/19/10, 16/14/10).

There were a few dominant performances in there, but if I didn't know better, I would say that he is consciously gunning for triple doubles. There are just too many games where he barely gets them.

He's shooting 36% this year. His scoring average is 7.5 points below his high in 02-03. In fact, it has steadily declined every year since then.

I guess I'm a hater.

5. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

The Suns trade may get them to the Finals but I still like the Jazz chances of getting to the Finals better than the Suns and the Lakers also better than the Suns even without Bynum returning. If Bynum returns at full strength by the start of the playoffs and no one else of consequence on the Lakers roster is injured at the start of and through the playoffs I think the Lakers will get to the Finals in a cake walk.

Miami is better without Shaq, even though I don't think that have won yet since they start playing Marion (maybe a couple of games), but they were in those games in the 4th quarter which is a lot better than they were playing with or without Shaq.

Marion is more then getting Shaq's rebounding numbers and scoring a lot more than Shaq. Blount is putting up pretty good numbers starting in an up tempo offense. The Heat will probably get a very good lottery pick. So if they pick correctly and Marion resigns with them it appears to me that they will have a chance to make the playoffs next year.

:hoops:

6. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Yeah, I've sure noticed that shooting thing too. Add that to Prince shooting 20% and it can make for a long fantasy week. But you're right, that's certainly the thing with him, can he hit the shot well enough to stop you from dropping off him in the half court offense and packing it in around the big guys.

Though surely there are a lot of guards out there who would be pretty happy with those "minimum" triple doubles. :)

7. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

There may be another trade in the works to get another Centre, but yeah, its risky considering Damiper struggles to stay on the court. Unless they are planning to go small/uptempo and shift Dirk to the 5.

He is a poor shooter but he probably won't have to shoot too much in the Mavs offense. He can shoot the 3 with more regularity than Harris.

Also looks like Nets will buy out Stackhouse and he will re-sign with Mavs after 30 days.

It's gonna be an interesting playoff bracket in the West, thats for sure.

8. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

Surely, you're hater, KIdd is the ONLY guard, who is able constantly make TD's. Dallas got right man(runnin-gunnin) too late and for too much.

9. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

The only way that a triple double is not impressive is if the player is manufacturing it. I think Bobby Sura missed a shot on purpose to get his 10th rebound after we traded him.

Kidd doesn't do anything that bad, but I get the feeling that once he has a 10 in a category, he focuses on the others. There are just too many 10's on his game logs.

10. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

You know what is crazy? Kidd averages 0.7 rebounds less than Bell Wallace per game (9.1 to 9.8). But... Ben Wallace has a better FG%.

11. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

But Kidd doesn't miss on as many dunks as Ben does.

12. Ozarkruffrider

Ozarkruffrider First Round Draft Pick

Mahorn said it's not enough. Kidd may be great, but the real problem is "no dogs" in the front court. They aren't tough enough and will be at least 5th behind the Lakers, Spurs, Suns and Jazz.

13. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

Mahorn must be reading my posts. LOL

:hoops:

14. detteam

detteam All-Star

I just don't get this part of the deal.

Does anyone know where I can pick up a copy of "NBA Trading for Dummies"? :stupid:

15. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

Good trade for Dallas.

Kidd's a major league %%%%%%% but he's better even now than Seinfeld will likely ever be.

16. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

But in any case, they keep Terry, who's really underrated. I don't really understand why Johnson marginalizes him in favor of perennial chokers like Howard and Stackhouse.

17. himat

himat Bench Warmer

18. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

I don't understand. I thought Kobe had the "only no trade clause in the NBA".This is lousy for Dallas. How can Devean George (wasn't he a Laker only a year ago? I mean he's not a franchise guy, who cares what he wants?) block such a big trade that two teams have agreed to? Devean George?????

19. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

I don't really get it either, but this is nuts. How could the Mavs let it get this far without realizing the risk of this happening? You announce a deal where a bunch of your guys are getting shipped out, only to have it called off because of a clause in a contract that no one bothered to take into account? How stupid can a team's personnel people get? This would seriously muck with Dallas' chemistry if it doesn't go through now.

20. fwoompf

fwoompf First Round Draft Pick

Devean George is hilarious.