1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Kidd to Mavs heating up again

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by himat, Feb 13, 2008.

1. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

Man, Devean George will be in a suit at the end of the bench. Gotta be alot of resentment and mixed up feelings coming his way. There's alot of ways to get back at a guy even if he's still around and you have to keep paying him. On the other hand, if Devin and Stack and Diop and others didn't want to go...then Devean George could be the guy who saved the day for them. But yeah messy messy messy. Half the team pissed off about it one way or the other.

2. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Stack was going to sign back with the Mavs anyway, so he is probably not happy with George. You can't blame George, though.

3. BillLaimbeer

George informed the Mavericks that he wouldn't consent to being included in the deal, which is his right based on a rare provision in his one-year contract.

"Early Bird rights," a provision earned by being in his second year and on his second contract with the Mavericks, made the move possible.

"We're not trying to hold things up or be difficult, but just like teams make tough decisions all the time -- about cutting players or making trades -- they do what's best for their team, and it's my obligation to do what's best for Devean," his agent, Mark Bartelstein, said, according to The Associated Press.

"You don't want to stop teams from doing their business, but we don't feel like it makes sense at this time. He's starting right now and things are going pretty good."

ESPN - Mavs forward George blocks trade of Kidd to Mavs - NBA

4. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

Where did you read that the players that weren't involved in the trade are pissed off that George pulled the plug on the trade?

It could be that none of the players wanted it and that is why he George axed it!!!

:hoops:

5. himat

himat Bench Warmer

I think there is more to it. Maybe the Mavs realized that the trade was not so great, so they pulled back. Devean's contract was only an excuse for it.

6. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

Oh no buddah I didn't mean to say that I had read anything about the players feelings etc. I was just thinking along the lines d4e wrote about it being so public and then falling through.

Like say you are Dirk and you are all excited that you are getting Kidd as your pg? And then you find out it's not happening after all. And George and Diop and Stack all heard Dirk getting all thrilled about Kidd. That's what I mean....chemistry killing stuff in the middle of the season. Or I suppose as the players always seem to say "Trades are part of this business so we are used to it."

Now the above example about Dirk was a just one hypothetical, so I don't have a link:pound:and don't want to see any posts about "How do you know Dirk said that?":)

I'm sorry the trade isn't going through. I like Kidd and would watch him more as a Mav because I follow them more.

7. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

Now say you are Dirk and you are pissed off that Dallas is trading Harris and Stackhouse even though Stack would supposedly resign with Dallas.

My point is we may not know what the real reason was that George axed the trade. All we know is what we read or see on tube. I am pretty sure that Harris and Stack didn't want to go to NJ.

:hoops:

8. detteam

detteam All-Star

Where did you read that?

:wedgie:

9. BillLaimbeer

As part of the original arrangement, New Jersey was expected to buy out Stackhouse's contract immediately, with Dallas hoping to re-sign him once Stackhouse sits out the 30 days required by a league rule that was instituted before the 2005-06 season.

"I feel great," Stackhouse told the Associated Press. "I get 30 days to rest, then I'll be right back. I ain't going nowhere.

"I think Devin has a lot of upside, but Jason Kidd is the type of all-league point guard our team needs," Stackhouse continued. "We just need a jolt. Adding a player like him can re-energize a team, hopefully."

10. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Deavan played in tonights game and was 0-11 from the field...guess he wasn't feeling it. Since he did attempt to block the trade bfore the game, he and Diop play but Kidd and Wright sit it out and Nets get blown out by the Rapts:)

11. max

max All-Star

From the article

That would have been something. As back then the fortunes of 2 franchises were altered due to a throw in piece of the trade.

Can't blame Gerorge though. All he is doing is not giving up something that is legally his. Must be a lot of pressure to go along with it though.

12. LA Dre

You have to wonder how many other players in the league might have one of these no trade deals and are any of them lower tier players like Devean??

With that being said, Popovich now wishes that Kwame Brown had one that he would have exercised and Shawn Marion wishes he had one since he will get an early vacation this year with the Heat..:MusicBigGrin:

13. LA Dre

I remember that Iverson was suppose to come here, which would have given us Grant Hill, Stackhouse and AI, but Max do you recall who we were supposed to depart with?? (damn that Matt Gieger !!*&^^)....

14. BillLaimbeer

The main reason that George is blocking the trade is because he would lose his Bird rights if he is traded. That is George's main leverage for negotiating his next contract. It isn't about George having a problem with going to New Jersey.

15. BillLaimbeer

LOL. Deaven broke Tayshaun's 0-for-10 game to now have the worst shooting game in the NBA this year.

16. jumper7

jumper7 Second Round Draft Pick

bad move for the mavs. an aging kid was not worth all that they gave up. i have to go on fantazsports.com and do some messing around. good pick up for the nets.

17. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

I think Stackhouse was actually going to be the main Pistons player involved in that proposed deal.

18. max

max All-Star

That was Dumars 1st year. Hill was already gone and Ben/Chuckie already agreed to come here, it was later turned into a sign/trade of course. It was basically Stackhouse for Iverson I can't recall who else was thrown in on our end ( Montross I think?). It was a steal because that was back when LB and AI were not getting along and LB wanted him out. The two later agreed to make the best of it and they of course went on to the NBA Finals that year.

Our likely starting line in 00-01 would have been Atkins, AI, Ben Wallace, Curry, Geiger/Joe Smith ( Smith was signed early in the season after the Wolves were forced to void his contract).

It really would have changed the Piston landscape. Figure we probably would not have gotten Rip because Stack would not have been here to trade and AI was too high of a commodity for a 2nd year player. LB would not have been the coach because AI and LB never would have had the chance to patch things up.

Not sure how things would have turned out. Probably the biggest deal in Piston history to not have happened.

19. LA Dre

Thanks Max...we could have floundered for awhile with that lineup and maybe got Labron James and a few other lotto picks and could really be just now startin our surge to the top....

..maybe the NBA suspended the trade so they could assure that Kidd played on the East all-star team and then the trade is completed after the break:):sssh:

20. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Devean George stat line: 0 points, 1 block.