Kobe wants a trade, unless The Logo comes back

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Dumars4Ever, May 28, 2007.

1. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

From ESPN:

Boo-hoo...my team can't magically make lemons out of lemonade. I can't say that I disagree with much of what T.J. Simers of the L.A. Times says in this article, where he calls out Kobe for whining.

2. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

Kobe is the one that wanted Shaq out right? So he could put his stamp on the team and not have to share the offense limelight with Shaq. So Kobe sometimes you get what you ask for. You are the leader and you aren't up to the job. There's plenty of talent on that Laker team, they don't need Jerry West. Everytime Kobe whines about losing, he should be told "Well, where would the team be if you hadn't run Shaq off with all your superstar grandiosity?"

Who do they have playing Shaq's part in the triangle offense these days. Kwame Brown and Andrew Bynum. Isn't that it? Kwame is injured alot and Bynum is developing but very raw still.

WYSIWYG, Black Mamba, WYSIWYG.

3. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

Yeah, Kobe definitely wanted Shaq out. On the other hand, Shaq wanted to get his money too, and he was conspicuously overweight during their last couple of playoff runs. Kobe was mostly tagged as the villain by the media during that off-season (summer '04) that ended up with Shaq being traded to Miami, but there were definitely no "good guys" in the whole thing as far as I was concerned.

4. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Kobe is probably the best player in the NBA. He's the most consistent, he plays both ways and he is unbelievably clutch. While everyone talks about whether LeBron should shoot or pass, Kobe is the guy who would have scored and won the game on an +1 free throw.

I don't have a problem with this. Mitch Kupchak hasn't been a very good GM and Kobe is hungry to win NOW. I would be disappointed if he was complacent or just went through the motions, but that has never been Kobe's way. The guy is a worker.

I don't like his personality, but the guy can flat out ball.

5. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

No doubt that he's a great player, certainly better than LeBron, but doesn't he also bear some responsibility for the situation they're in? There's nothing wrong with him taking lots of shots, since he's far and away the best player on his team. But given what happened with Shaq, doesn't it suggest to other top-level guys that if they go to the Lakers and don't get on Kobe's good side for whatever reason, then the whole thing will fail?

6. roscoe36

The underlying issues with a lot of teams, like Minnesota and the Lakers is that they are in cap hell and have lesser GMs.

Folks want to play with Kobe and KG, but the money doesn't work, and it's a money driven league.

The Lakers turned Shaq into Odom and Kwame Brown. Odom can't stay healthy and Brown is barely a starter in this league.

7. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

I guess that's true, but it goes back to how Kobe probably should have been more careful about getting what he wished for. He obviously thought they could get back to contending before too long with the personnel and cap space that would result from moving Shaq, but it didn't work out, and now he's stuck with a mediocre team. Trying harder to make it work with the big guy (who wasn't trying too hard himself) probably would have been Kobe's best move, as opposed to helping blow the whole thing up and hoping to get back to contender status.

8. Maverick

Maverick First Round Draft Pick

Dont forget Butler that is now doing very well in Washington...

Honestly I think a lineup of Bynum, Odom,Butler,Kobe, and a decent PG is enough to advance a round in the playoffs.. on second thought..

trade bynum for Kidd and youd have...

Butler,Odom,Kobe,Kidd add a center and voila DANGEROUS team.

9. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

Kobe doesn't make those around him better. Kobe is a selfish player who does not think of the team. When Kobe rewrites his contract to allow for more quality players on his team, then he can be seen in a new light. If Kobe doesn't like his situation, then demand a trade. Jerry West is done with basketball. Time for Jerry to enjoy golf. Time for Kobe to stand up and make his team better. Kobe is a Filet of Weiner.

10. max

max All-Star

The Kobe/Shaq show was done. He knew it, Shaq knew it, and the Lakers knew it. Shaq is making too much money now to put together a complete team around. Miami is running into the same trouble now.

If Kobe wants to go then try and get as many young players and picks out it that you can. I don't think he going anywhere. My guess is they hire West back and give him what he wants.

11. roscoe36

Can Kobe be better? Without doubt. He can improve his leadership skills. But then, maybe being the best scorer in basketball means that a certain selfishness is required.

I just keep looking at KG who has afforded Minnesota opportunity after opportunity to assemble a roster around him (even taking a pay cut) and the front office incompetence is too much to overcome.

There is definitely two sides to this story. Is it about Kobe being a petulant prima donna or a player who refuses to endorse his General Manager, who has basically presided over taking the team apart, not building it up or maintaining it. You almost have to wonder where Phil Jackson falls on this debate. Is Kobe speaking the words he wish he could say?

12. Nemo

I think Jackson signed for the dough. There are low expectations, and he is LOVED by the Lakers. His legacy is all set. Kobe is more concerned about his legacy. That's why the wine fest..........

13. roscoe36

Well, I feel pretty comfortable saying that if Kobe is traded, it will hurt the Lakers more than it hurts him. And I assume that is the leverage he is trying to apply to affect change.

14. Nemo

I see the Lakers improving once Kobe is gone. Same way the 76ers began to shape up once their albatross left.

15. roscoe36

I don't like Kobe at all as a person, but he might be one of the 3 best basketball players I have ever watched. Iverson had physical limitations (size) which hurt his ability to play the 2 (his natural position) and defend larger guards.

Kobe has none of those problems. He's a true 2 and one of the best man defenders in the league.

16. Murph

Murph First Round Draft Pick

I'm thinking that when Kobe gave the Lakers that ultimatum two years ago, "This team ain't big enough for the both of us. Either Shaq goes or I go," the Lakers made a very, very bad choice.

17. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

I can't stand Kobe. I'm wondering whether I could bring myself to root for him if he were on the Pistons. I don't think I could. I go all out to win fantasy sports, but I've never attempted to get him on my team. I hated rooting for him the one day I picked him in Ozarks contest.

He's a despicable selfish bastard, albeit a gifted one. He only wants better players on the team to make him look better. He wants great players on the team to stand around and be there on his off nights. I can't see anyone with great talent putting up with him.

18. roscoe36

19. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

OK, so two days after Kobe said this on his blog:

He says this to Stephen A. Smith on the radio:

Nice. Credibility all the way for the Mamba.

Of course the Lakers have been idiots in this thing as well, and now Jerry Buss has been arrested on suspicion of DUI (though I doubt that has anything to do with what Kobe's been saying). They're all a bunch of tools.

20. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion