Knick Knack..Marburys last Stand?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by G-man, Jul 29, 2008.

1. G-man

G-man Starter

Interesting Blog piece by Alan Hahn on Starburys fish barrel existence with the Knicks..going, going, gone?

The Knicks Fix

"Can I get an encore/do you want more?
    Cookin raw with the Brooklyn boy
    So for one last time I need y'all to roar

I feel you Jay...but let me change up the beat.[​IMG]
    Tap-tap-ta-dap-dap-tap/tap-tap-ta-dap-dap-tap...
    Who can you say has got more skills?
    Who's more jinxed than the Buffalo Bills?
    Starburys game once loaded like a clip
    Quick on the draw and murder with the rip
    But KG jealousy, Minnesota misery
    Got himself the max, but minimum's the history
    Prodigal son was a hometown hero
    Playoff record is a zip-fo-career-o
    Points lotta fingers but don't check the mirro
    Sad to be leavin but won't shed no tear-o...

LOL. Enough of that. A little freestyling on a Saturday morning. I know I'm garbage so if you can do better have at it, hoss. That's what the comments area is for.

The Marbury Debate seems to be growing here in Fixer Nation. On the live chat there were a few of you who argued in favor of keeping Stephon Marbury and I can accept those arguements.

I don't agree, but I accept.

In an idealistic world, Marbury arrives at training camp in the best shape of his life, Starbury tat and all. He and his Amazon.com specials squeak circles around a hic-burping Chis Duhon in the early morning practices and Mike D'Antoni sees his style, as Marbury put it "the system my game was built for."

It's the Summer Steph we all fall in love with, myself included. He's smiling, engaging and brimming with optimism. You fall for it every time because you want to. Sure maybe he's a little bit crazy but it's funnier at 0-0.

Ask his teammates -- some of whom had put him on iggy a long time ago but are still annoyed by his overbearing ubiquity -- and they'll tell you, with Marbury it never was about talent. It never was about the physical. It's the mental. His inability to be a leader -- which is OK, really, some people just aren't natural leaders. The problem is, those people usually recognize that. Marbury doesn't.

So maybe he will, finally. Maybe Donnie Walsh sits down with him, makes it Cristal clear: this ain't your team anymore, son. He can't be named among the captains, not that captain is anything more these days than someone who shakes hands with the referees before games. But the locker room needs to know, that crazy dude who wears No. 3 no longer has the key to the Garden. He can't speak with authority or any kind of command. If he remains -- and that's a big if -- he'll be one of 15. Only Starberman's persistence to get him to say something controversial and strong performances on the court will keep him relevant.

But why bother? You already know you don't have a first-round pick in 2010 (Utah will take it). The 2009 pick is protected as long as the Knicks don't finish in the top eight, so what really is the plan here? How many more wins could a healthy, mentally-balanced Marbury get you with this roster? Is it really worth it? Whether he stays or is bought out, the number stays on the roster for the season. What you're paying for is the hope he won't be a negative force -- publicly disagreeing with yet another coach, sulking on the bench, having his generally inane comments turned into headlines by his personal biographer -- as opposed to the guarantee he won't be.

I doubt the Knicks suddenly turn into a playoff team just because Marbury is gone and wholly agree that, talent-wise, they are better with him in the lineup than Chris Duhon. But there is more to building a team -- and rebuilding a franchise -- than just organizing talent. There is reforming the perception of your team and the standard by which you do business. It's similar to the San Francisco Giants and Barry Bonds. Are they better without him? Absolutely not. But they are better off moving forward without him.

(Not comparing Marbury to Bonds on any level -- from talent to criminality -- but comparing the situations of two teams that needed to get away from media lightning rods and allow their work environments to clear out and become stable again).

This debate may already be moot because the damage may have already been done. James Dolan has never hesitated to spend money to make headaches go away. Marbury doesn't get into Theo Fleury trouble and quite often you would think Dolan would always side with the guy who is simply a media lightning rod. But any of Dolan's famous loyalty had to be spent during and after the Anucha Browne Sanders trial. Marbury was an unwitting co-star in the testimony against the Garden and his careless behavior before, during and afterward was enough to have Dolan and Isiah Thomas contemplating a buyout last fall.

I asked someone with intimate knowledge of the new Knick heirarchy what they plan to do with the Marbury situation and was told, "We'll do the right thing."

There was no elaboration."

Originally Posted by Alan Hahn on Newsday.com, July 26, 2008 8:46 AM
  2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

My lord, you could make lists of players who had the talent, the physical attributes who could not do it.

But Marbury is a unique case because the NBA has fed into his self-delusion every step of the way. It's funny how management can be such a sucker for talent every time.
  3. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    Yeah, just take Pistons and Kwame, for example.
    :stirthepot:
  4. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

At least this guy has enough flake to quit the team as soon as the going gets tough.
    Why don't we hear more from the traders about CB [+] for Marbury?
  5. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    Was Marbury available for a trade and were Knicks interested in Chauncey?
  6. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Maybe that's why.