Knicks-Nuggets brawl

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by lurker, Dec 16, 2006.

1. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I'm not sure these guys know how to give a good old hard foul these days. They've never really seen it done. It's not the arms, it's the body that works best.

When they try the only thing they know how to do is from a WWF commercial.

2. max

max All-Star

Giving a hard foul if someone tried that at the end of a blowout used to almost be a guarantee. I have seen that several times in the past.

Shaq? Laimbeer once sent Shaq to the floor in Shaq's rookie season. It was the only year where the 2 played in the same season. Shaq was not too happy about it. Lamb wanted to send the arrogant rookie a message.

3. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Wasn't the fight between Kobe and Indys 3 shooter because Kobe shot a 3 in GT? He didn't go to the hole. I don't remember if the Lakers had a 20 pt lead or not.

4. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

PTI reports that Northwest Airlines pulled all of their December inflight (backseat pocket) magazines that had Carmelo featured on the cover?? I guess they thought they would lose customers.......:confused:

5. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

Perhaps they wanted to be Sucka Free!! :pound: :pound: :pound:

6. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

Absolutely ridiculous. Laughable. Escape goating to the nth degree.

7. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Yeah and Philly just wiped AIs image from their programs. Slightly diff. reasons.

8. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

9. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Foul image bugs Collins - Newsday.com

10. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

11. lemonpen

lemonpen First Round Draft Pick

Unwritten rules.
    You don't steal bases with 5+ run leads late in a game.
    You don't admire home runs too long from the batters box.
    You don't fling 30 yard passes with 4 TD leads in the 4th qtr.
    You don't invoke the no-layup rule when leading by 20 late in a game (Artest)
    So on and so forth.

In decoded form, DON'T EMBARRASS YOUR OPPONENT.

There are consequences and reprocussions. And so there should be.

12. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

Not weird, just no shame. It's like the turret door at the Waldorf, the sliding muffled rubber sound from the bottom of the doors announcing the grand entrance of yet another cue for fifteen minutes of fame.

I am embarrassed for McMorri.

13. max

max All-Star

from article -

In all honesty though. That probably was the most excitement fans at the Garden had in a long time. If there were any school age kids there they probably went to school the next day bragging to their friends that they were there.

Not saying it was right. Its a basketball game not the WWF but I am sure the fan reaction was more of an extra bonus entertainment deal rather than this conception that anyone was mentally disturbed by it.

Who are we kidding here?

14. lurker

lurker First Round Draft Pick

I, for one, am grateful that someone has the courage to be looking out for America's youth. It's just not acceptable for the NBA to expose our children to the grotesque spectacle of a bunch of dudes running around in their jammies making tough guy poses, pushing and slapping at each other, and running away. If we can't change the culture so that it's OK to bring kids to NBA games, then parents need to just keep them home where they can engage in more wholesome activities, like watching violent movies, playing first-person shooter games, and getting into all kinds of trouble on the Internet.

15. linwood

linwood All-Star

Great post. I appreciate your moral outrage!

:pound:

16. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

My friend's wife doesn't want their son to play sports because she doesn't dislikes "all that...competativeness" This rubs my pal the wrong way because he was a tough competitor.

People who complain about the fights don't recognize the value of something like this. 1. Stand up for yourself. 2. When things do bad, you deal with the consequences. 3. The best way to avoid getting punched is to back pedal like a maniac.

One of the best lesson someone can take from this is that your role models (melo) can be fallible. and its something the NBA marketing machine seems to want to whitewash.

17. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

For crying out loud!!!!! I have read alot of articles about the brawl and to me it is bordering on down right insanity.

First of, that melee in New York was not a brawl. It seems strange to me how players rush out of the dug out in baseball push, shove and swing at eachother and no one cries how it is a stain on the league. It is played on Sportscenter everyone has a good laugh and a few guy's are suspended a couple of games. It is all in competition. Stuff happens.

So why is it different in basketball? I hate to bring this up but is it because a lot of these basketball players come from rough environments? Some of the neighborhoods these basketball players learned to play in many people are afraid to even drive through in fear that something bad might happen to them. That same fear is why David Stern wanted the dress code because the image his players were reflecting in their hip-hop attired scarred the crap out of a lot of upper class fat cats with silver spoons in their mouths.

No matter how much you try to change these players and dress them up you can not hide where they came from what they have went through growing up and what they are. These players have to be accountable and have to want to change their ways. These players have to realize on their own that maybe some of the people they associate with may cause them conflict. I am not saying forget where you came from or get new friends but you have to be smart. If you are a star player worth millions of dollars you can't be in a car with your friends with drugs and loaded guns.

The league sold itself to the darkside the day its owners decided it was okay to not test its players for weed, overlook a troubled past or excuse a guy who has been in and out of the criminal system simply because he can play basketball.

So David Stern please spare me your high and mighty act.

18. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Human Pride...double Sided blade.
    OK we've seen this over and over. How about faulting the system. The Refs and the league they semi manage.
    The Knicks took the beating fair and square until GT. THEN they hard fouled. Why didn't the refs in a blowout situation have the power to limit Karls players to bench guys. The 2 minute warning rule. The Garbage Time Rule. Speak to the issues.
    Don't say you're in charge if you're oblivious to Human Pride!

19. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

We should be rooting for the Knicks... the last thing we need is for them to have the worst record and Chicago swap picks... Greg Oden in Chicago would be sick.

20. max

max All-Star

Can't believe they got 2 picks for Curry.