KiKi, Denver's GM Fired

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by justise32, May 5, 2006.

1. justise32

justise32 First Round Draft Pick

2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

He's been a lameduck GM all season. His contract expired this summer anyway and an extension was only going to come with a good playoff showing. This allows the org. to bring in the next leader before the draft and free agency.

I though Kiki did a good job with that franchise. He recruited Karl, he acquired a lot of talent to a squad that looked radically different before he got there.

Roster 2000-1

Antonio McDyess
    Nick Van Exel
    Raef LaFrentz
    Voshon Lenard
    George McCloud
    James Posey
    Robert Pack
    Kevin Willis
    Keon Clark
    Mark Strickland
    Ryan Bowen
    Tariq Abdul-Wahad
    Anthony Goldwire
    Tracy Murray
    Terry Davis
    Calbert Cheaney
    Dan McClintock

Roster 2005-6

Carmelo Anthony
    Andre Miller
    Earl Boykins
    Kenyon Martin
    Marcus Camby
    Greg Buckner
    DerMarr Johnson
    Francisco Elson
    Eduardo Najera
    Earl Watson
    Ruben Patterson
    Linas Kleiza
    Reggie Evans
    Voshon Lenard
    Howard Eisley
    Julius Hodge
    Nene Hilario
    Bryon Russell
    Charles Smith
  3. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

If Nene, Martin, and Camby were to have been healthy all year they would have probably passed the Suns and could well still be playing. And they would have had pieces to trade over the summer to relieve the big man log jam.

Maybe Kiki should have hired a better trainer.

All right, anyone who pays Martin serious bucks might not be all there, but still...
  4. linwood

linwood All-Star

I wonder if the KMart deal was the last straw. They paid alot of money for a guy that was suspended during the playoffs.
  5. justise32

justise32 First Round Draft Pick

I got a question. How much blame do you put on the coach, if you were the owner? Or can you really blame the coach? It didn't seem like their coach had much power. He tried to suspend Melo a time or two, but the GM didn't back him up. I know little or nothing about the Denver team, but when I did seen them play (including 3 Denver home games I attended), it just didn't seem like they had any respect for their coach. They did what they wanted to do. I remember one game, he tried to get KMart to go in the game, and he wouldn't. When he finally went in, he just stood around. And I saw Camby just standing around a couple, especially during the playoffs. I thought that was different because he normally is a pretty good player. And I have heard that Melo throws tantrums at times. So, can the coach shoulder some of the blame for their failures? If so, is he next in line? Just asking your opinion. I trying to learn the ends and outs.:)
  6. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

I thought he did a decent job considering the Nuggets were a gimmick and then a Joke. Everyone blows draft picks. Look at Joe D.
    If anything Kiki put too much worth on talent. You need to look at the total package. But he did do better than a few people who STILL have their GM hats on.
  7. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

forget that, the real story is dang, his wife is hot!!

[​IMG]
  8. linwood

linwood All-Star

Whats up with the kid and his surgery gloves?
  9. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

wait, there's a kid in that picture?? :eyebrows:
  10. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Good question. I'm guessing if you aren't in the middle of it, you never really know the thought process that goes on. And maybe not even then.

My POV is that the majority of winning or losing is on the players. But, they're not so easy to fire so the coach and GM take a disproportionate share of the blame when things go wrong. This is of course exacerbated because owners hardly ever fire themselves.

Based on what I've heard (and I haven't paid much attention to the Nuggets), it seemed to me like Kiki did a decent job. He put as much talent on the floor as other GMs, more than a good many, and he brought in Karl. Detractors talk about the mix of players he acquired, too many big guys, not enough shooters, etc. And their attitudes - Martin and Anthony are not bad nominees for the all head case team.

And as you point out, Kiki seems to have sided with the players over the coach relative to suspensions and other disciplinary actions, and if true means that one or the other of them had to go. That’s a seriously ugly situation and forces the owner to make a move. At that point ownership probably just picks one to fire based on their own POV and how easy it would be to find a replacement.