Knicks to buy-out Larry Brown Where will he End up Next Season?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by armygirl, May 15, 2006.

1. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Now that it is pretty much official, Larry Brown continues his coaching carousel.

Hate to say I told you so, but I knew that life would be absolutely miserable in New York. As soon as I seen the report of another medical issue near the end of this season, it was only the prelude to LB getting out of dodge.

Zeke have to be somewhat accountable for this mess that he created.

This is my list of teams that will be looking at LB once he leaves New York:

1. Wizards -- defintely need a defensive minded coach. Ernie Grunfield is balking and doing the dallas two-step about extending Eddie Jordan't contract.

2. Kings- Here's a match made in heaven, Ron Artest & LB.

3. Indiana (again) - Word out of Indiana; Larry Bird & Rick are feuding publicly.

2. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

I guess the only way I could see Brown coaching in the NBA again (assuming that is his desire), is if he signs a one year deal for a reasonable amount of money. I don't see him doing either of those things. I don't see any other team doing what New York did, and I thought at the time that they were crazy for doing it.

I don't think a college could afford him either. I think he is done coaching, but I can see him in the broadcast booth or working in some other capacity with a team.

Personally, I don't care much what happens to him. I know he isn't going back to the Pistons and MSU has Izzo, so I ain't worried about it. :)

3. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

He is totally responsible. Who thought hiring Larry Brown to coach the Knicks was a good idea? I guess to be fair Isiah is not responsible for Scott Layden ....but the LB mess is all on Zeke.

4. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

I think it's on the owner too. Zeke almost destroyed the CBA. Why hire him and put him in a position to screw up the franchise in the first place? :doh:

5. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

I completely disagree. This is all on the Knicks players. They sucked before LB got there and once one of the best coaches in basketball arrived, they thought is was their job to immediately begin ignoring said coach and spend the whole year %%%%%ing and half-assing because they don't get to do whatever THEY want.

Why have a coach then, if you're just going to let all the players dictate what they will and won't do? A coach is supposed to be the boss, however, the entire planet appears to support and excuse open insubbordination. Screw the Knicks (players) and I hope they have an even worse season next year if they blame all of this on, and subsequently, buy out LB.

6. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

This is a false statement that has been hyped and perpetuated by those in the media that have a deep dislike for Zeke. Most of the info on this issue is readily available on the internet and this should no longer be accepted as fact.

7. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

its 33/33/33 i think.

33% players - marburys quote into the season saying LB ball wasn't working and its time to be 'starbury again' sums up most of their attitudes

33% coach - LB has to be a bit more flexible given the squad he had. he can't expect to coach like he did with the pistons and expect to win with the knicks. also changing his lineups on a daily basis was never conducive to building chemistry.

33% management - this has to be one of the worst assembled teams in history. and that comes down to management. zeke should be fired honestly.

1% shelley - just because.

8. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Larry's as responsible for the Knicks winning as Flip is for the Pistons. I think LB has learned a lot about humilty over the last couple years.... he can't get away with demeaning veteran players... but there's something wrong with a system that you have to have two sets of rules for acceptable performance.
    IMO it's a 50/50 split on fault... Isiah brought in players that were defensive liabilities and questionable work ethics.

I will agree that Zeke had limited resources to make the CBA succeed...He didn't have the capital required to generate a solid marketing campaign... he also had Stern trying to sabatoge his efforts.

9. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

He sold it to the Players Union and they let it die? He used it to threaten the NBA via strike and lockouts. Give me more Low.
    What about a NBDL vs Con.BA finals game?

10. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

All of prior managements players have been replaced... this was the Zeke show (with some of Larry's blessings).

On the Shelley thing... there's something there that bothers me... never seen a Lawyer that could keep their trap shut.... I think she had more to say in the Detroit situation than Larry did... she did not like Detroit.

11. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

All true Low, but Zeke brought Marbury and LB together. If you took a poll and asked folks if they thought LB and Marbury would be able to peacefully coexist I'll bet well over 90% would say hell no. So it falls on Zeke for putting a great coach and a talented player together that everyone knew wouldn't get along.

Most eight year olds (and maybe even a cat or two) could have figured that out.

12. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

WNBA Baby!

13. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

if larry pulls this off and is getting paid by the pistons, knicks, and another team (sac kings) at the same time, having made around $75 million for 2 years of coaching, then i will bow down to larry because as bad as that is, that's totally impressive from a purely capitalistic point of view.

14. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

That is the most intriguing view possible. Very Correct. Now we know why that was Larry's dream job....- Get Huge 5 year deal, coach 1 year and get paid record breaking dollars for the other 4 in retirement......Larry needs to go into porfolio management, that's one helluva retirement plan.

15. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Oh come on, what is this guy going to do with the money? He would rather coach than do anything else in the World. I don't think that he planned this out.

I don't see anyone hiring him next year.

16. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Here's how I see it panning out...
    Doland & Isiah save face by offering LB a cushy consulting gig.
    LB does TV for ABC/ESPN
    He opens a camp where he can still teach and stay in his native N.Y. area.

17. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I heard he is going to the Kings. Is that true? LB to coach the man that scarred his child for life by having to wittness the brawl?

18. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Looking at the numbers for coaching the pistons in 05 he took $13mill to the bank, for coaching the Knicks in 06 he'll grab $31mill. that's $22mill a year salary for the last two seasons.......DUDE IS GENIUS WHO'S YOUR DADDY NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:whoo:

19. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I propose that he could have made more $ by doing it "the right way".

At the same time, he could have built on his legacy... instead of tarnished it. He could have written books, put out an instructional DVD, sat in on TNT as an analyst, coached the Pistons to 3 consecutive Titles, etc. What a putz.

20. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Now that would be a gr8 side show... Ronnie & LB fighting over press clippings... I'm pretty certain that Larry needs turmoil in his life... keeps his mind off the catheter.