KJ overrated

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by roscoe36, Sep 11, 2005.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I am going on record now that Kevin Jones is really overrated.
  2. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

I don't think we'll ever know how good our running backs (or QBs) will be until we get an offensive line that can create space... We haven't had a good "O" line since Billy Sims.
  3. Zoso

Zoso First Round Draft Pick

Kj

I disagree. I think he's a solid back. He had a great rookie year and I think he's going to have a huge season. That is, as long as the horses up front do their jobs. They sure looked 'iffy' in the preseason. So that might be asking a lot. :doh:

KJ does need to work on his blocking though. There were a few times when he he got hammered in the preseason. :dizzy:
  4. roscoe36

I thought we had a pretty good line the year that Barry got 2K. Glover and Brown were Pro Bowl linemen.

I just think that KJ is too soft a blocker to stay on the field, and that side step move is not going to work once teams start looking harder at Lions game film.

He's low, powerful and seems tough. I just don't see him being as good as the pre-season hype. You watch some games this afternoon, and there are a ton of good backs out there with little hype.

Anyway, GO LIONS!
  5. roscoe36

Only the Lions can lose that ugly and it feels like nirvana.

Brett Favre totally self destructed there at the end. Almost pathetic the way the Leo's shut him down.
  6. Zoso

Zoso First Round Draft Pick

game

I agree. I can't believe we held them without a touchdown. NO one would have predicted that one. God, did the Packers look old and slow, or what? What about all those penalties they racked up! Also, their WR's couldn't catch half the passes that Brett threw.

I swear, they played like the Lions have the last few years.

What was the deal with the play calling? It was absolutely atrocious. Let's see, our offensive line can't block squat, so Mooch keeps calling running plays! Just pathetic.

I hope Jason Hanson is all healed up by next week. The last thing we need is to lose our most dependable player.
  7. Hotsauce

Hotsauce First Round Draft Pick

Our Offensive line sucks. Thats not his problem. KJ is SOLID, and will get better.

Kevin Jones.....1,350 yrds.
  8. roscoe36

That's just it though. A great offensive line can make Rueben Droughns an elite back. I agree that KJ is a cut above, but all of this talk I hear about him possibly being one of the best backs in the league sounds really premature.

Is he a Marshall Faulk? I think most of us would be happy if he was an Emmitt Smith (especially in GOTMOOCH's snore offense). I don't know yet. We'll see, but after watching that kid blow up in Pittsburgh today (the 3rd string back) the standards are high if you want to be considered elite.

Oh, and GOTMOOCH is no help at all. He'll find any excuse to get his favorite sons Paul Smith and Shawn Bryson on the field for critical downs. It's like when they pulled Barry in short yardage and goal line. CRAZY!
  9. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

I agree the play calling was terrible. I think Kevin Jones will be great but we need (1) the offensive line to improve, and (2)the play calling needs to involve those great receivers more so the defense will focus on them (pulling the safeties out a bit) which in turn gives Kevin some room to run all over the place. I can't imagine why they are being so conservative. Oh well, they won. I'll take it.
  10. roscoe36

I'm a closet Lions geek if you haven't figured it out already.

I'll get excited when we hit 8 wins. I've seen this too many times before. I'm not an anti-Ford, anti-Millen fanatic, but I am really not a fan of Mooch. We played too much of that game not to lose, and if a veteran coach can't call a game at this point of his career, we are in for a long, long season.

The funny thing is, we didn't beat the Pack. They beat themselves with all of those penalties.

Btw, I thought Joey looked decent out there. That hookup with Pollard is money. Figures, Pollard was a basketball player before he pursued football. Roy Williams is really overrated too. That guy dropped or lost 3 completions today.

I'm a little happy, a little scared and definitely trying to rile you cats up.
  11. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Nah, you can't rile us up. Any true Lions fan knows the lions will only tease us and then break our hearts.. I agree with what you said.

I'm sure there is some way to dream they will be good. I know...Just wait until Mooch plays the 3rd stringers... Here are their "48 minute stats"...:pound:
  12. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Starter Forum Donor

Lions

Didn't see the game, of course, but I'm guessing the Lions rush defense played OK based on the stats? :confused: I knew Fernando Bryant would get picked on. I was at the Cleveland preseason game and he got stomped like a cockroach in a Southern barbecue joint.
  13. roscoe36

Lousy pass rush, poor tackling. We got bailed out with 7 or 9 penalties on the offense. Look at the stats, you'll see that Green Bay had like 14 penalties or something like that. It was crazy.

At the end, Brett Favre totally lost his composure. He just started chucking the ball and yelling at his line. His face was red like a beet with under 2 minutes to go until the final whistle.

I heard Chris Berman say today that Favre would hang them up when he thought there was no chance of winning in GB. Tonight may have been the first step. It's obvious they have problems.

As a side note, GB WR Javon Walker may have tore his ACL. This is the same guy who held out and Favre blasted him and told him to get into camp. Well the brother has a tiny contract and no guaranteed money. He probably should have held out. His financial future is in doubt now. And if he will play again this year.
  14. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Jones

Micro, I think (and hope) you're wrong about KJ. He had more rushing yards than any other back the last 8 games of last season, as a rookie. That was with teams stacking 8 in the box and daring the Lions to beat them with the pass, with only Roy Williams as a legitimate NFL WR on our roster at the time - and he was gimpy with the calf injury.

Our O Line couldn't create a hole in swiss cheese.

Jones is a very solidly built back, he looks to initiate contact (did you see the hit HE put on Terry Fair in the 3rd exhibition?). He has good speen and agility.

The 2 things he needs to work on to become an elite NFL back is his blocking and receiving.
  15. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

i'm with jammer, i think KJ is pretty shweet ... a few times he sidestepped at the start of the play when he shoulda just ran forward, but even today he consistently got us 3-4 yards (often 5-6) a carry, and fought hard to get those even in situations where it looked like no gain. i mean sure it's premature to call him one of the best backs in the league, but he's doing great so far.
  16. legend71

legend71 Second Round Draft Pick

Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.
  17. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Barry

Remember Micro, Barry Sanders gave his O-Line, I believe cash, watches i.e. if they provided him with the proper protection. I remember reading about this in the news. Anybody out there have any recollection of this incident, which by the way worked pretty good.
  18. roscoe36

That's pretty normal for QBs and RBs to reward their "protectors". I believe that cheapskate Dan Marino gave his O-Line Isotoner gloves every year.

The most extravagant guy was Emmitt Smith. I read somewhere that he would go all out on his guys, spending big bucks after a successful year.
  19. Buckeyes#1

Buckeyes#1 First Round Draft Pick

KJ is a stud. He is not only quick and elusive, he's got power. As a rookie, he led the entire league the last half of the season. Can you imagine what he will be like when he knows what he is doing? Last year he basically did that on raw talent. I see a very scary offense once everyone learns their positions.
  20. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

I do remember this. Barry used to buy his offensive Line Rolex's and other gifts for helping him get over a 1000 yards every season. It was his way of thanking them. In my opinion Barry did most of the work on his own the offensive line was crappy. Just think how many yards he could have gotten with Dallas's OL he would have had probably a 3000 yard season and probably would be holding the single game record with like 350 yards rushing in a game.